The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2018, 08:18 AM   #1
OTX
"TRF" Member

Need advice...Daytona Ceramic waiting list

Hello folks,

Need advice. I called around all the official Rolex dealers in my area and they all have crazy waiting lists. The Rolex boutique around here even stopped taking names down. Many out of town ADs won’t even deal with you if you are not local so I gave up on out of state ADs. I found one Rolex AD who said they had 5 people on the waiting list for the white Daytona Ceramic and that I would have to pay half down as a deposit to get on the list. They said they get about 1 every 4 months. They said msrp is $12,400 so I’m assuming that’s the price. These people have been in business for over 25 years.

Would you do it?. Also, is it safe to pay the deposit over the phone?. Also, if Rolex increases the price, is the msrp locked in at the time I put the deposit?. How long do you think it’ll be until you can just get one without waiting?. Thanks!
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 08:28 AM   #2
viper
"TRF" Member

Nobody on here has these answers. It's all speculation.

Depends how bad you want one, if so put half down and wait it out. The price should be negotiated with your AD prior to placing the deposit.

If you can't wait that long pay the premium from a trusted seller here.

It's a great piece, worth the wait IMO. Good luck
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 08:32 AM   #3
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Nobody on here has these answers. It's all speculation.

Depends how bad you want one, if so put half down and wait it out. The price should be negotiated with your AD prior to placing the deposit.

It's a great piece, worth the wait IMO. Good luck
Not sure how these waiting lists work?. Never done one before. Do I just get a receipt or do we sign something?.
Old 13 January 2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odat View Post
Not sure how these waiting lists work?. Never done one before. Do I just get a receipt or do we sign something?.

There is no set of rules. An AD does what he wants. If a “VIP” calls - there go the rules and your place in line.

Roll the dice or pay reseller prices.

There was always a “shortage”
Of the prior steel Daytona - unless you got very lucky.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 08:44 AM   #5
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
nobody on here has these answers. It's all speculation.

Depends how bad you want one, if so put half down and wait it out. The price should be negotiated with your ad prior to placing the deposit.

It's a great piece, worth the wait imo. Good luck
+1
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Uppersouth
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SWISS
That may be a good way to lock one in. That’s a pretty small waiting list compared to many AD’s. My only fear of lists is the potential step-over if one of their heavy volume customers happens in the day of arrival.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 08:31 AM   #7
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppersouth View Post
That may be a good way to lock one in. That’s a pretty small waiting list compared to many AD’s. My only fear of lists is the potential step-over if one of their heavy volume customers happens in the day of arrival.
Me too!. They are an AD in a college town so I’m guessing that won’t happen hopefully.
Old 13 January 2018, 08:33 AM   #8
Uppersouth
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Me too!. They are an AD in a college town so I’m guessing that won’t happen hopefully.

I do think you’ll be subject to whatever MSRP is at the time of arrival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 12:39 PM   #9
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppersouth View Post

I just got moved up the list for a Patek 5712 due to my relationship with the AD. It happens more than you think.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 02:45 PM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
I just got moved up the list for a Patek 5712 due to my relationship with the AD. It happens more than you think.
What happened to simplification
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:29 PM   #11
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
What happened to simplification

Lol. That went out the window when I saw it for the first time. Two can work.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:43 PM   #12
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Lol. That went out the window when I saw it for the first time. Two can work.

I hear that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 08:52 AM   #13
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I waited 3.5 months for mine. No list, but I have a relationship with my AD. I have a white DaytonaC and like it. I believe IF the price goes up prior to you taking ownership then you will have to pay whatever the new MSRP is. Only way around that is as stated above negotiation prior to the deposit or pay the entire asking price now.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 09:00 AM   #14
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
I waited 3.5 months for mine. No list, but I have a relationship with my AD. I have a white DaytonaC and like it. I believe IF the price goes up prior to you taking ownership then you will have to pay whatever the new MSRP is. Only way around that is as stated above negotiation prior to the deposit or pay the entire asking price now.
I don’t mind paying full price but do I just get the receipt or?
Old 13 January 2018, 09:33 AM   #15
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don’t mind paying full price but do I just get the receipt or?
Yes if you pay for it whether deposit or full, you will get documentation.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 01:27 AM   #16
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO/EXPL
[QUOTE=Odat;8182631]I don’t mind paying full price but do I just get the receipt

Why not just ask the AD?

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 01:29 AM   #17
OTX
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Justinmg;8184215]
Quote:
I don’t mind paying full price but do I just get the receipt

Why not just ask the AD?
I just wanted to get other people’s experiences on this subject. To make sure thngs are done the right way.
Old 14 January 2018, 03:08 AM   #18
JM0127
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Odat;8184221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post

I just wanted to get other people’s experiences on this subject. To make sure thngs are done the right way.
Right way is buy from the AD and not a penny up front. That's good business. I don't bid a 1M job without first having 1M in cash to complete it. Much less a 50k job. It's good business.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
JM0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 09:02 AM   #19
sager
"TRF" Member

Need advice...Daytona Ceramic waiting list

I'll try to help as much as I can. So here is my story:

I knew I wanted a Daytona C in July and that's when I started contacting ADS. I reside in the Dubai/Kuwait area and contacted ALL ADs in the area. I also travel a lot on business to Europe and the US so I contacted ADs there with no luck. Everyone had a waiting list of at least 4 years.

I knew I had a vacation coming up in December in South America so I had my wife (who is South American) call all the ads we can find online to ask about it. Luckily we found a AD that actually had two just sitting there (black and white). We immediately began discussions about price and if they can hold it for that long.

We were asked to pay a deposit of 40% which we did (wire transfer) and were given a promise that the price they quoted us which was MSRP would remain the same since we put down a deposit.

After impatiently waiting for almost 6 months, I am happy to say that I am an owner of a white Daytona C.

So, keep making phone calls and pay the deposit if they ask. I understand that what I did may be considered a little risky but that is how much I wanted one.

I forgot to mention that after we paid the deposit, we had family in the area drive to the AD and pick up the receipt reflecting the deposit and the balance.
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 09:12 AM   #20
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sager View Post
I'll try to help as much as I can. So here is my story:

I knew I wanted a Daytona C in July and that's when I started contacting ADS. I reside in the Dubai/Kuwait area and contacted ALL ADs in the area. I also travel a lot on business to Europe and the US so I contacted ADs there with no luck. Everyone had a waiting list of at least 4 years.

I knew I had a vacation coming up in December in South America so I had my wife (who is South American) call all the ads we can find online to ask about it. Luckily we found a AD that actually had two just sitting there (black and white). We immediately began discussions about price and if they can hold it for that long.

We were asked to pay a deposit of 40% which we did (wire transfer) and were given a promise that the price they quoted us which was MSRP would remain the same since we put down a deposit.

After impatiently waiting for almost 6 months, I am happy to say that I am an owner of a white Daytona C.

So, keep making phone calls and pay the deposit if they ask. I understand that what I did may be considered a little risky but that is how much I wanted one.

I forgot to mention that after we paid the deposit, we had family in the area drive to the AD and pick up the receipt reflecting the deposit and the balance.
Glad you got one!. I was born and raised in Abu Dhabi and go there quite often but from what I heard they’re hard to get there too. I’ll call a few more but being 6th on the waiting list doesn’t sound too bad compared to the others I’ve called. I definitely want one bad but don’t want to pay a premium for one!.
Old 13 January 2018, 09:10 AM   #21
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
A waiting list of 5 people with 50% deposit sounds pretty good to me. My guess is the deposit keeps the list short and it should also hold the AD to their word since they have people's money. But obviously you have no guarantees when you'd get it.

I would also think that you'd be subject to whatever the MSRP is at the time of purchase. And you should happily pay it.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:01 AM   #22
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Agree, 6th on list is pretty good. If you trust the AD, then would put down deposit using credit card or PayPal and get receipt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:17 AM   #23
Sprta
"TRF" Member

I suspect you will pay the MSRP at the time you get the watch, considering the AP will also feel the impact of the increase.
Make the deposit via CC and have them send you the receipt. If the receipt has a balance due reflecting current prices that would be what you pay when the watch arrives.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:25 AM   #24
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
I suspect you will pay the MSRP at the time you get the watch, considering the AP will also feel the impact of the increase.
Make the deposit via CC and have them send you the receipt. If the receipt has a balance due reflecting current prices that would be what you pay when the watch arrives.
So it might be better for me to pay the whole $12,400 and lock the price then as I’m not sure when Rolex might increase the price?.
Old 13 January 2018, 11:00 AM   #25
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
Will do. Thanks!
Old 13 January 2018, 10:24 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You will pay the MSRP at the time as the AD will have had to pay more to get the watch then, and make sure you have some documented proof that you paid the deposit.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:37 AM   #27
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Just a couple of things to add. You WILL have to pay the price it is when it arrives. Let’s say it’s two years and the MSRP has gone up $1000, no way the dealer’s going to just eat that extra cost/profit.
Secondly, from years of experience, randomly calling dealers all over asking for their most elusive product is not the way you really become eligible to buy it. A handful might go for that, but just think how many calls a typical dealer gets asking the same thing. Giving you a huge number or saying they won’t take more names is their way of getting rid of you. Stopping in person to chat, maybe even buy something, has a much better chance of you being seen as a bonafide customer. They are not having any problem selling these things.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:43 AM   #28
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Just a couple of things to add. You WILL have to pay the price it is when it arrives. Let’s say it’s two years and the MSRP has gone up $1000, no way the dealer’s going to just eat that extra cost/profit.
Secondly, from years of experience, randomly calling dealers all over asking for their most elusive product is not the way you really become eligible to buy it. A handful might go for that, but just think how many calls a typical dealer gets asking the same thing. Giving you a huge number or saying they won’t take more names is their way of getting rid of you. Stopping in person to chat, maybe even buy something, has a much better chance of you being seen as a bonafide customer. They are not having any problem selling these things.
I understand. Many dealers I called wouldn’t even discuss it unless I shopped there before. Even if I pay full price, they will charge me the new price if it changes?.
Old 13 January 2018, 10:49 AM   #29
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
I understand. Many dealers I called wouldn’t even discuss it unless I shopped there before. Even if I pay full price, they will charge me the new price if it changes?.
Yes you will have to pay whatever the full price is when the watch is delivered. If it goes up $1000, you will have to pay another $1000. I’m sure the dealer that says he’ll take a deposit will make that clear.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:44 AM   #30
benzng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello folks,

Need advice. I called around all the official Rolex dealers in my area and they all have crazy waiting lists. The Rolex boutique around here even stopped taking names down. Many out of town ADs won’t even deal with you if you are not local so I gave up on out of state ADs. I found one Rolex AD who said they had 5 people on the waiting list for the white Daytona Ceramic and that I would have to pay half down as a deposit to get on the list. They said they get about 1 every 4 months. They said msrp is $12,400 so I’m assuming that’s the price. These people have been in business for over 25 years.

Would you do it?. Also, is it safe to pay the deposit over the phone?. Also, if Rolex increases the price, is the msrp locked in at the time I put the deposit?. How long do you think it’ll be until you can just get one without waiting?. Thanks!
IF you really wanted it like I do, I would pay for the deposit. I told my AD about it when it was released. I waited around 8 months despite being the 1st on the list. I got it SRP and was rewarded with a black one immediately when I told my AD I was planning to collect the 2.
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote