The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2019, 06:43 PM   #1
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

GMT vs. Daytona

Hello fellow TRF.
If you had to choose between the 2 considering you have nothing in your collection, which will it be?
GMT master II 126710 BLNR
Daytona 116500 LN with black dial.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 May 2019, 06:46 PM   #2
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Tough call. Depends on your lifestyle but I think the Daytona is the more versatile of the two. I think it goes equally as well with a suit or T-shirt and jeans.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 06:47 PM   #3
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
Daytona, no contest!
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 01:58 AM   #4
ChipotleBanana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Tough call. Depends on your lifestyle but I think the Daytona is the more versatile of the two. I think it goes equally as well with a suit or T-shirt and jeans.
Your definition of versatile is strictly relating to fashion. Practically speaking, the GMT wins in every way.
ChipotleBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:17 AM   #5
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipotleBanana View Post
Your definition of versatile is strictly relating to fashion. Practically speaking, the GMT wins in every way.

Agree.

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 06:56 PM   #6
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I would go GMT. For the most part but not exclusively, I need a chronograph more than 2/3 time zones. The problem with the Daytona for me is that the sub dials are difficult to read, which renders the chrono function useless. I hope Rolex don't bring out a 42mm (or greater) Daytona because I would be unable to think about anything else, so consumed with desire would I be (probably). But then again, if they do, I am unlikely to live long enough to be able to get one, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 11:13 PM   #7
airpeace
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I would go GMT. For the most part but not exclusively, I need a chronograph more than 2/3 time zones. The problem with the Daytona for me is that the sub dials are difficult to read, which renders the chrono function useless. I hope Rolex don't bring out a 42mm (or greater) Daytona because I would be unable to think about anything else, so consumed with desire would I be (probably). But then again, if they do, I am unlikely to live long enough to be able to get one, so maybe it doesn't matter.
what you use the chrono for?
airpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 01:45 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I have to agree. Daytona has the worst legibility, sub dial wise, of any chronograph I have ever seen. I cannot use the chrono function. The new SS Ceramic are improved over the previous model but still very hard to read. Strange the TT and PM models have many dials which are fairly legible.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 07:32 PM   #9
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I buy for price, function, appearance, reliability. If the price isn’t in the budget I go no further. If it doesn’t satisfy a functional need, I go no further. If the watch doesn’t appeal visually, I go no further. Etc.

The Daytona could be in the budget and it looks stunning. But it doesn’t satisfy any functional need I have. I’d also have to tote reading glasses to read the watch

The GMT fits the budget, looks good ( although I much prefer my older BLNR ). I travel a lot and the dual time zone is useful and I like a date.

I’d pick the GMT.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 04:52 PM   #10
Londonrolex
"TRF" Member

Icon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
I buy for price, function, appearance, reliability. If the price isn’t in the budget I go no further. If it doesn’t satisfy a functional need, I go no further. If the watch doesn’t appeal visually, I go no further. Etc.

The Daytona could be in the budget and it looks stunning. But it doesn’t satisfy any functional need I have. I’d also have to tote reading glasses to read the watch

The GMT fits the budget, looks good ( although I much prefer my older BLNR ). I travel a lot and the dual time zone is useful and I like a date.

I’d pick the GMT.
Irritating answer: OP is asking you to consider his position and then respond... not consider your own position (which sounds like a financial limited, visually impaired one).
Londonrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 08:06 PM   #11
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Daytona!!!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 08:08 PM   #12
blufinz52
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 116400GV 124060
Daytona!
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 08:14 PM   #13
ADR1982
"TRF" Member

Gmt
ADR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 08:15 PM   #14
ADR1982
"TRF" Member

The gmt has a more useful complication and has the tradmark bicolor bezel and cyclops. I do love the Daytona too, but not a useful complication to me
ADR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 08:24 PM   #15
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR1982 View Post
The gmt has a more useful complication and has the tradmark bicolor bezel and cyclops. I do love the Daytona too, but not a useful complication to me

Especially the Batman where blue is for the day and black is for the night. Imo, this is the model that makes most sense in the entire GMT lineup.
Cheers.

Old 14 May 2019, 02:23 PM   #16
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
Whichever my AD comes up first
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 08:24 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The GMT because of the more useful complication and because I can’t read the time very easily on the Daytona.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 08:34 PM   #18
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Of the Choices provided at retail I would go with the Daytona. Adding in another watch and I would find a Submariner or a Polar Explorer II.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 08:43 PM   #19
Amazing
"TRF" Member

I'd go Daytona and I prefer the black dial too. I'll deal with the legibility issues some years down the line when my eyes start to give up.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 09:04 PM   #20
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Wow. A difficult decision and based on the other posters, polarising too. From my POV I would consider a number of issues. 1) The Daytona is the only watch in their entire range that offers a chronograph function. That is an important consideration if you are trying to build a collection. 2) The choice of case, dial, bezel and strap also make the Daytona an extremely attractive proposition to a wide range of tastes. 3) The historic links with celebrities and in particular Paul Newman have raised the profile of this watch to biblical proportions. 4) The fact that it is for all intent and purpose "unobtainable" makes it all the more desirable". The GMT however, has it's own unique characteristics. 1) It has a massive following with many considering it to be the quintessential Rolex (even surpassing the Submariner). 2) The watch bezel is the only one in the entire range that provides a splash of colour which has in itself attracted a number of homage watches from other brands. 3) The GMT function which whilst being available on other watches in the range is nevertheless seen as its USP. 4) Because of all the hype surrounding the Daytona, the GMT is possibly more readily available.

So, all in all, an almost impossible conundrum to solve. I have a GMT but I would love a Daytona. The question is... If I had a Daytona, would I still crave a GMT?
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 09:16 PM   #21
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregShakeshaft View Post
Wow. A difficult decision and based on the other posters, polarising too. From my POV I would consider a number of issues. 1) The Daytona is the only watch in their entire range that offers a chronograph function. That is an important consideration if you are trying to build a collection. 2) The choice of case, dial, bezel and strap also make the Daytona an extremely attractive proposition to a wide range of tastes. 3) The historic links with celebrities and in particular Paul Newman have raised the profile of this watch to biblical proportions. 4) The fact that it is for all intent and purpose "unobtainable" makes it all the more desirable". The GMT however, has it's own unique characteristics. 1) It has a massive following with many considering it to be the quintessential Rolex (even surpassing the Submariner). 2) The watch bezel is the only one in the entire range that provides a splash of colour which has in itself attracted a number of homage watches from other brands. 3) The GMT function which whilst being available on other watches in the range is nevertheless seen as its USP. 4) Because of all the hype surrounding the Daytona, the GMT is possibly more readily available.

So, all in all, an almost impossible conundrum to solve. I have a GMT but I would love a Daytona. The question is... If I had a Daytona, would I still crave a GMT?

Speaking of building a collection, I have both models but in older variations.
I have the GMT LN with oyster case and the Daytona white dial 116520.
Thing is, if I get the Daytona, only the dial color and the bezel are changing since it's still the same movement, same bracelet.
Whereas the GMT I'm getting a new bezel color, a new movement, and a new bracelet. Also, my GMT is the oldest in my collection (9 years). And of all my watches, all are black or white. No colors.
Cheers.

Old 14 May 2019, 08:32 AM   #22
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregShakeshaft View Post

Not to invalidate any of your points, just pointing out that Clint Eastwood often wore a Root- Beer GMT.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 04:09 PM   #23
Chronomania
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
Wow. A difficult decision and.........

I have the black Daytona and crave a GMT!
Chronomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 12:29 AM   #24
Chronomania
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronomania View Post
I have the black Daytona and crave a GMT!
I now have both and lean towards the gmt. The jubilee bracelet is more comfortable and additional time zones/date are more useful.
Chronomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 09:08 PM   #25
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Daytona hands down.
Old 13 May 2019, 09:55 PM   #26
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
D500.

ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 09:59 PM   #27
JordyLondon
"TRF" Member

After owning a GMT BLNR if now go with the Daytona
JordyLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 10:17 PM   #28
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordyLondon View Post
After owning a GMT BLNR if now go with the Daytona

I don't own a BLNR. LN only

Old 13 May 2019, 10:00 PM   #29
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Daytona is better looking (Miss Universe vs. Miss Switzerland), GMT more functional & rugged.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 10:16 PM   #30
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
After reading the OPs question I was certain the vast majority would say Daytona for sure.

Just goes to show how personal our tastes are in this hobby of ours

Oh and by the way I say Daytona