The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 March 2018, 11:41 PM   #1
Wellstime
"TRF" Member

Next move - Please help!

Hi All

I have a question which I’ve been thinking over for the past few weeks. Initially, I thought it was crazy but I’m becoming more and more certain about going ahead with it. I’d appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this.

My current Rolex collection consists of: DaytonaC White, SD4K, GMT II BLNR, GMT 16700 pepsi and a Hulk (incoming). Im thinking of trading all of these for a Daytona Platinum. Given I want to minimise the amount of cash I need to add, the Platona will be second hand.

So far I see the positives as:
- Consolidation/ simplification of my collection is good as the novelty of choice is waring off for me
- I would love to be a one watch person (that will never happen but maybe one Rolex will)
- I get (in my opinion) the ultimate Rolex

The swap would leave me with some affordable beaters, a Royal Oak and a TAG Heuer Monaco (neither of these two can be traded).

I guess my questions are:
1. Would you do the trade if you were in my position and
2. Can you recommend any UK based dealers to speak to.

Many thanks in advance for your opinions!
Wellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 11:49 PM   #2
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Good morning. Being that you have other options, I’d do it. (But that’s just my opinion) Many will not share the same opinion I’m sure, but the platinum Daytona is one of THE best.
I wouldn’t do it if you didn’t have your others for different options. I once made a 3/1 trade for a platona, but I had a SS Sub left, and then continued to add to the collection after. To each their own, but the PL Daytona is watch that’s worth it (IMO)
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 11:51 PM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd keep one Rolex, the Hulk, and trade the rest. Try Watchfinder, Watchclub and Watches.co.uk and push hard for a good deal not their first offer.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 11:53 PM   #4
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I wouldn't, simply as I would never be a one watch person. I like true variety, my mix of watches covers several brands, divers, GMT's, dress watches etc.

I'm also not a fan of the Daytona, nor the ice blue dial. I think many of the white gold options are far more attractive than the platinum, for that matter find your current Daytona C to be better looking.
Of course, yours is the only opinion that truly matters, so, if the Platona will scratch the itch, go for it.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 11:53 PM   #5
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
If you're a one-watch person and you're sure that the Daytona Platinum is that one watch, then you should do it.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 11:54 PM   #6
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The thing you have to be careful with in multi-watch swaps is what would it look like if you regret your decision down the road and want to reverse it.

In this case, I wouldn't. Some of those watches are going to be next to impossible to re-acquire. Or impossible. So...I would give it some consideration.

My advice: Only flip on a one for one basis. Worst case two for one. Then you can get your life back together should you need to.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 11:55 PM   #7
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I’d never do that but to each his own. You have some great watches and to part with them would be tough!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 11:59 PM   #8
zjd168
"TRF" Member

I won't
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:18 AM   #9
77T

It is certainly a watch worth having. I did sell 2 of my old Rolexes to get one last year and was happy with less decision-making time each morning. Like, “which one will it be today?”

But maybe you can find a balance of cash outlay by selling some instead of trading all. Heres what I mean: you will lose about 30% value per piece doing a trade. That’s because the seller who is taking your watch will want to make some margin reselling it, plus a reserve for risk of having to payout for some servicing just in case.

So, by trading 3 or 4 for one, you’ve given away as much value as one of those watches are worth.

I’d suggest selling them over time and reserving the proceeds while you begin your search for a 116506. You’ll preserve more values that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:32 AM   #10
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Given your reasoning and wanting to consolidate / simplify, I would do it.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:36 AM   #11
mml4
"TRF" Member

The Platona is gorgeous but not at the price of those 5. I couldn't do that trade.
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:37 AM   #12
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
No way would i do that trade. Curious why is the platinum Daytona the ultimate Rolex for you? Because of its price?
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:56 AM   #13
Wellstime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
No way would i do that trade. Curious why is the platinum Daytona the ultimate Rolex for you? Because of its price?
No, the price isn't a factor. Its a combination of the Daytona history and aesthetic, the chrono functionality, the ice blue dial and heft of the watch on the wrist in such a (relatively) small design. Its also more understated than yellow/ rose gold. I cant see any of those being matched in another model.
Old 6 March 2018, 01:11 AM   #14
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstime View Post
No, the price isn't a factor. Its a combination of the Daytona history and aesthetic, the chrono functionality, the ice blue dial and heft of the watch on the wrist in such a (relatively) small design. Its also more understated than yellow/ rose gold. I cant see any of those being matched in another model.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:38 AM   #15
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Honestly, trading all those beautiful pieces for a used platinum Daytona sounds like borderline insanity to me. If you want to streamline, then by all means do it, but that seems like a huge trade for a watch that isn't as desirable to me as some of the watches you'd be trading for it.
Old 6 March 2018, 12:38 AM   #16
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I really like your collection as it stands. If you do go for the platinum Daytona, I would hold onto one stainless steel piece (GMT-Master II or Submariner Date).
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:39 AM   #17
WBA_Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
It's always a hard decision to make. I sold a 116613LB and a DJ 41 plus $ in order to get the WG Daytona on OF. I have to say now I am extremely happy with this decision but before making it I had a few nights of hard thinking. So, take your time and remember: the night is always a good adviser!

2019 GMT II 126710 BLRO
2019 Daytona 116500 Black Dial
2019 Submariner 116610LV
WBA_Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:52 AM   #18
Wellstime
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm certainly aware that if I go ahead with this then it'll be very difficult/ impossible to reverse. I'm also aware it all sounds quite insane!
Old 6 March 2018, 01:06 AM   #19
Hramez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Philippe
Will never do this deal , but at the end do what makes you happy
Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hramez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 01:14 AM   #20
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
On TRF, it seems the vast majority of members value variety, so most "should I swap 2:1, 3:1, 4:1?" posts are met with negative feedback. Although the debate as to whether a platinum Daytona is "better" than a SS one is also a matter of opinion, I would rather wear the platinum Daytona every day and enjoy the idea that I am wearing my favorite version of my favorite watch. And I'd rather not know that I am sitting 4 or 5 or 10 watches at a time to wear whatever watch I choose that day. The idea of having to service and perhaps insure a whole collection of watches that, the bigger the collection, the less I wear, is not appealing to me. Most here differ in that opinion.

If you are a one or two watch person, and the platinum Daytona is your favorite watch, it may make sense for you. Only you can answer that.

Although this will also be an unpopular opinion, I am not sure that any of the watches you are considering swapping would be so hard to replace. They would cost some dough, though. But they are not like finding that perfect 6263, not by a long shot.

OK, I will slink back in my corner and promise not to say anything else.
Old 6 March 2018, 01:27 AM   #21
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I would do it as you have 2 great watches remaining. Man I wish I was in a place where a Royal Oak was my beater.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 01:58 AM   #22
Wellstime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
I would do it as you have 2 great watches remaining. Man I wish I was in a place where a Royal Oak was my beater.
sorry, I would be left with some beaters plus a RO plus a Monaco. I would never class a RO as a 'beater'!
Old 6 March 2018, 01:48 AM   #23
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

One of the reasons Rolex is so well respected is "resale" value. If you can trade/sell for fair "resale", you have essentially been paying/saving for the Platinum Daytona overtime. To me, it's less of money factor if you are comfortable with that side of the transaction, it's if you want to pare down the collection for the "ONE" that speaks to you most - only you can decide that. Collections are great, I have several watches, but can only wear one at a time, perhaps for you wearing THE ONE is more important.
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 03:22 AM   #24
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxedElvis View Post
One of the reasons Rolex is so well respected is "resale" value. If you can trade/sell for fair "resale", you have essentially been paying/saving for the Platinum Daytona overtime. To me, it's less of money factor if you are comfortable with that side of the transaction, it's if you want to pare down the collection for the "ONE" that speaks to you most - only you can decide that. Collections are great, I have several watches, but can only wear one at a time, perhaps for you wearing THE ONE is more important.

Great insights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 01:53 AM   #25
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Next move - Please help!

I’d keep the LVc and trade the rest, and, if possible, add a little extra to get NIB from a TS on the forum.

Edit:

On second read of your watches, I couldn’t let go of the SDc. I won’t sell mine, ever.
Old 6 March 2018, 02:00 AM   #26
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I think if it was any other watch then people would be like woah don't do it but the Daytona Platinum certainly is a watch a lot of people would aspire too.
Try and keep 1 SS back and let the rest go for what I assume would be a straight swap?
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 02:08 AM   #27
Wellstime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingy View Post
I think if it was any other watch then people would be like woah don't do it but the Daytona Platinum certainly is a watch a lot of people would aspire too.
Try and keep 1 SS back and let the rest go for what I assume would be a straight swap?
I think it may be if they all go but I would likely need to add cash and think I would almost certainly need to add some if it was only four going. Having said that, ive yet to approach any dealers.
Old 6 March 2018, 03:28 AM   #28
Londonboy
"TRF" Member

Not sure about the current pricing in the UK (I'm in Florida) but why not sell them all individually yourself?

The Daytona C, BLNR, Hulk are all hard to get and now might be a good time to cash them in if you're seriously thinking of doing the 5 for 1 scenario. The SDc and 16700 will also sell, though maybe less buyers around for them. Then put all the money towards a BNIB Platinum Daytona.

Personally I would NOT do the trade as you're leaving a lot of money on the table for the dealer to put in his pocket, with his margins you're effectively getting rid of 5 watches for at most the money for 4 of them, imho

GL
Londonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 03:33 AM   #29
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
Simple answer from me, do what makes you happy. I like the Platona but not the point of swapping the others, the Daytona C to me is equally as nice on the wrist.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 04:01 AM   #30
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
A big giant NO from me! I like variety AND personally I have no desire to spend 55K or more on a watch. Id rather have 5 $10kish watches. This hobby can get out of hand quick with the constant quest for whats next. Ive been where you are and almost did something very similar and SOOOO glad I didn't.
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote