The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 April 2020, 11:37 AM   #1
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

New Member - Hi and Advice on purchasing New

Hello everyone!

Looking to start my collection with:

1) GMT- Master 2 (various colors)
2) Explorer 2 - white face
3) White face Daytona (hopeful)

Now I am looking to purchase new and "make a relationship with ADs." I just don't understand why the process is so difficult.

I can buy a car Tesla, expensive Mac online but not a watch lol.

Any advice on finding an AD with inventory thats new and straight-shooter, I don't like the feel of third-party dealers. Appreciate it.
jakemiller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 12:57 PM   #2
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Welcome to the forum!

In this climate, I would look for a trusted seller here on the forum. The only one you may be able to find in a reasonable amount of time in an AD is the Explorer II.

As a first, I would recommend the retail experience but if you want a particular model quickly, you will have to sacrifice that.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 01:03 PM   #3
calebb90
Banned

Pick an AD, start a nice convo. If you like them, spend some money. Voila, relationship started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 01:20 PM   #4
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Do you want “new” because your name on the warranty card matters or are you mainly concerned with watch condition?

EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 01:51 PM   #5
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBrown View Post
Do you want “new” because your name on the warranty card matters or are you mainly concerned with watch condition?

Both. I am going to have this for my whole life, pass on to family afterwards. So, I like to have new and make sure its perfect.
Old 29 April 2020, 12:33 AM   #6
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemiller69 View Post
Both. I am going to have this for my whole life, pass on to family afterwards. So, I like to have new and make sure its perfect.
This tells me that you should be buying the seller as much as you are buying the watches. Don't sacrifice price,for peace of mind. The good news is that there is less demand , not so much that you'll see these watches "cheap" pretty much ever. It does mean that if you buy from a trusted Grey dealer you can pay less of a premium and have the watches the next day. Buying more than one watch at once gives you very good negotiating power to get pricing down a bit.

Less demand may not get you a watch at an AD without a wait, but it's sure worth asking. If you aren't in a rush, try the wait
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 01:29 PM   #7
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Welcome and spend some time reading older threads about purchase history and hard to get models. Find the largest AD near you (one that does high volume sales) and develop a relationship with them. Stores with higher volume sales get more desirable pieces. You need to develop a buying history. Things may change after this pandemic is over, but before it hit, they had more buyers than pieces to sell. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 28 April 2020, 02:38 PM   #8
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

I have seen people say the following before, and while I don’t have any evidence to support it, it seems like it would make sense.

I wouldn’t roll into an AD and say - I’m looking for any GMT, a white dial Daytona and an Exp II. It comes off as, “I’ll take anything you’ve got that’s selling above retail on the secondary market.”

This in turn heightens the senses of the AD to be on the lookout for someone who is potentially looking to make a quick few bucks (not saying this is your goal, just saying it could easily be perceived that way). At which point, you’ve already built your first barrier you now need to overcome.

As another poster said, your question has been asked countless times in the short amount of time I’ve been reading this forum. Pour a beer, or scotch, or whatever, open up the search function and enjoy plenty of opinions, good and bad.

And if you don’t feel like doing that, then when AD’s open up just go in and be a normal person. Be polite, tell them a specific watch you’re interested in, and ask what needs to be done to make it happen. If you like what they say, great, and if you don’t, on to the next AD.

Best of luck.
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 03:00 PM   #9
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman11 View Post

I wouldn’t roll into an AD and say - I’m looking for any GMT, a white dial Daytona and an Exp II. It comes off as, “I’ll take anything you’ve got that’s selling above retail on the secondary market.”
I would second this advice. Although, I haven't taken it myself - because I have purchased from my AD before, and I want the watches for my own use, not for resale. But as a new buyer, I would start with the Explorer, as it is the one most likely to come available, and then work your way up from there. Thus, you start your collection and your relationship with the AD.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 01:53 PM   #10
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

Great tips gentleman, thank you. Have been speaking to a local dealer and all they have is an Everose Sky-Dweller and the Datejust. Not really a fan of either.

I am lucky enough to be able to afford any watch (not bragging), but I want to start a bit more conservative here until I dip my toe in and know what I will really enjoy.

I just truly had no idea that the market for these watches is so tough.
Old 28 April 2020, 10:40 PM   #11
Citystar31
Banned

Quote:
Great tips gentleman, thank you. Have been speaking to a local dealer and all they have is an Everose Sky-Dweller and the Datejust. Not really a fan of either.

I am lucky enough to be able to afford any watch (not bragging), but I want to start a bit more conservative here until I dip my toe in and know what I will really enjoy.

I just truly had no idea that the market for these watches is so tough.
There’s your answer lol! Like many have been saying there are tons of people with purchase history ahead of you on waiting lists for those watches! How do you make it to the top you ask!? Find an AD that also sells AP/PP and go spend 50-100k on a beautiful watch and I can guarantee you those long waitlists will magically shorten in a couple months!
Citystar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 04:38 PM   #12
Ihatecheese
Banned

Yes it's good to have a search of the forum as this Q is answered almost daily.

Your comparisons aren't as in demand unfortunately. That's the main blocker

You are after the same watches as the majority of the social media, luxury items, fashion and watch set. Jump on insta and type Rolex the majority are those exact models worn by an influencer. The price is an accessable point for many moderately wealthy or aspirational purchasers which ups the addressable market too.
Some people and businesses try to purchase these to simply resell. Similar to in demand trainers or a nice purse.

As such it will be difficult or impossible to buy in a official Rolex authorised distributor without greasing palms. The realistic option is to either via a grey dealer. Wait many years. Or perhaps choose some less common choices.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 04:43 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Looking to start my collection with:
1) GMT- Master 2 (various colors)
2) Explorer 2 - white face
3) White face Daytona (hopeful)

Odds are the Explorer 2 may be your best bet.

Quote:
... I can buy a car Tesla, expensive Mac online but not a watch lol.
You can also go buy a Honda or Lexus at many places, yet try and buy the hot new Ferrari or mid-engine Corvette... see what happens

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 04:43 PM   #14
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

i would start with buying ExpII to build the relationship. prob one of easier watches to get

then wait a bit then ask and hopefully buy GMT
then wait a bit and hopefully they will offer daytona (maybe)

No rationale AD with existing clients will off new person GMT or Daytona (of course some have got lucky but think about all the thousands of ADs and how often than may have happened ....i'd say very low)
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 04:46 PM   #15
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Actually the COVID 19 moment is the beast time to talk to ADs for watches. I was looking for 114060 for a couple months until last week I sent an email to one of my local ADs, and I got the call on the next day, so I got my watch on the same day (curbside pick up) as well. ( I went to that AD before SIP, and I was told there were many ppl were on the list for 114060)
dummykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 02:51 AM   #16
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
Actually the COVID 19 moment is the beast time to talk to ADs for watches. I was looking for 114060 for a couple months until last week I sent an email to one of my local ADs, and I got the call on the next day, so I got my watch on the same day (curbside pick up) as well. ( I went to that AD before SIP, and I was told there were many ppl were on the list for 114060)
I was hoping the same as well, I am thinking another month or two before the pinch starts on the high-end watch market and then they become more accessible at my AD.
Old 28 April 2020, 04:57 PM   #17
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
i would start slow and build a relationship with an AD of your choosing......and work from there
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 05:37 PM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
As above, I’d start with my sights on Exp2 and go from there.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 06:31 PM   #19
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp2,BlkBy,SD
White dial Daytona?
Old 28 April 2020, 06:47 PM   #20
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
New Member - Hi and Advice on purchasing New

Do look up the trusted sellers here or the those that offer trusted checkout on chrono24 with good and substantial reviews. You can have any of those watches you want.

Now if you want to buy only retail, there’s great advise here already given.

Will however say, trying those watches or any watch you want to buy is very important. Ideally what you’re buying or if not at least a variant of it so you know how it feels on your wrist. You should start there. There’s enough posts here about people buying without trying or seeing the watches and regretting it.

Happy hunting

Old 28 April 2020, 10:51 PM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Any advice on finding an AD with inventory thats new and straight-shooter, I don't like the feel of third-party dealers. Appreciate it.
Welcome to the forum.

Cars and computers are commodities, throw away items that get replaced every few years.

High end luxury jewelry is in demand for the simple reason that the average person cannot obtain it.

Find an AD and show interest in product or buy from someone who has it available today. Those are your choices.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 11:02 PM   #22
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Well you want some of the most sought after/hyped watches out there, so good luck with that. Maybe focus on the Explorer II. Then again, if you're able to pay for any watch you want, just go grey and get what you want. Save you a lot of time, effort, and money if you planned on schmoozing up to an AD with big time purchases to get on a "list".
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 11:07 PM   #23
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Already a lot of good advice in the replies above. You certainly have choices and considering you can "afford any watch" you can try to procure the white face Explorer through an AD at retail or have your pick of the other two by buying through a trusted grey dealer. There are hundreds of each watch available in "new and unworn" condition so it's really only a matter of how much of a premium you're willing to pay in order to get the watch you want.

With regard to availability, there are many things these days that you can't just go out and buy at MSRP, for example, in-demand steel sports watches from Rolex and Patek, Pappy Van Winkle bourbon, Hibiki 17 or 21-year-old Japenese whisky, most Ferraris, Hermes Birkin bags, N95 masks, toilet paper in many cities, etc, etc.

Welcome to the forum, spend some time reading the posts here and you'll get up to speed in no time.

-andrew
Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 11:21 PM   #24
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

If you can afford any watch then buy a PM Daytona to hold you over and to start the AD relationship. You can leverage the value of that watch towards the three pieces you want on trade.

EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 12:42 AM   #25
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now I am looking to purchase new and "make a relationship with ADs." I just don't understand why the process is so difficult.

You probably do understand but aren't ready to admit it just yet.

You could buy something much, much nicer like the Everose Sky Dweller that you mention or would that be just too easy? You've been challenged now, you've got money, who says you can't buy a watch?
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 02:50 AM   #26
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
You probably do understand but aren't ready to admit it just yet.

You could buy something much, much nicer like the Everose Sky Dweller that you mention or would that be just too easy? You've been challenged now, you've got money, who says you can't buy a watch?
I was definitely tempted for the ER Sky Dweller, but tbh I am a low key person. It seems a bit flashy and I am drawn to the stainless, masculine look.

I do not like to show off money or my wealth. I drive a car with more horsepower and speed than a high end Ferrari, but its in a car that "Soccer moms drive."
Old 29 April 2020, 06:24 AM   #27
Exceptional
Banned

Quote:
I was definitely tempted for the ER Sky Dweller, but tbh I am a low key person. It seems a bit flashy and I am drawn to the stainless, masculine look.

I do not like to show off money or my wealth. I drive a car with more horsepower and speed than a high end Ferrari, but its in a car that "Soccer moms drive."
Then go for white gold e.g. white gold Daytona (it's far more beautiful than the panda you want) or white gold GMT Pepsi with meteorite dial!

Both pieces exceed all the watches you listed, most people won't know if it's steel or gold. You really have no excuse now.
Exceptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 06:38 AM   #28
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:

A first fine watch without major budget constraints is going to be a challenge if you try to cover many bases with just one piece.

For example...

Not too 'Liberace', but still recognisable by people who 'know' watches.

High-end but still with broad appeal, not so esoteric as to be like burning your money.

Versatile, durable, but not too plain or boring.

Unfortunately there are flip-sides to this.

The first you know which is that there is a queue of people ahead of you who all want a nice, versatile, stylish, expensive but not too expensive, reliable, low-key but recognisable watch with great value retention. And so you can't have one.

But consider even people who know nothing about watches recognise Rolex, if only because they've seen Victoria Beckham or Jay Z's watches.

Watch thieves will of course recognise your Rolex.

And people who know watches may see a Daytona and not just see positives; that it's just an investment buy and you're not really into watches, you threw money at it just to be a sheep and get a hot watch, you might be a Freemason, maybe you just spent years sucking up to an AD and buying stuff you didn't want.

I'd go for that Everose Sky Dweller over the time and/or expense of aquiring a steel Daytona any day.

Btw I don't know if you've tried a Daytona on but they're tiny. I really think they suit women more than men.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 02:11 AM   #29
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

I’d go for the ER SD if you have £. What a first Rolex to have ! You say you can buy any watch you want.. I’d start there. The AD will know you mean business. In a year or 2 you’ll have your gmt and daytona

Although please note the Rolex factory is not making watches at present...
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 06:38 AM   #30
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

SS Daytona and SS GMT are models that are reserved for their best customers i.e. long time customers or very big spenders. You have little no chance of getting one from an AD if you're a random new customer. Selling one to you might mean they lose a sale to a long time customer who was about to drop 50k on some jewelry for his wife.

The Explorer polar is the only realistic option imo. Express interest, feel them out, see what happens.

Since you mention GMT, and also that you don't want the RG SkyD, maybe look into the TT Rootbeer?
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote