The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 August 2018, 12:29 AM   #1
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Pepsi Advice

I'm number one on the list for the new SS Pepsi at my AD. I've always thought the Pepsi GMT was the coolest of all Rolex models. I was at the coffee shop this morning and I saw a gentleman wearing (what appeared to be) a 16710 with a beautifully patinated bezel and I suddenly felt the pull towards a vintage model. As I looked into it, it appears I can get a vintage or a new one for essentially the same price. I know it's personal preference but I have no experience with vintage (or semi-vintage) Rolexes. Can some of the more experienced folks give me a little guidance on the pros and cons? Anyone bought a vintage model that had problems? What about new versus old?

Thanks so much!

Mike
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 12:49 AM   #2
Rolexism_
"TRF" Member

I’m also 1 on my AD list. Can happen any minute.
Rolexism_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 12:51 AM   #3
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I love the vintage look, but I find that owning a modern Rolex makes it hard for me to wear vintage. The bracelet in particular has improved a lot in recent years.

But if you buy from a reputable dealer so you're confident in the authenticity of all the parts, and you're happy with the design of older models, then they're still sturdy and reliable watches.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 01:00 AM   #4
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
I don't know much about vintage model, but if I were you, I would wait for the new Ceramic model first and then decide what to do. You can always sell the new one and have enough to pay for a vintage one.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 01:02 AM   #5
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

For me the bracelet has always always the blocker from buying vintage or 5digit models

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 01:05 AM   #6
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
For me the bracelet has always always the blocker from buying vintage or 5digit models
While the GMT is my favorite 5 digit model, the bracelet is the deal breaker for me. Yes, people will argue against this with facts that the bracelet has performed great for decades etc. For me I like the modern Rolex bracelets way too much to go backwards
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 01:33 AM   #7
prlwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO w/3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
I'm wearing my 16710 on bracelet from ceramic sub. With glidelock.

There are only two negatives for the bracelet that came with late model 16710s: minimum 5 links on 6 o'clock side instead of 4 with ceramic sub bracelet, and of course no glidelock.

If your wrist is 6.75" or larger the first should be no problem. Even if it is you can have a permanent link removed if you don't want to source a newer bracelet.

Glidelock is key for me in the Summer, since my wrist changes size a lot. But easy resize is the only thing that new clasp does better. It is quite chunky compared to very slim and solid original clasp. When it is not so warm I often wear original clasp on the newer bracelet.
prlwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 01:06 AM   #8
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
I've been flip flopping between a new GMT master and pre-ceramic models - I like the slimmer case of the older models and a few other touches look the part too, lug holes, the alu bezel. Unlike many, I would be looking for a minty bezel as the faded ones just don't look right to me. Unlike you, I am not on any AD waitlists. Since you are next in line, I would probably wait for the 126710. The 16710 might have looked great on someone else's wrist but I guess you'd have to try one on your own wrist and compare it to the newer models.

As regards to vintage, I am no expert but I am looking for consistency in light of the reference and year. That and condition. I might look for the following (as in issues):

Bracelet stretch
Flaking/pitted tritium lume
Marker/hand lume inconsistency (though this may not necessarily mean dial/hands have been changed.)
Glass condition

I would definitely buy from a trusted seller who guarantees authenticity.

I don't mind if a piece has been polished (as long as it's done well)
I don't care about patina (actually would prefer that process while I own it rather than receive it heavily patined).

New vs old, a really tough choice, I envy the ones who just know they want one or the other!

Good luck
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 01:11 AM   #9
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Tourne vegas i believe has a older model someone traded. 8kish. This was like 2 weeka ago.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 01:11 AM   #10
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'll take the modern ss pepsi (on oyster) over the previous models in a second. Personal taste, of course.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 01:16 AM   #11
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I finally saw the new Pepsi in person just yesterday. Lovely watch. No way I was paying the $20k he wanted for it (although I have no problem with those that do), but at retail price I think it's a stunner.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 01:32 AM   #12
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
I'm number one on the list for the new SS Pepsi at my AD. I've always thought the Pepsi GMT was the coolest of all Rolex models. I was at the coffee shop this morning and I saw a gentleman wearing (what appeared to be) a 16710 with a beautifully patinated bezel and I suddenly felt the pull towards a vintage model. As I looked into it, it appears I can get a vintage or a new one for essentially the same price. I know it's personal preference but I have no experience with vintage (or semi-vintage) Rolexes. Can some of the more experienced folks give me a little guidance on the pros and cons? Anyone bought a vintage model that had problems? What about new versus old?

Thanks so much!

Mike
It depends on what you mean by a "vintage" model. a 16710 up to 1998 when Rolex quit the tritium dial (which fades the dots with a beautiful patina) is going for the price you mention 9K-10K or more depending on who you buy from. If you back another ten years to the even older models I dare say you will end up paying a hefty premium for one and not so easily available.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 01:39 AM   #13
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Candidly, I prefer the slimmer case of the 16710. I have no need for a ceramic bezel when the aluminum one works just as well. I also feel that the criticism about the older bracelet design is neither compelling nor persuasive. In fact, not only was the prior bracelet design used for decades by Rolex, it is incredibly comfortable, easy to adjust, and inexpensive to repair. Plus, the bracelet with stamped steel Rolex logo is totally “old school” character!

For me, vintage all the way. Glad I picked mine up before prices began to skyrocket.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 02:06 AM   #14
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I’m no expert, but prefer the look of the older model, less blingy and better proportioned lugs. The new one is great, just a personal preference and perhaps my age growing up with the 4/5 digit references.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 02:56 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I’m no expert, but prefer the look of the older model, less blingy and better proportioned lugs. The new one is great, just a personal preference and perhaps my age growing up with the 4/5 digit references.
I'm beginning to realize the wisdom in the older ones being nicer than the new one. When you consider the insane mark up in the Gray market you could just go ahead and buy an old one so the price difference of what some places are asking in the Gray market for new 1 over list. Right now 18000 is about what the new Pepsi goes for maybe a little less, so anyone advertising 20000 is on a hope and a prayer.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 05:00 AM   #16
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I also feel that the criticism about the older bracelet design is neither compelling nor persuasive.
Agreed

Love my 16710 and the 78790 bracelet!
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 02:56 AM   #17
kegan
"TRF" Member

If you get your new GMT you will always want the classic when you see one, just remember
The guy who has the old one will be thinking the same thing when he spots yours. It’s just the way it is.
kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 04:20 AM   #18
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegan View Post
If you get your new GMT you will always want the classic when you see one, just remember
The guy who has the old one will be thinking the same thing when he spots yours. It’s just the way it is.
That is so true! So basically I need both. I don't know the guy that I see with the older Pepsi, but I see him around all the time.
Old 11 August 2018, 03:12 AM   #19
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

I find the modern offerings vastly superior to the vintage models in looks, wear AND function. Not even close.
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 03:14 AM   #20
T01
"TRF" Member

1st here. Still waiting.....
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 03:24 AM   #21
2024 Pledge Member

I decided to buy vintage while I wait. This way I can compare the two first-hand rather than guessing which I might prefer.

The other factor is that new says you had enough money or luck to buy a new watch. Vintage usually says you're an enthusiast, especially if it's something rare. But, that's just my take.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 06:21 AM   #22
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
I decided to buy vintage while I wait. This way I can compare the two first-hand rather than guessing which I might prefer.

The other factor is that new says you had enough money or luck to buy a new watch. Vintage usually says you're an enthusiast, especially if it's something rare. But, that's just my take.
That's a great take. I completely get your point about being an enthusiast with the (semi) vintage model.
Old 11 August 2018, 03:35 AM   #23
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Go vintage and you'll never go back.... there's not a single modern rolex that I would wear.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 04:05 AM   #24
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
This is a real tricky one particularly if you are close to being offered the new one, which has the latest design, construction etc. It will feel quite different on the wrist though compared to the older 16710. Same can be said for nearly all the sports Rolex,e.g. Sub, SD, Explorer etc. Assuming you are getting the new one for list, you are probably paying less than you will for a good 16710, so that will also be a key factor. The older 16710 does look and wear beautifully though, and the bracelet is still pretty good despite all that is said. Good luck!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 05:31 AM   #25
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Go vintage and you'll never go back.... there's not a single modern rolex that I would wear.
My thoughts exactly...Other than a White dial DaytonaC.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 03:40 AM   #26
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Obviously I'm biased as I have the 16710. But I dare say I'm sure you won't regret getting it. When your number comes up and you do decide to get the 126710 you can always flip the 16710. But in all probability you'll be so happy with it you probably won't flip it or might not even get the 126710.
Old 11 August 2018, 03:42 AM   #27
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post

Thanks so much!

Mike
Like you said...personal preference. The 16710 isn’t what most consider vintage.....yet. I’d say classic for the 16710. With those models you can find some late 80’s to mid 90’s that have Patina on the plots and faded inserts....and some that still look new. My preference is....if going “classic” or 5 digit, I’d prefer it to look as sharp as possible. If going 4 digit, I’d prefer some “character” and patina. The new 6 digit pieces are beautiful watches, with a very different look and feel. I personally enjoy all iterations...4, 5, and 6, for different reasons. Fit wise, the 4/5 digit are better, for me anyway. I don’t consider one to be superior over the the other...just different. They’re all great for accuracy, all SS, all will hold value. I enjoy the older models a bit more right now, love the character, the fit, and vibe! (Maybe my age has something to do with that as well) but as others, and myself have said...personal preference
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 03:48 AM   #28
dricig
"TRF" Member

I don't really consider a 16710 vintage. In age it could be but in appearance it looks modern.
Now the older 1675 and 16750 with plexi and faded tritium, faded bezels, spiderweb dials and loose bracelets are vintage!
I sold a 16750 and purchased a 16710 that could pass for new.
I got tired of wearing a watch that looked like an old guys watch.
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 04:24 AM   #29
chloebear
Banned

Thanks for the excellent feedback gents. I think it will be impossible to turn down the new one, especially at MSRP. My local AD never charges above MSRP, nor do they play games. I do lust after the older model, so maybe that could be an addition down the road.

I really think the Pepsi is just the coolest watch. I definitely remember seeing it on Magnum PI and not knowing what it was. But I knew it was a cool watch.
Old 11 August 2018, 04:39 AM   #30
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’d get the ceramic first and then reassess.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pepsi gmt