The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 September 2020, 02:41 PM   #1
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Home Gyms

Anyone else give up on gyms and set something up in their house? Thought about the Peloton, but am leaning towards the Hydrow. Anyone with something they care to share? No treadmill because the knees are crap. TIA.
Old 14 September 2020, 03:32 PM   #2
DavidRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I'm a gym rat since I wrestled in High School and to be honest - this year will be the longest I've ever been out of a gym and I'm feeling it (negatively). I have been trying hard to get my hands on a Bowflex and highly suggest them (they even have a full body machine if you're into that) but their dumbbells and other equipment are all great. I suggest the Peloton but I personally get a bit bored of cycling and I'm more about the free weights and some yoga.
DavidRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 06:42 PM   #3
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I’m a bit of a gym/sauna junkie. I always enjoy own body weight workouts, I’m doing handstands, decline pushups, chin-ups holding onto basement roof etc. it’s working ok I guess
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 06:44 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Snap, I also decline pushups.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 06:52 PM   #5
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Since beginning of 2017 we have our own homegym. I have a squatrack, barbell, 200 kilo of weightplates, some changeable dumbles, a bench, front squat harnass, deadlift deadeners, pulldown-row etc
would advise it to you as it will deliver you a lot of money in the long run and in times of corona i am happy to not need to go out.. For some people it can be more difficult though to train home.
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 09:29 PM   #6
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I used the gym almost daily before the virus hit the world. I managed to get a concept 2 rowing machine just before they sold out, I later put my name on the 14 week waiting list for the concept 2 bike erg, which came a couple of months ago. We live in a tiny nearly 300 year old cottage and found to the irritation of the missus that the best place for the rower was where she had previously measured, re measured and measured again for a Lloyd Loom dressing table and stool. I did point out that when, in 15 years time when she would have said, "I have never liked that dressing table," instead, she would have a ripped husband, it didn't go down as well as I thought.

Actually, we both use both machines daily.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 10:21 PM   #7
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

In late 2019 my wife and I decided to convert our kids' unused basement playroom into a home gym, something we'd always wanted to do. She mostly does aerobic workouts with some light dumbbells. I ended up getting a Concept2 rower as my aerobic machine, as neither treadmill running nor putting my bike on a trainer were my cups of tea. The rower is fantastic. Putting a TV on the wall in front of the rower keeps me using it, otherwise 45-60 minutes gets boring really fast.

After doing some more assessment, I purchased some Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells and bench. Best fitness purchase for me ever, so far. I've never been a gym person and really never did resistance training because I frankly find the gym setting to be a bit intimidating when you don't know what you're doing. Since I received the equipment I've made slow but steady progress (my wife and I always joke about "cementing our gainz"). I'd like to get a rack, Olympic barbell and plates, and integrated pulley system as well, but that's proving challenging to acquire now.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 05:10 AM   #8
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
In late 2019 my wife and I decided to convert our kids' unused basement playroom into a home gym, something we'd always wanted to do. She mostly does aerobic workouts with some light dumbbells. I ended up getting a Concept2 rower as my aerobic machine, as neither treadmill running nor putting my bike on a trainer were my cups of tea. The rower is fantastic. Putting a TV on the wall in front of the rower keeps me using it, otherwise 45-60 minutes gets boring really fast.

After doing some more assessment, I purchased some Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells and bench. Best fitness purchase for me ever, so far. I've never been a gym person and really never did resistance training because I frankly find the gym setting to be a bit intimidating when you don't know what you're doing. Since I received the equipment I've made slow but steady progress (my wife and I always joke about "cementing our gainz"). I'd like to get a rack, Olympic barbell and plates, and integrated pulley system as well, but that's proving challenging to acquire now.
ironmaster dumbells are great stuff ! highly recommended
Old 14 September 2020, 10:30 PM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Just moved again so my home gym moved with me. I love working out at home. I will post a picture of it later.

I am not much into spinning (even though my wife is a spin teacher) as I like to watch the news or a movie while working out. But I keep hearing amazing things about Peleton. Every single person I have ever spoken to about it LOVES theirs.

I am tempted. But my wife might kill me as I refuse to take her classes.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 10:54 PM   #10
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

I’ve had a home gym for the last 5 years. If you need motivation then the Peloton and Hydrow are great choices. I really like the rower because it’s s full body workout and easy on the joints. If you don’t need motivation get a Concept 2 rower for half the price and no subscription fee plus you don’t need to buy fancy pants and shoes.
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 10:56 PM   #11
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
I quit going to the gym well before COVID-19. These are the setups I have in FL and GA houses. I just enjoy working out at home or outside better...no waiting, no socializing, my own bathroom , listen to, or watch whatever I want, as loud as I want...etc...

rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 12:30 AM   #12
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I have the start of one. Treadmill, dumbbells, kettlebells, adjustable bench, heavy bag and a dip/pull-up station. Working with a contractor now. If all goes according to plan I hope to have a nice setup by the end of next spring. I started to really workout again during Covid and have lost 57 pounds and have gotten in much better shape. All from home. Not sure why the ten minuets round trip to the gym always seemed to add an hour to my day but I seem to get so much more accomplished in considerably less time working out at home. The only thing I leave the house for now is I like to do 3 long walks a week (8-10 miles) those I do outside because I get too bored on the treadmill.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 12:42 AM   #13
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
I have the start of one. Treadmill, dumbbells, kettlebells, adjustable bench, heavy bag and a dip/pull-up station. Working with a contractor now. If all goes according to plan I hope to have a nice setup by the end of next spring. I started to really workout again during Covid and have lost 57 pounds and have gotten in much better shape. All from home. Not sure why the ten minuets round trip to the gym always seemed to add an hour to my day but I seem to get so much more accomplished in considerably less time working out at home. The only thing I leave the house for now is I like to do 3 long walks a week (8-10 miles) those I do outside because I get too bored on the treadmill.
This is the best part of the home gym experience. I can wake up at 5:15, workout, clean up, have breakfast with my kid before school starts, and make it to work by 8:00.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 05:13 AM   #14
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
I quit going to the gym well before COVID-19. These are the setups I have in FL and GA houses. I just enjoy working out at home or outside better...no waiting, no socializing, my own bathroom , listen to, or watch whatever I want, as loud as I want...etc...

That lamp is extremely cool,
i was just looking to something similar at cabinshop or so, do not remember exactly is he from there?
Old 15 September 2020, 05:34 AM   #15
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
That lamp is extremely cool,
i was just looking to something similar at cabinshop or so, do not remember exactly is he from there?
Sorry, not locally bought.
Old 15 September 2020, 12:34 AM   #16
JParm

Watch: Yes!
No home gym for me, but since COVID started and they closed our community gym, I ended up buying resistance bands, medicine balls and jump ropes for post-run workouts.

Now that they opened the community gym back up, I'm doing a little bit of both - lifting and resistance training at home.

I know there are those here that can do without the gym, but I personally cannot! I need to see others working out to stay motivated sometimes...haha.
Old 15 September 2020, 01:36 AM   #17
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Working out has always been a big part of mine and my wife's lifestyle. About a year and a half ago we moved into a house with a huge unfinished room. Over the last 18 months or so, I have constructed the best home gym I could ever want.

If anyone is wondering the size, it's roughly 26x60 feet. Our house is built into a hillside and the previous owners built this room merely to set the house on the hill at the desired elevation. It has sat empty and unfinished for 16 years.

To answer the question of what to add to a home gym, I get the best workout from my rower, assault bike, and battle ropes. The single best all body workout and cardio combined would hands down be battle ropes (in my opinion).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200914_111447.jpg (144.1 KB, 648 views)
File Type: jpg 20190716_114016.jpg (161.6 KB, 646 views)
File Type: jpg 20200914_111214.jpg (172.8 KB, 647 views)
File Type: jpg 20200914_111305.jpg (160.2 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpg 20200914_111340.jpg (174.5 KB, 647 views)
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:47 AM   #18
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
Working out has always been a big part of mine and my wife's lifestyle. About a year and a half ago we moved into a house with a huge unfinished room. Over the last 18 months or so, I have constructed the best home gym I could ever want.

If anyone is wondering the size, it's roughly 26x60 feet. Our house is built into a hillside and the previous owners built this room merely to set the house on the hill at the desired elevation. It has sat empty and unfinished for 16 years.

To answer the question of what to add to a home gym, I get the best workout from my rower, assault bike, and battle ropes. The single best all body workout and cardio combined would hands down be battle ropes (in my opinion).
This is amazing! I thought this was a crossfit gym at first - didn't realize it was your home!!
Old 15 September 2020, 01:57 AM   #19
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
This is amazing! I thought this was a crossfit gym at first - didn't realize it was your home!!
Thanks! It is kinda my pride and joy since I built it single handed (well, my wife helped with some heavy stuff lol). It was definitely a project that turned out to be much more labor intensive than I had anticipated. Between the two of us, it gets used about 3 hours a day. It is so nice not to have the 30 min drive to the gym everyday. ...... no excuse to be lazy though.
Old 15 September 2020, 02:11 AM   #20
chappuy1750

Watch: JLC
Quote:
Thanks! It is kinda my pride and joy since I built it single handed (well, my wife helped with some heavy stuff lol). It was definitely a project that turned out to be much more labor intensive than I had anticipated. Between the two of us, it gets used about 3 hours a day. It is so nice not to have the 30 min drive to the gym everyday. ...... no excuse to be lazy though.
Your gym is incredible! You should sign up members!
chappuy1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 03:51 AM   #21
rmlovett1

Quote:
Well done! Fantastic home gym! Mine is used 2.5/3 hrs a day as well! Keep doin it my man (and wife)
Old 15 September 2020, 02:05 AM   #22
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:

That is beyond awesome! I wish I had the room for something like that. Wouldn’t change a thing...it’s perfect!
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 02:08 AM   #23
Ballzzz

wOOOw Amazing!
P.S. Thank you for your service!

Quote:

Old 15 September 2020, 02:26 AM   #24
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:

Amazing gym! I bet the house isn't too shabby either!
Old 15 September 2020, 02:30 AM   #25
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This has to be the best home gym I have ever seen!!
Old 15 September 2020, 03:28 AM   #26
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
That is just fabulous.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 05:32 AM   #27
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
LOL, sometimes I forget how much money (some of) you guys have.

I quit going to the gym in March, dug out the old Nordic Track. Bought another TeeVee for the gymnasium room so that I don't go crazy while exercising.

I went back to the gym last Sunday when they re-opened. The rule (Planet Fitness) is masks all the time unless you're actively working out. Well, that's when you start breathing hard (at least, I do) and I really didn't like the whole idea of all of these people not wearing masks. So I'm not going back.

I bought some dumbbells. Maybe one day I'll buy some kind of machine.

Quote:
The single best all body workout and cardio combined would hands down be battle ropes (in my opinion).
Really? I've never tried them. Maybe I should.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 06:28 AM   #28
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I thought my home gym was great until I saw the one a few posts back. Wow!!!!

Still under construction. Should be done in two weeks. But here’s mine.

This is a combo of home office and gym. Bit of a man cave really. And had to add a bathroom so as not to need to go upstairs when nature calls.

Not much space left for a peloton.

Flex flex flex.
That's nice! I don't think a couch and TV would work well for me in the gym LOL. I really like the idea of having a bathroom near the gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
LOL, sometimes I forget how much money (some of) you guys have.

I've never tried them. Maybe I should.
I know we don't have a lot money, live on two retired police pensions until we decide it's time to return to work. We just spent every penny on the gym and did all the labor ourselves. You would be surprised how much this saves. For example, the labor alone to install the rubber floor was quoted at $5000; we paid about half than that for the material! We still have rooms in our house with no furniture, but the gym rocks

As far as battle ropes, many people think there are only one or two movements that can be done. If you Google exercises, there are some nice charts that pop in Google Images. If you are looking to get one, I can tell you that a 2 inch 40 foot rope is a real workout! Sets of 30 seconds is about all I can do with a 30-60 second rest. My wife bought a 1.5 inch 30 foot rope that is nice. I think the sweet spot for good cardio would be a 1.5 inch 40 foot rope. Interesting side note, I wear a Garmin chest heart rate monitor and my heart rate is the same max and average range doing sets of battle rope as it is running sprints, rowing, or assault bike.
Old 15 September 2020, 06:32 AM   #29
JParm

Quote:
I know we don't have a lot money, live on two retired police pensions until we decide it's time to return to work. We just spent every penny on the gym and did all the labor ourselves. You would be surprised how much this saves. For example, the labor alone to install the rubber floor was quoted at $5000; we paid about half than that for the material! We still have rooms in our house with no furniture, but the gym rocks
You spent your well-earned money on what matters most to the both of you and seem to be very happy about it - if that isn't the dream life, I don't know what is.
Old 15 September 2020, 05:42 AM   #30
-dustin

Quote:

I stayed at a house last summer that had a room like this...massive, unfinished. Previous owner went through a lot of work to build it, then let it be. The current owner is in the process of building it into a music studio.

But anyway...battle ropes. High on my list of wants.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote