The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 October 2020, 12:58 AM   #1
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Advice about which Moonwatch

Hey all, sorry if this question has been asked a million times...

I've gotten interested in Omega and the moon watch lately. I really like it's history, like how it looks in photos (haven't seen one in person), and I don't have a chronograph yet -- the rest of my collection are Rolex watches, but I don't have the patience to wait for a Daytona plus I don't really care for how they look.

Started researching it, and didn't realize there were so many versions. I think I want the "classic" one (Speedmaster professional) - since I admire it's history and clean looks. My two biggest questions are:

1. Is it too big for me? I have 7 inch wrists. I have a DateJust 36mm and that doesn't look too small. And I have a 40mm GMT-II which is just on the edge of not looking too big. Is the 42mm Speedmaster going to look like I'm wearing a hubcap on my skinny wrist? The local shop that carries Omega doesn't have one for me to try on... And I know that some watches wear bigger or smaller than their numbers may indicate.

2. Should I get the Hesalite or the Sapphire crystal? I am notoriously rough on my watches, and appreciate that my Rolexes don't show scratches like my cheaper watches always did. And I like the crystal back on the Sapphire model -- I'm a geek and like machinery. But the Hesalite watch is really closer to the "authentic" moon watch, and in fact is the only one certified for EVA, etc. (not that I plan a space flight any time soon, lol), so I'm more inclined to that model. I guess the bottom line is, how easily does the Hesalite scratch?

Thanks for indulging my beginner questions!

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"

Last edited by dchernikoff; 11 October 2020 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: remeasured my wrist, it's 7 not 6.75 lol
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 01:31 AM   #2
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Go with automatic sapphire crystal one. Haselite one scratches easily and is not a beater watch!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 01:35 AM   #3
Austerlitz7
"TRF" Member

Uhh the Haselite is the very definition of a beater watch, scratches are easy to fix on it. And it’s the closest to the watch in the moon as you are likely to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Austerlitz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 02:06 AM   #4
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I don’t think it will be small on your wrist. My gut instinct is to say hesalite but given your tendency to be rough on watched, I’d think you might be happier with sapphire.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 02:14 AM   #5
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys.

Am I correct in saying that the Sapphire one does NOT have the domed bezel, more "square edged" like a Rolex with Sapphire?

I've seen some 2020 Hesalites on sale in the classified section here for about $2K less than retail (or at least $2K less than the price if I order it on the Omega web site). Curious why the significant price drop for essentially a new watch, any ideas? And if I went to an Omega Boutique could would they discount a new one? (I'm used to the Rolex world of insanity where used costs more than new, and never a discount at an AD). Thanks for any info!

-Dan
Old 11 October 2020, 02:23 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is only one "Moonwatch".

If you are getting one of the many other variations, get the features that you like and wish to wear on your wrist.
Old 11 October 2020, 02:45 AM   #7
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post
Thanks guys.

Am I correct in saying that the Sapphire one does NOT have the domed bezel, more "square edged" like a Rolex with Sapphire?

I've seen some 2020 Hesalites on sale in the classified section here for about $2K less than retail (or at least $2K less than the price if I order it on the Omega web site). Curious why the significant price drop for essentially a new watch, any ideas? And if I went to an Omega Boutique could would they discount a new one? (I'm used to the Rolex world of insanity where used costs more than new, and never a discount at an AD). Thanks for any info!

-Dan

Most Omega watches are more “readily available” as compared to Rolex sports steel watches. Unless it’s a model like the 321 or a LE, you’ll generally be able to find most Omega available.

I’m surprised your local Omega shop didn’t have both the hestalite and sapphire sandwich available for you to try on.

Additionally you can usually get a discount from an AD, maybe not OB. AD discounts vary, but 15% is not uncommon.

So with that said, its understandable why they sell for a bit less pre-owned. Still desirable watches, but readily available at a local AD new for 15% off, so to buy pre-owner you have to get a further discount.

There are of course specific models that trade much higher than retail. Snoopy 45 is probably the craziest recent example, retailing at $7k and selling now for $35k+.

Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 02:48 AM   #8
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

I’ll also add, I would go for the sapphire sandwich!

To me it’s just a better version of the hestalite. I personally don’t care that it’s “identical” to the watch that went on the moon. And if you did care about that, you’d need to look at the movement then and start thinking about a 321. I just like the historical significance and what it represents.

I’ve been eyeing a moonwatch for awhile, and had been holding out for the snoopy 50. Really glad I did and glad I had my deposit in as well, cause that’s the one I’m getting!!

Old 11 October 2020, 03:37 AM   #9
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

For me, it's hesalite all the way -- I have a 145.022 - 69 (220 dial) and recently gifted a new hesalite to my son (his first real watch), so I just went through comparing the two (sapphire vs. hesalite).

There's definitely the wear and tear issue (hesalite better for that in my opinion and as others have said), I also think the dome profile is much more appealing on the hesalite vs. the sapphire. There are some videos out there comparing the two -- search for them...
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 03:35 AM   #10
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

IMHO there is only one Speedmaster Professional model..and it has a solid caseback and a Hesalite crystal...

"This is my Omega Speedmaster...there are many like it but this one is mine"
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 04:46 AM   #11
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

1. Your wrist is perfect for the Speedy Pro...7” is not slender at all

2. You can’t go wrong with Hesalite or Sapphire. Based on your post, I recommend the sapphire sandwich...when you’re wearing it looks practically the same as the Hesalite (excepted for edge of the glass), and when you’re not wearing it, you can drool over the movement.

Best wishes!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 06:22 AM   #12
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
1. Your wrist is perfect for the Speedy Pro...7” is not slender at all

2. You can’t go wrong with Hesalite or Sapphire. Based on your post, I recommend the sapphire sandwich...when you’re wearing it looks practically the same as the Hesalite (excepted for edge of the glass), and when you’re not wearing it, you can drool over the movement.

Best wishes!
I second this!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 05:10 AM   #13
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Not too big for your wrist. I would say hesalite
GS: SBGP017; IWC: Big Pilot; Omega: PO diamond; RM: 67-02 (Green); Rolex: 16710, 16520, 116509 (TMOP), 116520, 5513, 1680, 16013 (Tiffany stamped), 116610LV, 124300 x 2 (Celebration; Green), 226570 (polar) Oyster Quartz; Tag: Monaco; VC: Patrimony!
rolexfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 07:12 AM   #14
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

If it's the history of the watch that is attracting you (it did me) then there is only a narrow range of Speedmasters to choose from. You can forget all the racing dials, 44mm xxxx side of the Moon ones and other fancy limited editions. Of course, once you get one, you might find there is more than the history that appeals to you.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 08:03 AM   #15
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Contact a good AD (PM me for leads, if you like) and make an offer to buy a new one for ~20% below MSRP (~$4,300). Alternatively, contact your favorite trusted seller from the classifieds here on TRF and pick one up for roughly the same price from one of them.

Buy the original model with the acrylic crystal. It looks dynamite, and it's the way the Speedmaster Pro was intended to be. Simply buff the crystal with Polywatch twice per year.

If possible, ask the seller to wind up the movement on the actual watch you will purchase and confirm that the crown winds smoothly without undue resistance or friction. Most wind easily and smoothly, but some are curiously too difficult to wind, and this ruins the experience of owning and wearing a Speedmaster Pro.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 09:58 AM   #16
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Contact a good AD (PM me for leads, if you like) and make an offer to buy a new one for ~20% below MSRP (~$4,300). Alternatively, contact your favorite trusted seller from the classifieds here on TRF and pick one up for roughly the same price from one of them.

Buy the original model with the acrylic crystal. It looks dynamite, and it's the way the Speedmaster Pro was intended to be. Simply buff the crystal with Polywatch twice per year.

If possible, ask the seller to wind up the movement on the actual watch you will purchase and confirm that the crown winds smoothly without undue resistance or friction. Most wind easily and smoothly, but some are curiously too difficult to wind, and this ruins the experience of owning and wearing a Speedmaster Pro.

Gorgeous picture!!! Where did you get that strap?

And thanks everyone for the advice. I'll try a different dealer and see if I can find one in stock.

-Dan
Old 12 October 2020, 07:09 AM   #17
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post
Gorgeous picture!!! Where did you get that strap?

And thanks everyone for the advice. I'll try a different dealer and see if I can find one in stock.

-Dan
Thanks Dan. I get lucky with the camera every now and then.

That's the strap and deployant clasp that Omega installs on the Speedmaster Pro if you buy the watch configured on a strap instead of a bracelet. I wear my watch on its bracelet in the summer and then switch to that strap right around this time of year, when the weather becomes cool and crisp here in The Great Lakes.

There is one more thing you might want to consider, which is a clasp upgrade that some of us have done. It's an Omega clasp used on the Planet Ocean and some other Omega diver's watches, and it has a sliding micro-adjusting mechanism inside of it, much like Rolex's Glidelock mechanism.

Here's a link to a thread discussing part numbers and prices as of a year or so ago. It seems like lately the parts are harder to buy, and the prices may have gone up, but some folks have still found cooperative Boutiques or ADs who helped with the conversion.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=584973
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 10:57 AM   #18
Oatmeal123
"TRF" Member

yeah! Mine is a challenge to wind - why is that?? I haven't heard any good reasoning behind it yet. It runs consistently 7 seconds too fast but is not magnetized.
Oatmeal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 11:32 AM   #19
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Can hold out for a 3861 movement

Old 11 October 2020, 01:33 PM   #20
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
My wrist is right about 7" as well. The two largest watches I own are my Aerospace and GMT-C. I've tried on the 44mm Coaxial Speedies, but they are just a little too hefty for my liking. The Moonwatch is smaller wearing than the GMT, but it is slightly thicker. The domed Hesalite crystal lets most sleeve cuffs slide over it easily.

Old 11 October 2020, 03:09 PM   #21
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

My wrist is a flat 6.75 inch and it wears perfectly for me.

In regard to the hesalite, I just don't think it's an issue and (in my opinion) it doesn't scratch as easy as people think. And besides, Polywatch exists to give it a clean up.

Like with all watches, there is a trade-off. The hesalite trade-off is obviously scratches and the solid caseback. But on the flip side you get a depth to the crystal that no other (and i do mean no other) watch available can replicate. There's a warmth to it that can't really be described. It also has the direct lineage to the original, and of course, it is the only one still certified by NASA.

The sapphire on the other hand might have the open caseback but I I find the crystal on the face to be cold and too flat. There's also the grey ring.

The answer to me is an obvious one - but there's no real wrong answer and we're privileged to have the two options.

If your heart pulls more for the hesalite - that's the one to go for. Good luck!!
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 10:31 PM   #22
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Speed Master is a great watch and in either variation you will have made a good choice. I prefer the sapphire and the open case back as I do not want to be bother with scratches and abrasions on the plastic crystal and I am not one to constantly have to clean up a watch or crystal. I would buy the watch pre-owned and on the bracelet with complete box and papers. Our Trusted Sellers usually have a few listed, DavidSW had one of each a few weeks ago, go to his web site and check it out. You have to act quickly on these as they are reasonably priced and popular and move quickly. The Speed Master is also a strap monster and can handle them all, alligator, calf, NATO or any other version you want. You will not have a problem with size as I found the 42 mm to wear average to small for the size. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 12:21 AM   #23
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
I have a 7 inch wrist, the Moonwatch is not too big on it.

Mine is the Hesalite version, which I prefer. It's my favorite watch.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 12:34 AM   #24
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Hesalite and manual wind

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 01:05 AM   #25
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/comparing-moonwatches

Old 12 October 2020, 01:13 AM   #26
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

I recently purchased a Speedy Pro hesalite and I love it so far. I always wanted a Speedy since I started collecting a few years ago but didn't have a chance to get one until now. So far the pros seem to outweigh the cons and I'm really enjoying how different it wears to my other watches.

I love how the hesalite makes the watch really fun to wear. The dome shape changes at different angles and it kind of gives off a "moon" vibe which is appropriate for a watch nicknamed "moon watch". It does swirl very easily and I already picked up a bunch in just 2 weeks of wearing it daily but hopefully it can be buffed out easily. I love the dial and the hands, it looks like an instrument cluster out of a spaceship. The chrono works well and so far I'm noticing it's running around -2 to -3 sec a day which is reasonable. But the watch looks very iconic and I like that it's not as ubiquitous as the Sub even though I'm sure there are just as many out there.

Now for the bad..I can't get a good fit with the bracelet. The bracelet itself is fine and I have no issues with it, but the clasp only has 2 micro adjustment holes so either it's super loose with 1 link in or a bit too tight with 1 link out. I had to buy a clasp from a different model with micro adjustments to finally get a decent fit but I'm not happy with the size of the gigantic clasp and having to pay almost $400 for it. But hey, at least Omega lets you purchase parts unlike Rolex so that's a good thing right? And since the Speedy looks good with almost any strap you throw on it, you have options.

The fit and finish of the watch is pretty good, not Rolex good but it definitely feels like a $5k watch. I have 6.5" wrists and it's borderline too big but with 7" wrists it should wear perfect. I would also skip out on the sapphire sandwich because it doesn't have that special feel that the hesalite has and it costs more. Overall I'm very happy with my Speedy and I would highly recommend it!
Old 13 October 2020, 12:23 AM   #27
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post

The fit and finish of the watch is pretty good, not Rolex good but it definitely feels like a $5k watch.
Can you explain what you mean by this please?

I have a Speedmaster and a few Rolex watches, and I can't see any great difference in fit and finish between the two makes.

If a Speedmaster feels like a $5k watch, what do Rolexs feel like?

Thanks.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 03:03 AM   #28
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
It won't be too big for your wrist. Try on both and make a decision. I would go with the original hesalite but certainly understand the need of a sapphire.

Why are they so discounted? Because there are a ton of them out there. Supply & demand. Pure & simple. Now you may wonder why there are so many out there? Well, Omega has made a ton of them through the years and it's arguably the most bought & sold watch in the world. I think the majority of people buy them, keep them for a year or two and then get tired of them.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 04:54 AM   #29
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

"The fit and finish of the watch is pretty good, not Rolex good"

I disagree with this statement...as it pertains to SS Rolex. I have a Speedy Pro (Hesalite)and a Rolex Sub, and I think if you handed them to a person who knew nothing about the brand names, they would think the Speedy was a higher quality watch..or at least equal
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 02:11 PM   #30
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Can you explain what you mean by this please?

I have a Speedmaster and a few Rolex watches, and I can't see any great difference in fit and finish between the two makes.

If a Speedmaster feels like a $5k watch, what do Rolexs feel like?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmaster 175 View Post
"The fit and finish of the watch is pretty good, not Rolex good"

I disagree with this statement...as it pertains to SS Rolex. I have a Speedy Pro (Hesalite)and a Rolex Sub, and I think if you handed them to a person who knew nothing about the brand names, they would think the Speedy was a higher quality watch..or at least equal
Let me explain. Yes, the fit and finish is good on the Speedy, almost comparable to Rolex, but Rolex has the advantage in craftsmanship, detail, and innovation. For example, first day I wore the speedy to work, I noticed that I could hear it ticking from my wrist when I'm on the keyboard. I don't remember my Rolex doing that and I can't hear it unless I put my ear to the watch. Not a big deal to me but a little surprising on a $5k watch.

Next is the bracelet. Comparing to the oyster bracelet with easy link, the Omega really falls short. The design is nice but there is no taper at the clasp so it feels and looks bulky. The clasp has 2 useless micro adjustments and with no option of half link your only option is to purchase a gigantic adjustable clasp for close to $400 (paid $385 at OB). The clasp is so heavy and bulky it throws off the balance of the bracelet but I have no choice because this is the only way for me to get it to fit my wrist. This is probably my one and only complaint about the Speedmaster. The Rolex Oyster bracelet on the other hand is a joy to wear. It tapers nicely from 20 to 16mm, and there's 3 micro adjustment points with easy link feature for further adjustments. And you get this even on the $5900 Oyster Perpetuals.

There's no denying that the Speedmaster looks cool as hell. That's the reason why I bought it and I love the fact that they kept it vintage looking with the steel bezel, hesalite, and the old school dial. But to me details matter and IMO Rolex wins this round too. Comparing the dial of the Speedy to the Daytona for example, there's way more detail in the Rolex. All the indices and hands used are of higher quality and the bezel markings are etched and not printed on. If you hold them in each hand you will be able to see the difference pretty quick.

So yes, there is nothing wrong with the fit and finish of the Speedmaster, but if you handed me a Daytona and Speedy and I knew nothing about watches, I'd guess the Daytona is the higher quality watch. Do I hate the Speedy then? Not at all, in fact quite the opposite. It's getting the most wrist time right now, I've been wearing it for 2 weeks straight and it's refreshing to take a break from Rolex. The speedy is a wonderful watch for its price point and that's why I bought it. And to get back to the OP's point of this thread, yes, you should definitely buy one!