The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2016, 09:32 AM   #1
deezeer55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Which Rolex of yours gets the most compliments?

Hi All,

New to the forum and was wondering this question...

Which one of your Rolex watches gains the most compliments when out and about?

If you have only one Rolex, which one do you own, and do you receive compliments on it?
deezeer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 09:44 AM   #2
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I've NEVER received an unsolicited compliment on a Rolex watch when out and about. The vast vast majority of people ( at least in the US and generally speaking) don't look at other peoples' watches; watches are just not something most people are looking at...or care about. Folks in the US pay more attention to cars, big houses....when it comes to luxury items. Certain parts of countries in Asia , generally speaking of course--I think it may be a slightly different story.

NOW, if you wear a diamond studded, multicolored watch from ANY brand, you might get an unsolicited comment or find people taking a second glance. But, most on TRF detest those models...i.e. the Leopard Daytona :-)
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 11:05 AM   #3
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
I've NEVER received an unsolicited compliment on a Rolex watch when out and about. The vast vast majority of people (at least in the US and generally speaking) don't look at other peoples' watches; watches are just not something most people are looking at...or care about. Folks in the US pay more attention to cars, big houses....when it comes to luxury items.
+1. gotta run with that observation...at least around here.
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
I've NEVER received an unsolicited compliment on a Rolex watch when out and about. The vast vast majority of people ( at least in the US and generally speaking) don't look at other peoples' watches; watches are just not something most people are looking at...or care about. Folks in the US pay more attention to cars, big houses....when it comes to luxury items. Certain parts of countries in Asia , generally speaking of course--I think it may be a slightly different story.

NOW, if you wear a diamond studded, multicolored watch from ANY brand, you might get an unsolicited comment or find people taking a second glance. But, most on TRF detest those models...i.e. the Leopard Daytona :-)
This thing is a compliment MAGNET!

`
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona Leopard.jpg (51.1 KB, 940 views)
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 08:32 PM   #5
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
This thing is a compliment MAGNET!

`
Got lots when I use to wear one!!! Several from gentlemen my senior and wealthy business women.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Got lots when I use to wear one!!! Several from gentlemen my senior and wealthy business women.
I actually like it. I tried it on at the AD and pictures don't do it justice. It's definitely not for everyone, but it has it's own charm.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 10:28 PM   #7
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I actually like it. I tried it on at the AD and pictures don't do it justice. It's definitely not for everyone, but it has it's own charm.
I am so happy that you tried it on Abdullah!!! The magic of the SACO is how it can look so conservative and loud at the same time. Definitely in person it is really nice to see.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 07:25 PM   #8
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:

Agree
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 03:40 PM   #9
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:

Orange PO and Hulk seem to attract lots of love.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 03:48 PM   #10
eterna
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc
Only when I wore my wife's datejust 36 (white dial, roman numerals), did I get some compliments about it. But not with my GMT II.

Seems like the fluted bezel attracts a lot of attention.
eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 05:34 PM   #11
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Not counting ADs/watch shops I believe location/culture has much to do with it. In Hong Kong (and to a lesser degree Shanghai/Beijing) where so many people are into watches, or at least know what they are, comments/compliments from acquaintances or even strangers aren't uncommon, whereas in the US it seems quite rare.

The BLNR has generated the most comments from random people. My Pepsis/BLRO a few times over the years, and my 116509 Daytona once (in the US).

In Japan in a relaxed setting (bars) I've had both the BLNR and a Grand Seiko complimented but was wasn't first told directly on either occasion. Rather, the Japanese lady I was with, overhearing their conversation, told me they were being noticed/talked about. The ones noticing the BLNR were 3 young JMSDF sailors out with their girlfriends before shipping out the next morning, and after translated introductions were made they were still very interested so I removed it and let them have a close look passing it between themselves, which they seemed very grateful for. I figured they needed to fully satisfy all their curiosity quickly and get back to more important matters they had at hand, their dates.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 09:45 AM   #12
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
People seldom notice my Rolex because it is overshadowed by my insanely good looks and manly physique.

Only watch i ever owned which routinely got props was my Panerai 88.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 11:23 AM   #13
shawndww
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
People seldom notice my Rolex because it is overshadowed by my insanely good looks and manly physique.

Ditto. :)
shawndww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 11:30 AM   #14
GasMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I wear a Rolex almost daily. I've never received a compliment on a Rolex. One guy asked me about my Pepsi because he was interested in the colors but had no idea what brand watch it was. I told him it is a pilot watch made to keep track of time zones.

I have received MANY compliments on a Seiko 007 that I wear on different natos. Go figure. 😂
GasMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 11:45 AM   #15
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
When I wore Invictas I used to get comments all the time; not so much with the Rolexes. Most received was two in a day with my OP.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 05:46 PM   #16
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

I did once receive a compliment and to be honest I was really surprised.

My wife and I popped into a pub in Oxford for a bite to eat.

Half way throught the meal, the waiter who was a young man of about 20 years just very quietly quipped, that's a lovely watch you got and promptly walked off before I could say anything.

The watch was a very under the radar 39mm Explorer and I was wearing a Harris Tweed jacket so the watch was partially covered.

That did surprise me somewhat.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 09:00 PM   #17
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

A guy at the deli counter at my local store said he was going to help me next because I had on a nice Omega.

I was wearing my Tudor Black Bay. But hey, I bought some good chicken salad.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 03:04 AM   #18
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I am the only person I know that regularly notices what watches people wear but never comment, also I have only had a hand full of comments in 20 years.
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:31 AM   #19
VinnieVegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36Efc View Post
I am the only person I know that regularly notices what watches people wear but never comment, also I have only had a hand full of comments in 20 years.
I attended an Internet Marketing Conference in San Diego last year and 2 or 3 people a day complimented my GMT Master II/Pepsi. Maybe a San Diego thing?

This included a vagrant who correctly identified the watch from about 10 feet away, even said "Pepsi style."

* Seiko SRP777 (2017)
VinnieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:02 PM   #20
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon12

I really feel that it is the Person, that solicits compliments from others...

Meaning, if your open to conversation, more people will feel like they can compliment you on your watch...

Now, if you Open like me, and wearing the watch Below, you will get them compliments daily...!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8342.jpg (103.1 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8335.jpg (99.7 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8337.jpg (103.6 KB, 563 views)

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2016, 02:48 AM   #21
brucewayne1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:

This!

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places." Ernest Hemingway
Talent is a chisel, but hard work and effort is the hammer. God puts the chisel in your hand but expects you to pick up the hammer and swing...
brucewayne1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2016, 03:16 AM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I get quite a few comments on my Coke GMT. I think this is because I wear this particular watch with short sleeves, a lot more than I do with my DJII. Generally just the "nice watch!" variety, but every now and then it turns into more of a conversation - usually with fell Rolex owners
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 06:04 AM   #23
997.2TTS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datograph up/dn RG
Quote:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this had me literally LOL. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
997.2TTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 01:43 PM   #24
zen watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc
Quote:
Definitely this! And if I may add my charming personality.
Blro
zen watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 02:23 AM   #25
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:

I have the same problem 🤣🤣
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 09:49 AM   #26
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Would say my 116718 with the green dial gets a couple a week.
Davidmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 09:51 AM   #27
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
My SS Daytona (ref 116520) gets nods from people; but pretty much only when watches are a passion of theirs. Other Daytona wearers pass a familiar smile here and there...I've had two separate people talk about theirs loudly and proudly in order for me to notice. I've had ONE girl ask me on a date after exclaiming to a mutual friend (under her breath) "Whoa that's a nice watch."

I personally prefer only the first of the three situations.
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 09:51 AM   #28
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
About once a year someone will say something. Can't really say that one model gets more than others. I wear vintage mostly and they really fly under the radar.
I guess in the 30 years I have worn Rolex, the 16613 probably received the most comments. Especially back in the late 80's and early 90's probably because of the blue dial and two tone bracelet. Back then there were not as many watches on the market especially with colored dials so I think it stood out more.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 09:55 AM   #29
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

My silver stick, silver dial DateJust got all kinds of unsolicited comments, but my Sub doesn't get any. I had one guy ask me if the DJ was platinum, which made me chuckle.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 08:33 PM   #30
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
my silver stick, silver dial datejust got all kinds of unsolicited comments, but my sub doesn't get any. I had one guy ask me if the dj was platinum, which made me chuckle.
+1
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote