The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 March 2010, 04:45 AM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Sorry Everyone, a serious thread, any TRF men with Prostate cancer?

Apparantly there are five tests for confirmation, my first two have come back positive and I'm pretty scared. I was wondering if any other men out there have been diagnosed with PC and what their experiences are, treatments chemo vs. radiation vs. surgery (removal). Right now I'm almost happy that there may be some kind of solution to the pain, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 04:47 AM   #2
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Oh Paul, I'm really sorry to hear this, I'll be praying for you, everything will be alright...
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 04:54 AM   #3
Idle Swede
Suspended

Hey buddy, my thoughts are with you.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 04:56 AM   #4
RebreatherDiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rotational
Father just went through PC. It is almost always survivable if caught early. My fathers was treated with radiation pellets for some time then removed via the Da Vinci surgical robot. He was in and out in a day and has been free from cancer ever since (over a year ago).

Best of luck to you!
Old 7 March 2010, 04:56 AM   #5
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
I have not, but I hope everything is okay, Paul. Please keep us updated.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 05:13 AM   #6
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I have had prostate cancer, I have had a less than 0.1 score on my psa for the last 3 years (This means I am clear or as near as damn it). I too was not sure what route to take, I was, at the time given 3 options, one was to do nothing and eventually die, the second option was surgery and the third was radiotherapy.

I didn't have a clue, I asked my nurse what she would advise her husband to do in the same situation, she said she would not advise me either way but said, if you have surgery and it doesn't work you can then have radiotherapy, if you have radiotherapy and it doesn't work you can not have surgery afterwards.

I chose surgery, leave any dignity that you have in the hospital car park.

After a year my PSA which should be at less than 0.1 if one has had ones prostate removed, started to climb, I then had radiotherapy every day for 3 weeks, I have been clear ever since.

That is not to say everything is working as it should, it doesn't.

If it comes back I would then be given hormones.

I see the radiotherapist and surgeon once a year each, it is done so I see one, then 6 months later I see the other and so on.

As mentioned above, if caught early, it is almost always surviveable.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 05:16 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Sorry to hear about your predicament, Paul. Please do keep us updated and I sincerely pray that it all clears up with treatment.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 07:29 AM   #8
ESKO

Watch: 2012 Milgauss GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Sorry to hear about your predicament, Paul. Please do keep us updated and I sincerely pray that it all clears up with treatment.

JJ
I am really sorry to hear this Paul. My heart goes out to you. My father passed away because of cancer, although it was skin cancer, the disease always hits home. My mother had colon cancer as well and just cancer in general has been tortous in our family. The thing is, most didn't catch it early enough, as it seems you are doing. I hope it is just symptoms from what you had before.

On a seperate note, JJ, you should include him on the tosser list. Look at his signature, this is one of your biggest fans!
He wants it bad, this guy derves it! Bring a little sunshine into his life!

-Luis
ESKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 07:33 AM   #9
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
I am sorry to hear this Paul. My prayers are with you. Try and stay as positive as you can.
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 09:27 AM   #10
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
damn.
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2010, 03:44 PM   #11
Yobibs56

Watch: Rolex Datejust TT,
My prayers to you and your family. I know it's quite overwhelming to know that you have such a serious illness.14 years ago when I turned 40 ,I was diagnosed with leukemia and was told I might have less than 6 months to live.Well, by the Grace of God and great medical treatment, I am still here and enjoying life and watching my two children grow into amazing, wonderful young adults ! By no means was it easy but by living it by the moment and appreciating all that life gives you will give you the strength and courage to fight ! My family has had a lot of first hand experience with this illness, my mother,two brothers passed away and just recently and older sister was diagnosed with breast cancer.
I have never asked why us .... it's always been ,My Lord if this is a way of making me more aware of life ,then so be it !I guess what I'm trying to say is, Be at the "moment" Do not regret about the past ,that was yesterday... Do not worry about the future because that's tomorrow... Be happy and grateful for today,that's why it's called the present !
God Speed and God Bless !
Yobibs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 05:15 AM   #12
HYDROMAROC
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Apparantly there are five tests for confirmation, my first two have come back positive and I'm pretty scared. I was wondering if any other men out there have been diagnosed with PC and what their experiences are, treatments chemo vs. radiation vs. surgery (removal). Right now I'm almost happy that there may be some kind of solution to the pain, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hope all goes well. Weigh all your options and get 3rd and 4th opinions. If it is the worst, Sharp has robotic surgery that is supposed to minimise side effects.

Take care.
HYDROMAROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 05:21 AM   #13
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:

Thanks,
Paul,
Hoping these are false positives. If not, and caught relatively early, it will be something you can tackle successfully. My wife is testament to the results of early detection.
Best of luck, my friend.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 05:48 AM   #14
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

Paul, there is an article in my local newspaper a day or two ago that said that the American Cancer Society is recommending that prostate cancer tests be given less often and that doctors hold off on treatment. They claim that the tests are given too often, they are frequently not accurate and that the surgeries that are done are too aggresive. There is an article in this months AARP magazine that says that men who walk aggresively several hours per week have a 65% less chance of getting prostate cancer. And, if they have it the effects are reduced by walking several hours per week. So, I would encourage you to do some real research here before loosing hope.

Also as you may know, exposure to lots of sun is supposed to have some benefits in reducing prostate cancer.
Old 7 March 2010, 05:56 AM   #15
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Im watchful waiting right now and check it every 3-4 months (blood test)
Its NO fun...Im 52....prime age for it
I told the Doctor that I had drank enought coffee in the past 45 years to float a carrier.
Somewhere I read it helps prevent it or lower the risk by 40 percent?.....but didn't work on me.
Years ago a friend that was about 5 years older than me died at 48 from it....its nothing to take lightly...they didn't catch it in time and one day he told me at lunch
he was peeing blood, went to a Dr. but it too late...he died 11 months later.
That scared me.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 06:03 AM   #16
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
I'm really sorry to hear that Paul.
Lance Armstrong had teticular cancer and he succeeded beating the odds and he was never a Navy fighter pilot!
You can do it,I have faith in you!

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 06:24 AM   #17
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

Paul I just found the two day old article in the newspaper entitled "Cancer Society casts more doubt on prostate tests." If you are interested in it, PM me or email me at bob@assetprotection.com and I will scan it and get it to you.
Old 7 March 2010, 06:47 AM   #18
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Thank you everyone for all your kind words and the many PMs I received, I am VERY sorry to bring this up and dump it on TRF. It's just that sometimes, I get pretty depressed about it, this morning was one of those times... Anyway..

AND I just got some GOOD news! One indication came back that it might be the disease CPPS (which I was diagnosed with before) instead of cancer!. The physical test, Density, size, calcium content etc. came back within normal limits! Which is a good sign. So, PSA and Urine Myoglobulin/blood (or something like that) was bad, physical test was good, I've got the CT, Cyscopty and Biopsy to go. I'm behind 2 - 1 with three tests left, Hell, I've beaten worse odds then that!

Anyway, thank you everyone very very very much again, and I'm sorry to have dumped my issue on to a happy place like TRF.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 06:55 AM   #19
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
Quote:
Thank you everyone for all your kind words and the many PMs I received, I am VERY sorry to bring this up and dump it on TRF....
Stop saying you're sorry, my friend. News isn't always happy, but your friends on TRF are loyal enough to share words of comfort as often as they share words of congratulations. Also, you never know where or when you're going to find a particular gem of knowledge that may be very useful. So feel free to share all you want.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 07:14 AM   #20
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidoc View Post
Stop saying you're sorry, my friend. News isn't always happy, but your friends on TRF are loyal enough to share words of comfort as often as they share words of congratulations. Also, you never know where or when you're going to find a particular gem of knowledge that may be very useful. So feel free to share all you want.
Yeah, what David said!!

I wish you all the luck with your future test results! I'll be thinking of you! Stay strong

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 06:49 AM   #21
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Sorry to hear this my fellow mountainbiker. Hang in there !!!!
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 07:07 AM   #22
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:

Thanks,
I'm sorry to hear Paul, I'm sure you will be fine.

Jocke

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 07:18 AM   #23
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

I too am sorry to hear this Paul.
And you are not dumping anything on anyone mate. It is good to get things off your chest and to share them.
I am sure it will work out fine for you.

Bully
Old 7 March 2010, 08:15 AM   #24
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)
I get tested every year since finding out my dad was in stage 4. For about 8 months or so it wasn't looking good for him at all, but he has been taking Lupron injections and his PSA has dropped below a 1. If there is one thing that I will always remember my friend (who is also my dad's urologist) saying it's, "more men die with prostate cancer than of prostate cancer". Keep your chin up, sounds like you have caught whatever it is early enough to do something about it. Hoping for the best for you and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

dp

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
ippon20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 08:25 AM   #25
Lucy Diamond
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1966 Pepsi
You hang in there!Sending positive healing vibes your way.
Old 7 March 2010, 09:02 AM   #26
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Paul...
i'm not sure what to say, other than you are in my thoughts and heart and I am sending good vibes your way, and we are ALL behind you! Stay strong, my friend
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 10:47 AM   #27
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Guys - read the thread - Paul's update is a positive one! I'm pulling for you, dude!

I think all will turn out OK, man, have a feeling. Keep us updated, I'm reserving some positive vibes for you. Plus - you've gotten past worse.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 10:57 AM   #28
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Guys - read the thread - Paul's update is a positive one! I'm pulling for you, dude!

I think all will turn out OK, man, have a feeling. Keep us updated, I'm reserving some positive vibes for you. Plus - you've gotten past worse.
I would get lots of second and third opinions
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 11:13 AM   #29
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Paul, Technology, and medicine have become very advanced. I'm sure this has been a difficult time, but you'll be fine. I know several men who have been diagnosed early, and are back to their normal selves besides a few medicines to control everything. You'd never know unless they told you. You've been on top of this situation, and found it early IF it is what your thinking.

Look at people who had like illnesses that are out there doing just fine. I think Tom Green, and Lance Armstrong had different areas affected, but same level of treatment. You'll be fine. I'd go shopping for a new Rolex, and be thankful that your getting this noticed very early. You'll be fine!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 01:13 PM   #30
ESKO

Watch: 2012 Milgauss GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
Paul, Technology, and medicine have become very advanced. I'm sure this has been a difficult time, but you'll be fine. I know several men who have been diagnosed early, and are back to their normal selves besides a few medicines to control everything. You'd never know unless they told you. You've been on top of this situation, and found it early IF it is what your thinking.

Look at people who had like illnesses that are out there doing just fine. I think Tom Green, and Lance Armstrong had different areas affected, but same level of treatment. You'll be fine. I'd go shopping for a new Rolex, and be thankful that your getting this noticed very early. You'll be fine!
From One Paul To another!!!
Good Advice!
ESKO is offline   Reply With Quote