The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2020, 07:10 AM   #1
doramas
Banned

You really don't like to brag?

When you wear a Rolex and people notice, does it comfort you? And while many will say no, that they prefer a low profile in secret, they enjoy it when people notice, just like when they look at your sports car, or when you give your address and say you live in a luxury neighborhood.

I've seen people with their Rolex put their hand on their face, or roll up their sleeves so that others can see what watch they're wearing, I haven't gone that far but I admit I like them to know I wear Rolex.

What do you think about that? Are you going to deny that deep down you're like that too?
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:12 AM   #2
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Here for the comments.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:15 AM   #3
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Here for the comments.

just need the popcorn
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:48 AM   #4
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrissteve11 View Post

just need the popcorn
I’m joining in. This should be good.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:14 AM   #5
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I have been quizzed on a Rolex (Hulk) once in my life, excluding conversations with AD SAs and other AD customers who were into watches.

"Is that a Rolex?"
"It had better be, I paid £25 for it." was my response.

I've had more comments about my beaten up Tag Carrera.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:17 AM   #6
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I think many people feel similar with you, it's nothing wrong about that.

Just don't put your hand on the face you will be OK.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:18 AM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I am fortunate to have been taught not to care what others think of me from a young age
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:06 AM   #8
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I am fortunate to have been taught not to care what others think of me from a young age

+1

The watch does NOT make the man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:19 AM   #9
harvey
"TRF" Member

Can’t see this going anything but well for the op! Haha
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 05:08 AM   #10
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Can’t see this going anything but well for the op! Haha
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:25 AM   #11
Stripiest
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
It's nice to be complimented on something you've chosen. I think that's what the OP was trying to say, and I agree.
Stripiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:32 AM   #12
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripiest View Post
It's nice to be complimented on something you've chosen. I think that's what the OP was trying to say, and I agree.
So do I and have said likewise in the past. I appreciate the OP's candor as well.
***Everbody*** like a compliment now and then: to deny it is untruthful.

As long as you don't solicit or cultivate the fact you wear a Rolex, spontaneous compliments are harmless.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:26 AM   #13
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
I've seen people with their Rolex put their hand on their face
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kim-Kardashian-wearing-a-Rolex-624x468.jpg (53.1 KB, 3488 views)
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:29 AM   #14
Black_5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Like this?

Is that a picture of the OP?

SOoO many watches SOoO little time...
Black_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:35 AM   #15
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've seen people with their Rolex put their hand on their face, or roll up their sleeves so that others can see what watch they're wearing
thesingularity7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:47 AM   #16
Ihatecheese
Banned

I bought a Tudor LHD recently as I wasn't so keen wearing my Rolex watches with a t-shirt round some places. Not fond on those kind of conversation with strangers unless I'm I'm a v nice establishment!

(The only time I receive comments on my watches or clothes from strangers typically is when they are trying to sell me something else! ;)
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:49 AM   #17
Xenon
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (126.9 KB, 3319 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (15.1 KB, 3298 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (228.8 KB, 3317 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (151.4 KB, 3320 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (173.9 KB, 3308 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (74.1 KB, 3318 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (142.6 KB, 3315 views)
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:59 AM   #18
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:

Why is the 4th girl wearing it backwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:22 PM   #19
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

Post of the day.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:47 AM   #20
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

This past weekend I was walking downtown and went into two stores that were open and both SA's that were helping me saw my White Daytona and complimented 'nice watch'. I thanked them and one SA started a conversation stating he has been waiting for one for 2 years and asked how long I waited etc. Mentioned to him, 3 years and to hang in there. Was a pleasant conversation and I left, he stated he would call me to advise the item I was looking for was in.

Sometimes it does bring good vibes/conversations but other times doesn't bother me. If they see it they do, if not then no biggie. But I don't purposely make it a point to show off what I'm wearing.
Old 25 May 2020, 10:47 AM   #21
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
This past weekend I was walking downtown and went into two stores that were open and both SA's that were helping me saw my White Daytona and complimented 'nice watch'. I thanked them and one SA started a conversation stating he has been waiting for one for 2 years and asked how long I waited etc. Mentioned to him, 3 years and to hang in there. Was a pleasant conversation and I left, he stated he would call me to advise the item I was looking for was in.

Sometimes it does bring good vibes/conversations but other times doesn't bother me. If they see it they do, if not then no biggie. But I don't purposely make it a point to show off what I'm wearing.
As in sales associates? If so, I think I like you.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:01 AM   #22
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
As in sales associates? If so, I think I like you.
Old 25 May 2020, 07:55 AM   #23
tigey
"TRF" Member

Most Rolex owners do not buy a Rolex for the appreciation of the Horology, the history, the craftsmanship or Engineering. They buy it because for the crown logo on their wrist. I have a few friends who have beautiful datejusts and have no idea what movement is in their watch. I have a friend who bought a 40mm daydate and asked me how often he should change the battery. Most people buy a Rolex to show they have "made it" and feel like they belong to the success club.
tigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:00 AM   #24
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey View Post
Most Rolex owners do not buy a Rolex for the appreciation of the Horology, the history, the craftsmanship or Engineering. They buy it because for the crown logo on their wrist. I have a few friends who have beautiful datejusts and have no idea what movement is in their watch. I have a friend who bought a 40mm daydate and asked me how often he should change the battery. Most people buy a Rolex to show they have "made it" and feel like they belong to the success club.
All Truth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 03:21 PM   #25
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoffice View Post
We are all like you
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
In over 30 years, I’ve only had one person notice one of my watches and comment on it. He was a prisoner brought to the ER from a jail, and he knew watches and jewelry very well. Actually had a nice conversation while I sewed him up.
None of my patients noticed my Rolex's, nor other watches.

Quote:
When you wear a Rolex and people notice, does it comfort you? And while many will say no, that they prefer a low profile in secret, they enjoy it when people notice, just like when they look at your sports car, or when you give your address and say you live in a luxury neighborhood.

I've seen people with their Rolex put their hand on their face, or roll up their sleeves so that others can see what watch they're wearing, I haven't gone that far but I admit I like them to know I wear Rolex.

What do you think about that? Are you going to deny that deep down you're like that too?
Many here are not like that at all.
There are sufficient reasons to like Rolex watches without this element, which put me off from the brand for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey View Post
Sadly, many people I know with Rolex's are like this.
It's only about the crown.
I avoided Rolex's for a long time because of this.
Declined one as a gift for graduating from med school because of this.

All wearing a Rolex does in this manner is show off you spent a bunch of money on a watch. Why not just wear a bank statement on your chest?
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:54 AM   #26
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post

None of my patients noticed my Rolex's, nor other watches.
I think we also need to realize that some people will notice a watch but not say anything. My Doctor wears the new blue Omega seamaster and I want to say nice watch! But I don't because I feel like it'll be awkward.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 02:00 AM   #27
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeko View Post
I think we also need to realize that some people will notice a watch but not say anything. My Doctor wears the new blue Omega seamaster and I want to say nice watch! But I don't because I feel like it'll be awkward.

Curious why? I complement people on watches all the time, doesn't matter if it's a man or woman. If they are wearing a nice watch, I will complement them. It always ends up with a pleasant small talk - at the very least a smile and a thank you. A couple times turned into a fun conversation about watches. Most humans love to be notices and enjoy a complement, so why not extend one. But that's me.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 05:07 AM   #28
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Curious why? I complement people on watches all the time, doesn't matter if it's a man or woman. If they are wearing a nice watch, I will complement them. It always ends up with a pleasant small talk - at the very least a smile and a thank you. A couple times turned into a fun conversation about watches. Most humans love to be notices and enjoy a complement, so why not extend one. But that's me.
Very well done.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 03:11 AM   #29
jankymutt

Quote:

This!

When I’ve seen a submariner, Seamaster, or Panerai the people have been really friendly and fun, But the times I’ve noticed and mentioned a daydate or Patak the dudes have been completely cold. Maybe they weren’t really into horology and just wanted an expensive watch? Perhaps I’m intimidating or just need to stick with the tool watch crowd!

Old 31 May 2020, 02:06 PM   #30
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it's because I wouldn't really know what to say if someone asked me. I didn't grow up wealthy, I had to work hard to purchase my watches, which is why I would feel strange if someone outright asked me about the price, whether it was real, etc. I've had my in laws ask me those questions, and I feel uncomfortable saying the price because they'll think it's crazy. I didn't even tell my parents, they inquired about one of my pieces about 4 years after I purchased it lol. It must have finally caught their eye.

I think if the person asking is a fan of watches, I would welcome the conversation and I would be excited to talk to them. If it's the opposite, then I would rather them not ask me anything, just to avoid the awkwardness.

I didn't ask my Doctor because I wasn't sure if she fell into the watch crowd or just wanted something fancy. A few years ago she asked me how work was going, and what I did. I told her my profession, and she said that it must pay well as she pointed to my watch. I told her that I loved the watch, but she didn't ask me any more questions after that. So I figured that she isn't into watch talk. I could be wrong though!

reeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
external validation , survey