The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 17 November 2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Why Rolex?

Hello guys. I know I said I was supposed to be staying away from these forums to study for a upcoming test, but just too hard to stay away.

Since I was away I bought a OQ 17000 and in the process of ordering an explorer. That means some watches will have to go. My Omega AT quartz is one of them. Will sell it to a friend for $300USD. (Someone is getting a deal.) First sold by a dealer earlier this year.

Now to my question of WHY ROLEX?

I look at the AT case and it just seems better built than my DJs. The lugs look stronger, it has SEL, the bracelet seems stronger. Hidden clasp.

But with all that said, I just seem to be drawn to Rolex like a moth to a light. On the surface the Omega case build seems every bit as good as Rolex. Maybe better. (Not taking into consideration the movement.)

But in my mind, Rolex will always be king to me. I think Omega makes GREAT watches. But to me they will always be second to Rolex. Could be the movement, resale value, and I like the fact that Rolex does not heavily discount.

But looking at the AT, I wonder how much of it comes down to marketing and brand perception. I do not want to bash Omega at all because I like the brand a lot. But what separates Rolex apart for you guys?
Old 17 November 2005, 11:35 PM   #2
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

How silly of me, the answer was so simple.
Old 17 November 2005, 11:53 PM   #3
JuniorPhatFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
The chicks dig it.
Right on the $$$...
Old 17 November 2005, 11:57 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well why Rolex well that question must have been asked on many forums 100s
of times.Well some say its for the in-house movement,but now just mass
produced,like many others.Some say for the prestige factor,some say its the
best brand in the world.But your Rolex is one of the most reliable accurate workhorse watches produced today.But so are a good few others including Omega.But none have the marketing brand image of Rolex.Now that is very important to some,myself now quite happy to wear anything from a Poljot to
a Rolex.And what you wear on your wrist,should be your choice and not what
the market tells you wear.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 18 November 2005, 12:14 AM   #5
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
As Padi said, that question has been asked many times, and answered in many ways. But the bottom line is - subperb marketing. As you yourself noted, there are other watches that are equal to Rolex in materials and/or workmanship. But none has the cachet or status of Rolex. What makes Mercedes the desirable car it is? Same thing. Marketing.

However, it must be said that both products began life as high quality manufactures. Rolex came up with a number of innovations while maintaining a reputation for quality and ruggedness. And it was among the first to do so. By keeping to its tradition of building high quality, tough, and good looking (even though not the most imaginative) designs, it has been able to hold on to its reputation and therefore its marketing presence.

Why are you drawn to Rolex? Because as much as we all bitch about it, it's a wonderful, high quality, rugged timekeeper. And we love it.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 18 November 2005, 12:15 AM   #6
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I think, for me, I've come to the conclusion that it's a combination of classic looks, robust movement, and comfort. Rolex bracelets fit me right out of the box, perfectly. May not be the best, but they're the only bracelets I leave on the watch and continue to use. I love them!

Those are the only reasons I have.
Old 18 November 2005, 12:26 AM   #7
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Bruce, I think you hit the nail on the head and made me realize something when you said classic.

I guess one of the many reasons I am drawn to the brand is it is classic. You just got an explorer, I will hopfully get mine at Christmas. But the explorer, the sub, and the DJ, over the years they just seem to remain classic.

I like that. Look at a sub, DJ, or explorer from 20 years ago and compare it to a new one. Different? Yes. But still very much the same.

Other watch brands seem to always be coming out with new models. That keeps their brand "fresh". But I guess I prefer classic to a "fresh design."
Old 18 November 2005, 12:32 AM   #8
BruceS
"TRF" Member

I know. I longed for "fresh design" and strayed away from Rolex. I was lured by finely finished bracelets, stylish cases, etc. In the end, I wasn't happy. I love my Explorer so much that it's already like a part of me. I never felt that with my Breguet or my Panerais. I had FUN with the Panerai, but it was never like a part of me.
Old 18 November 2005, 12:43 AM   #9
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
I had FUN with the Panerai, but it was never like a part of me.
I know what you mean Bruce, put for me it was a total different expierence, I find that I like my YM, but I also like having other quality brands to go to.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
Old 18 November 2005, 12:39 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

First off, great to see ya Mark, hope you are well. For me it is a few reasons, the wearing comfort and classic good looks is a biggie. The name does have a personal ring of achievement, and I can.

And the biggest of all, what Johnny said.

Old 18 November 2005, 09:23 PM   #11
upyoursebay
Banned

There is a lot to learn out there - and I am learning all the time.

The advertising “logo/campaign” in Italy (and abroad) for Breil “Don’t touch my Breil” has obviously worked wonders for the millions that like to buy and wear a Breil watch.
This Forum and many others are more like “Don’t touch my Rolex” and a little bit like the three wise monkeys (no see, no hear, no speak) – no one really dares to upset anyone.
As far as I am concerned Breil are just “nasty” watches. Average production cost is around $25 and they sell for $200.
I could say the same for Rolex, but I can’t as many of you will only faint or become hysterical.
Rolex is all about marketing – and a very clever one for that matter.
It is in fact one of the very few companies that advertise (here in UK anyway) on newspapers, magazines and television. Franck Muller is now having a television presence in the form of a nice long advertisement about his watches.
I have read and I have researched and I have come to my own conclusions. A lot of the information out there is wrong and misleading and even the so called famous Dowling or Brozek get their facts wrong and/or without proof.
They too are part of the Rolex marketing machine and only when someone like Walt Odets say something different, the Rolex community goes up in arms.
There is nothing magical and nothing special about Rolex watches. They have of course a lovely style that appeal to many and that “mystical” charisma that has been portrayed as a fairy tale since Hans Wilsdorf was born (and where a lot has only been speculation).
Ignorance has been the fall of many Empires and it is only ignorance that is keeping Rolex name alive and high.
To appreciate Rolex (and Mercedes like someone else has mentioned) – you must also know a lot about the other brands out there. How much does anyone know about Zenith, Ulysse Nardin, Parmigiani, Graham, Corum or even a Bell & Ross? How many of you have driven Mercedes, BMW, Saab, Chrysler, Bentley, Jaguar, Porsche, Lexus and Audi cars? All cars, anyway, that have a status symbol.
Rolex is only a status symbol watch because we let them be and only because the mass media out there recognize the name. Should we go to the pub or night club with a £100,000 Patek or Ulysse Nardin, 99.9% wouldn’t know what the watch is worth. However, if we walk in with a Rolex, everyone thinks that we “are it”.
“I hope this comment stays – as the last one I inserted was actually cancelled”. In one of the forums I found out that the average age of people in the forums is around 39-41 years of age. I will be delighted to entertain positive exchange of ideas with others should anyone wish to ask sensible questions.
Old 18 November 2005, 10:14 PM   #12
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upyoursebay
The advertising “logo/campaign” in Italy (and abroad) for Breil “Don’t touch my Breil” has obviously worked wonders for the millions that like to buy and wear a Breil watch.
This Forum and many others are more like “Don’t touch my Rolex” and a little bit like the three wise monkeys (no see, no hear, no speak) – no one really dares to upset anyone.
As far as I am concerned Breil are just “nasty” watches. Average production cost is around $25 and they sell for $200.
I could say the same for Rolex, but I can’t as many of you will only faint or become hysterical.
It is in fact one of the very few companies that advertise (here in UK anyway) on newspapers, magazines and television. Franck Muller is now having a television presence in the form of a nice long advertisement about his watches.
I have read and I have researched and I have come to my own conclusions. A lot of the information out there is wrong and misleading and even the so called famous Dowling or Brozek get their facts wrong and/or without proof.
They too are part of the Rolex marketing machine and only when someone like Walt Odets say something different, the Rolex community goes up in arms.
There is nothing magical and nothing special about Rolex watches. They have of course a lovely style that appeal to many and that “mystical” charisma that has been portrayed as a fairy tale since Hans Wilsdorf was born (and where a lot has only been speculation).
Ignorance has been the fall of many Empires and it is only ignorance that is keeping Rolex name alive and high.
To appreciate Rolex (and Mercedes like someone else has mentioned) – you must also know a lot about the other brands out there. How much does anyone know about Zenith, Ulysse Nardin, Parmigiani, Graham, Corum or even a Bell & Ross? How many of you have driven Mercedes, BMW, Saab, Chrysler, Bentley, Jaguar, Porsche, Lexus and Audi cars? All cars, anyway, that have a status symbol.
Rolex is only a status symbol watch because we let them be and only because the mass media out there recognize the name. Should we go to the pub or night club with a £100,000 Patek or Ulysse Nardin, 99.9% wouldn’t know what the watch is worth. However, if we walk in with a Rolex, everyone thinks that we “are it”.
“I hope this comment stays – as the last one I inserted was actually cancelled”. In one of the forums I found out that the average age of people in the forums is around 39-41 years of age. I will be delighted to entertain positive exchange of ideas with others should anyone wish to ask sensible questions.
I have seriously thought about UN, AP, JLC, Zenith, and Grand Seiko. But when it came time to pony up the money, I seem to come back to Rolex.

If Rolex was not so well recognized, then a better discount could probably be had. I'd be happy with that.

To say "Ignorance has been the fall of many Empires and it is only ignorance that is keeping Rolex name alive and high." is a bold statement. To the average person you may in fact be right. But the people who come to forums like this, I would not say are your average uneducated watch buyer.

You also stated "To appreciate Rolex (and Mercedes like someone else has mentioned) – you must also know a lot about the other brands out there. " That sounds reasonable. I'd be curious to hear what timepieces you have owned and some specifics on how you think they compare to Rolex.
Old 18 November 2005, 11:33 PM   #13
upyoursebay
Banned

Time pieces and .....

I am far from being a technical person. My deepest respect must go to someone like Mr. Odets and the technical staff here in London that looks after my watches and where, on occasions, I have learnt something new (but, I am afraid, I am still very ignorant). My collection has had a number of Rolex watches: Submariner, Sea-dweller, Yacht-Master, GMT, Explorer, Daytona and a few of the gold ones (by the way – not one keeps the right time). On a daily basis I wear the Submariner although I think the Sea-dweller is probably my favorite. I have no “respect” for the Daytona and I don’t think much of the Yacht-master. I think it is probably easier and shorter to say what I haven’t got – these are – Parmigiani, Patek, Vacheron and Breguet. I prefer Oris to Omega while Bell & Ross is nice but I would say is overpriced. I like Tudor but my favorites are probably Corum and Ulysse Nardin. I have several Zenith, but I prefer a Revue-Thommen flyback against them or even a nice Sothis Spirit of moon.
Rolex is for showing off and, admittedly so, I wear them. But if I read carefully what I like and what I have written, I see that my instinct is attracted by practical somewhat elegant watches and, at the same time, what I very much consider good value for money (hence a Tudor compared to a Rolex - ~ even if the movement is different ~)
In Basel, a few years ago, I picked up a Chinese book on watches. Almost like “reading” Playboy my attention went straight to the pictures and there were some taken with a microscope on components made – IN HOUSE – by Ulysse Nardin. If I can scan them, I will send them to this Forum. In comparison look at the pictures taken but Walt Odets for the Rolex movement and you might understand my skepticism.
If we all get real and do a vivisection on most watches and their components, sadly so, the average price is $150 per piece (including Rolex movement). Hence my trend is to go for brands like Glycine, Oris, Tudor and Revue-Thommen where there is quality but not high prices. The most expensive watch that I have is a gold Rolex with a few diamonds and baguettes at £12,000. My dream for a Parmigiani Toric, Breguet Classique, Patek Sky-moon (VERY nice) and a UN Freak, will only remain dreams.
What I don’t like, apart from some obvious “low class” brands, are – most models of Tag-Heuer (they have been taking the **** for far too long), Paul Picot, Maurice Lacorix, Audemars Piguet, Hublot, Piaget and Ebel, while the Omega (somewhat ok”ish”) doesn’t do anything for me at all.
PS – I drive BMW and not Mercedes (while I think Bentley is probably my favorite) and I was not referring to anyone in the forum as ignorant but to the public at large out there.
Old 24 November 2005, 07:01 AM   #14
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
I am far from being a technical person. My deepest respect must go to someone like Mr. Odets and the technical staff here in London that looks after my watches and where, on occasions, I have learnt something new (but, I am afraid, I am still very ignorant). My collection has had a number of Rolex watches: Submariner, Sea-dweller, Yacht-Master, GMT, Explorer, Daytona and a few of the gold ones (by the way – not one keeps the right time). On a daily basis I wear the Submariner although I think the Sea-dweller is probably my favorite. I have no “respect” for the Daytona and I don’t think much of the Yacht-master. I think it is probably easier and shorter to say what I haven’t got – these are – Parmigiani, Patek, Vacheron and Breguet. I prefer Oris to Omega while Bell & Ross is nice but I would say is overpriced. I like Tudor but my favorites are probably Corum and Ulysse Nardin. I have several Zenith, but I prefer a Revue-Thommen flyback against them or even a nice Sothis Spirit of moon.
Rolex is for showing off and, admittedly so, I wear them. But if I read carefully what I like and what I have written, I see that my instinct is attracted by practical somewhat elegant watches and, at the same time, what I very much consider good value for money (hence a Tudor compared to a Rolex - ~ even if the movement is different ~)
In Basel, a few years ago, I picked up a Chinese book on watches. Almost like “reading” Playboy my attention went straight to the pictures and there were some taken with a microscope on components made – IN HOUSE – by Ulysse Nardin. If I can scan them, I will send them to this Forum. In comparison look at the pictures taken but Walt Odets for the Rolex movement and you might understand my skepticism.
If we all get real and do a vivisection on most watches and their components, sadly so, the average price is $150 per piece (including Rolex movement). Hence my trend is to go for brands like Glycine, Oris, Tudor and Revue-Thommen where there is quality but not high prices. The most expensive watch that I have is a gold Rolex with a few diamonds and baguettes at £12,000. My dream for a Parmigiani Toric, Breguet Classique, Patek Sky-moon (VERY nice) and a UN Freak, will only remain dreams.
What I don’t like, apart from some obvious “low class” brands, are – most models of Tag-Heuer (they have been taking the **** for far too long), Paul Picot, Maurice Lacorix, Audemars Piguet, Hublot, Piaget and Ebel, while the Omega (somewhat ok”ish”) doesn’t do anything for me at all.
PS – I drive BMW and not Mercedes (while I think Bentley is probably my favorite) and I was not referring to anyone in the forum as ignorant but to the public at large out there.
Upyours, (a good pick for your own screen name) you have put forth nothing but your disjointed mis-informed opinion. You have presented NO facts to support any of your ravings. Many have pointed out how hypocritical you come across. How would you know the manufacturing cost of any Rolex? You do not. If you own any Rolex watches, let's see some pictures. I doubt you own any. Then you throw in a Patek Sky/Moon, recently selling for 1.3 MILLION dollars as a comparison to Rolex???? You come across as a troll to me and I notice your responses have stopped because you fulfilled your intention of being a troll. As far as my research I have turned up NO review W Odets has ever written on a Rolex that is complementary. (He even gives a good review to a Swatch) BTW, when Zenith movements were used in the Daytona, out of 250 parts, 220 were either modified or changed. So much for the great Zenith movement. What exactly does "none of my Rolex watches keep the correct time"? A meaningless statement to add to your troll posts. =) maverick
Old 18 November 2005, 11:33 PM   #15
Atomic

Quote:
Sounds like someone needs a hug

Last edited by Atomic; 18 November 2005 at 11:34 PM..

Old 19 November 2005, 12:42 AM   #16
upyoursebay
Banned

Icon5 ..and who is behind Forums?

As Geda pointed out “this IS a Rolex forum, and the betting odds, therefore, would be in favor of Rolex's positive image around these parts - shock horror” – well – Yes! Shock AND horror as the word Forum means “a public place for discussions”. If discussions are only going one way and are submitted on behalf of Rolex’s positive image, it isn’t really much of a Forum. ((Is someone getting paid = by Rolex = for these Forums!?))
With reference to “your self-proclaimed role as bearer of the torch of truth” – it may be so but having read so many distorted (inaccurate and speculative) reports and books from all over the place I often wonder why there is such a following on a watch (Submariner for example) that in reality only costs $150 to make.
I buy them, I think they are “crap” for what they are and far too much over rated – but I surely don’t go in ecstasy only by looking at the dial (unlike previous postings on this forum) – i.e. get a life!
Rolex UK gross profits (out of £83,429,000 turnover) for last year were £11,481,000.
Swiss Rolex turnover for 2003 was 2,6000,000,000 CHF – while Rolex’s holding company (Fondation Hans Wilsdorf) is worth some 199,000,000,000 CHF in assets alone. Basically one of the top richest companies in Europe.
It has nothing to do with the torch of truth but with other realities that do not encompass what the brand really is and the movement.
Old 19 November 2005, 12:49 AM   #17
Atomic

Quote:
As Geda pointed out “this IS a Rolex forum, and the betting odds, therefore, would be in favor of Rolex's positive image around these parts - shock horror” – well – Yes! Shock AND horror as the word Forum means “a public place for discussions”. If discussions are only going one way and are submitted on behalf of Rolex’s positive image, it isn’t really much of a Forum. ((Is someone getting paid = by Rolex = for these Forums!?))
With reference to “your self-proclaimed role as bearer of the torch of truth” – it may be so but having read so many distorted (inaccurate and speculative) reports and books from all over the place I often wonder why there is such a following on a watch (Submariner for example) that in reality only costs $150 to make.
I buy them, I think they are “crap” for what they are and far too much over rated – but I surely don’t go in ecstasy only by looking at the dial (unlike previous postings on this forum) – i.e. get a life!
Rolex UK gross profits (out of £83,429,000 turnover) for last year were £11,481,000.
Swiss Rolex turnover for 2003 was 2,6000,000,000 CHF – while Rolex’s holding company (Fondation Hans Wilsdorf) is worth some 199,000,000,000 CHF in assets alone. Basically one of the top richest companies in Europe.
It has nothing to do with the torch of truth but with other realities that do not encompass what the brand really is and the movement.
So really, what is your point?

People on this forum are passionate about all watches, particularly Rolex. Some perhaps more passionate than others, yes. But there are plenty here to see and discuss Rolex's shortcomings too.

Rolex, like any watch that cost more than $20, is a luxury item. You say you've bought many Rolex and yet call them crap. Why do you buy crap? You also say you drive a BMW when really a Trabant will do exactly the same job, get you from point A to point B.

I really fail to see the point you are making and question the validity of this contribution. BTW, internet forums are not "public" but rather privately owned places for discussion. You may participate until you violate the rules of a forum. We all agree Rolex makes a great watch. If you disagree, that's your right. But I don't understand the need to come to a Rolex forum and piss on the brand. It would be like a Mercedes owner going to a BMW forum and saying BMWs are crap.

What is your agenda please?

Old 19 November 2005, 01:10 AM   #18
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Let me get this straight. You know the watch costs twenty times its manufacturing cost, you think it's crap, but you shell out a couple of grand for it anyway? Pardon my pointing out the obvious, but that is a particularly stupid thing to do. Well, either that or you have a masochistic and self-flagellating streak that puts all major Judeo-Christian doctrines to shame. In the latter case, it's fine, but I'll thank you for not spreading your misery around here. That you choose to do so demonstrates that you are the one who needs to get a life. Now that's a dose of reality for you.

A second particularly stupid thing for you to do is, as Atomic pointed out, to go to a Rolex site and dump on the brand. As I have already pointed out, the members here have already demonstrated their awareness and acceptance of the vagaries of Rolex, so there really is no need for you to appoint yourself educator. Again, get a life.

In fact, I'll educate you once again about the nature of this forum. Nobody takes themselves or any of this seriously - if someone wants to drool over MOP or a Leopard print, it's all in good fun and the rest of us take it as such. If you're going to treat it as a life-and-death matter, for the third time, you need to get a life.

I'll be upfront with you, upyours - the moderators have been monitoring your style of posting, and far from being proper discourse, your style of writing is particularly obnoxious. Get one thing clear: the privilege to speak freely is necessarily accompanied by the responsibility to use that freedom wisely. If you lack such wisdom, we have a 14-year-old you could learn plenty from.

By spreading your misery around here, you are trolling, and make no mistake about it - the sense of humour that the other moderators and I have does not extend to tolerating this form of behaviour. I'm giving you official notice that you are on very thin ice, so wind your neck in.
Old 18 November 2005, 03:38 AM   #19
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The chicks dig it.
Oh yeah, at least 3 times a day I have some gorgeous babe say, "OMG. Is that a Rolex? Please let me stroke your arm and feel the magnatism of that manly timepiece".

Bloody nuissance it is. I'm gettin' an IWC
Old 18 November 2005, 03:40 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Oh yeah, at least 3 times a day I have some gorgeous babe say, "OMG. Is that a Rolex? Please let me stroke your arm and feel the magnatism of that manly timepiece".

If the babes really say that, then remind me to wear a watch on EACH arm!!! Stroke away, baby, stroke away!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 18 November 2005, 06:28 AM   #21
AJC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
If the babes really say that, then remind me to wear a watch on EACH arm!!! Stroke away, baby, stroke away!!!
I hope you are only talking about your two real arms only.

Why Rolex?.........

The versatility of the watch.Being a one watch guy now,I can wear it out for good or bash around on the property and not worry about hurting it.

Aaron
Old 18 November 2005, 06:30 AM   #22
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Great idea mate.

Old 18 November 2005, 12:31 PM   #23
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:

Stroke your what?? OH, you said arm.
Old 18 November 2005, 12:37 PM   #24
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Bruce, obviously you are getting the full benefits from your Rolex "Stroke Master".
Old 18 November 2005, 01:34 PM   #25
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
It's got what I want

Going to the next levels like Patek, Lange or IWC they are more dressy and not as robust. I do not want a watch I have to baby. I am not in the market for a Swatch made watch. I do not want a watch that looks like Robocop just took it off. Rolex watches can easily be repaired and re-finished which is convenient. Others may have to be sent across the sea and may take months to get back. A Rolex is good for dress or with jeans, a real all around type watch. It has as good a resale value as any and better than most. Rolex makes a stylish, robust, very accurate watch which is affordable enough that most have more than one. The 'tool' watch concept has it's advantages. What else does a person need in a watch? =) maverick
Old 18 November 2005, 01:36 PM   #26
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
What else does a person need in a watch? =) maverick
Diamonds, lots and lots of diamonds.

Old 18 November 2005, 01:53 PM   #27
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
It's time to come out of the closet, Daren - I always figured you for a Leopard Daytona fan!
Old 18 November 2005, 01:56 PM   #28
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Daren, is that really you, or did Andie hijack this thread?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 18 November 2005, 03:44 AM   #29
----

Quote:
The chicks dig it.
That and the fact I didn't know better at the time......

Old 18 November 2005, 03:45 AM   #30
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Why Rolex? Since I was a little kid (7 or 8) I have been interested in watches especially my dad's TT DJ, my uncles and other members of the family also had TT DJs. I started checking out what my mom had in her collection as well (she's a WIS) and started learning about other names, bigger more prestigious brands. At the age of 12 my mother being the crazy WIS bought me a 16233, she showed it to me on my 12th b-day and put it away. She brought it out every once in a while for me to wear for xmas or chinese new years or just so my dad could wear it to keep it running.

Now once I turned 16 or 17 and my mom finally gave me the watch not only had the value of the watch doubled, but the world of watches really intrigued me. Over the last 10 years or so I have tried out or accumulated watches from over 20 brands including JLC, VC, GP, and ML. But in the end while passion for other brands have come and gone the one brand that always remained number 1 with me was Rolex. So lately I have decided that I want to complete a well rounded Rolex collection.

Right now I am extremely close and I love it!! Words cannot express how I feel about my rolex collection, although not very large it is only missing a chronograph. I have a dressy one, a divers, a pilot, and even a exploration watch.

Also the feeling I have these days of having the hard time of choosing amongst these 4 beauties always puts a smile on my face.

This is a great hobby, I love it simply because if I ever need the money Rolexes are pretty much the easiest watches to unload for top dollar and also with the classic designs replacing one in the future is very easy. I really hate watch companies that change the look of their watches every 4-5 years. I like the idea of a young guy who falls in love with a watch and can grow up saving for the next 15-20 years and still be able to buy the same watch he saw in the display window decades ago.
Closed Thread