The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 December 2021, 04:37 AM   #1
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Purchase history and submariner

Just wanted to get some opinions on here, so hope not to get berated for some simple opinions but just seeing what everyone thinks here given my own personal situation.. I have about a 25k purchase history with my AD just this year ( 2 Datejust and about 1.5k in jewelry for the fiancé) I've brought up my interest in a sub last time I was in picking up my DJ but was told they didn't do lists at their store but instead kept the people in mind they liked and who might have a milestone or life event coming up.. So I guess my question is do we think that's a friendly "never gonna happen" or should I just give it some more time.. I do have a birthday and my wedding in the spring which I told them about and was told they made a note on my account about my interest in a sub but wondering how much of it could be true.. FWIW, I do feel a particularly good connection with one of the SA's who helped me in getting my first DJ... What do we think ladies and gents?!
Watchesnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 05:00 AM   #2
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t spend any more money with that AD in hopes of getting a Sub. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t spend money with that AD - just on things that I already want, not as a precursor to potentially getting a Sub.
Old 18 December 2021, 06:22 AM   #3
noshame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
I wouldn’t spend any more money with that AD in hopes of getting a Sub. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t spend money with that AD - just on things that I already want, not as a precursor to potentially getting a Sub.
Agreed 100%. Curious, why didn't you use the same SA for your second DJ purchase? If you feel you have a good relationship with one SA, stick with them. I think 2 DJ purchases (assuming neither was the "harder to get" blue dial w/ batons), with the right SA, along with birthday and wedding coming up, is enough to to be allocated a Sub ... again, I'm assuming you mean the LN, not the LV. Good luck!
Old 18 December 2021, 06:24 AM   #4
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshame View Post
Agreed 100%. Curious, why didn't you use the same SA for your second DJ purchase? If you feel you have a good relationship with one SA, stick with them. I think 2 DJ purchases (assuming neither was the "harder to get" blue dial w/ batons), with the right SA, along with birthday and wedding coming up, is enough to to be allocated a Sub ... again, I'm assuming you mean the LN, not the LV. Good luck!
Yes definitely the LN although recently I’ve been more drawn to the 126613LN but not sure which one would be easier to get or if it even makes a difference. I do wear a lot of two tone jewelry and both DJ’s are two tone one all gold, the other ever rose and steel.. My wedding band is gold as well fwiw
Old 18 December 2021, 11:14 PM   #5
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
i wouldn’t spend any more money with that ad in hopes of getting a sub. That doesn’t mean i wouldn’t spend money with that ad - just on things that i already want, not as a precursor to potentially getting a sub.
+1
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 05:12 AM   #6
sj24k
"TRF" Member

i think you should just keep the good relationship going by checking in on occasion. decide how long you want to wait for the sub. if your impatience grows too much, just buy an unworn one from a trusted seller. that strategy has worked for me since day one of getting into this silly game.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 05:16 AM   #7
SaintMickey
Banned

Well your doing what you can so if they are honest your number will come up. But relationships trump spending IMHO and experience.

Not to keep repeating but I got a SubDate in June and another one 2 days ago for my 20 year old son. And a Datejust in between....all with no prior purchasing. Just good honest dialog and a relationship.

People want to sell to people THEY LIKE. Some spenders I bet are jerks...who'd want to do them a "favor"?
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 03:18 PM   #8
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Well your doing what you can so if they are honest your number will come up. But relationships trump spending IMHO and experience.

Not to keep repeating but I got a SubDate in June and another one 2 days ago for my 20 year old son. And a Datejust in between....all with no prior purchasing. Just good honest dialog and a relationship.

People want to sell to people THEY LIKE. Some spenders I bet are jerks...who'd want to do them a "favor"?

I agree. Relationship is number one. Ive been able to get watches not because of who i know but because of who i have been introduced to from other large clients. OP- Your spend seems very in line with what some ADs would see before they allocate a sub. I would go in again and be upfront. You would like a sub, is that something that they get make happen. It’s easy. You will know based on what they say if its going to happen. I would continue checking in and presenting your interest and at some point, i think you will get taken care of.

I can give you my own example. Local AD, bought a few pieces of jewelry and a Tudor for me. I wanted a Sub and was told no issue. Fast forward a year later, same story. Then its like we continue going in this circle and i realized, its not happening. I make a phone call to a buddy, he sets me up with a managing director of a boutique and i was wearing my sub 3 weeks later.

The part that always got to me, was i knew they had one. If i had been in 20 times or so ( its very local and near somewhere i frequent) they absolutely had one in the safe that i could have bought. They had just decided to let someone else buy it. I love the guys at the local ad, we talk watches when i am around and they are really great. But, my spending there is done. I buy everything from the boutique now. I have a fairly large jewelry purchase coming up and ill be buying it elsewhere because they have not taken care of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 03:28 PM   #9
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I agree. Relationship is number one. Ive been able to get watches not because of who i know but because of who i have been introduced to from other large clients. OP- Your spend seems very in line with what some ADs would see before they allocate a sub. I would go in again and be upfront. You would like a sub, is that something that they get make happen. It’s easy. You will know based on what they say if its going to happen. I would continue checking in and presenting your interest and at some point, i think you will get taken care of.

I can give you my own example. Local AD, bought a few pieces of jewelry and a Tudor for me. I wanted a Sub and was told no issue. Fast forward a year later, same story. Then its like we continue going in this circle and i realized, its not happening. I make a phone call to a buddy, he sets me up with a managing director of a boutique and i was wearing my sub 3 weeks later.

The part that always got to me, was i knew they had one. If i had been in 20 times or so ( its very local and near somewhere i frequent) they absolutely had one in the safe that i could have bought. They had just decided to let someone else buy it. I love the guys at the local ad, we talk watches when i am around and they are really great. But, my spending there is done. I buy everything from the boutique now. I have a fairly large jewelry purchase coming up and ill be buying it elsewhere because they have not taken care of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you guys for all the lovely responses… I really do appreciate everyone’s input and experiences shared… We can only learn by paying it forward and I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t thinking out of line or being the annoying guy asking for the same thing everyone else is (which is the case to be fair) but I just got bit by the bug in the past year and a half (worst timings obviously) but a sub under the Cabo sunset with my wife would be quite amazing.. Just saying.. Put it all into the atmosphere at this point…
Old 18 December 2021, 05:58 AM   #10
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
IMO they are being transparent and have literally told you what to do to get one. Tell them about a milestone next year (edit: I see you already have) and pop in a couple times between now and then and be friendly. I bet a sub will appear sooner than you think.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 06:07 AM   #11
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Huh. I never thought about that before. I'll tell my AD that I have a birthday next year!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 06:18 AM   #12
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Huh. I never thought about that before. I'll tell my AD that I have a birthday next year!
Sounds simpleton but part of having a "relationship" is real stories, anniversaries, weddings, special occasions. Repeating AD's are people too, contrary to some here's thoughts, and want to sell to people they "like".

I have no doubt I got mine for my son for that exact reason.

They knew the story about him getting signed to play NCAA college baseball and..."I got a Sub in...are you still interested in getting that Sub for your son- "son's name". They were genuinely pleased and said "he is going to love it...what a dad you are".
Old 18 December 2021, 06:22 AM   #13
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sounds simpleton but part of having a "relationship" is real stories, anniversaries, weddings, special occasions. Repeating AD's are people too, contrary to some here's thoughts, and want to sell to people they "like".

I have no doubt I got mine for my son for that exact reason.

They knew the story about him getting signed to play NCAA college baseball and..."I got a Sub in...are you still interested in getting that Sub for your son- "son's name". They were genuinely pleased and said "he is going to love it...what a dad you are".
Congrats about your son btw! That’s amazing… Well to top off milestones my birthday and wedding fall within a week of each other so we shall see if they come thru in time for the big day… Fingers crossed… Either way I’ll be more than happy to take either one of the DJ’s on the honeymoon but was really hoping to take the sportier sub ;)
Old 18 December 2021, 06:25 AM   #14
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchesnguitars View Post
Congrats about your son btw! That’s amazing… Well to top off milestones my birthday and wedding fall within a week of each other so we shall see if they come thru in time for the big day… Fingers crossed… Either way I’ll be more than happy to take either one of the DJ’s on the honeymoon but was really hoping to take the sportier sub ;)
Thanks! I told him I want a white gold Daytona and a 911...so now go get signed by the MLB. LOL
There is always pay back! But seriously he saves me more than the cost of a Submariner with both academic scholarship and "baseball money" in one year.
Old 18 December 2021, 06:27 AM   #15
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! I told him I want a white gold Daytona and a 911...so now go get signed by the MLB. LOL
Hey man anything’s possible… I don’t know you or your son but I’m rooting for you guys on all levels… keep us posted!
Old 18 December 2021, 06:19 AM   #16
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the great responses… To be honest, everything I have bought from this AD I have actually wanted or wanted for my lady so I figured it was a win win… I def have I guess somewhat of a mental timeline of anytime within the next year and if it doesn’t happen I have another trusted grey in my city I’ve dealt with for other major jewelers purchases and really trust him. I don’t even mind spending above retail but I love the experience and the thought of being the only owner as I’m buying to build a collection and hopefully one day pass down to my kids…
Old 18 December 2021, 06:21 AM   #17
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all the great responses… To be honest, everything I have bought from this AD I have actually wanted or wanted for my lady so I figured it was a win win… I def have I guess somewhat of a mental timeline of anytime within the next year and if it doesn’t happen I have another trusted grey in my city I’ve dealt with for other major jewelers purchases and really trust him. I don’t even mind spending above retail but I love the experience and the thought of being the only owner as I’m buying to build a collection and hopefully one day pass down to my kids…
That year will cost you though...have an honest discussion with them and if you don't think it looks good bite the bullet and buy one IMHO. That is if you want it that bad...oh and have the money.

I've never wanted anything over MSRP. I remember when Miatas came out in like 1989 a buddy of mine paid 8k over retail from a dealer b/c they were so hot...big dummy.
Old 18 December 2021, 06:22 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My guess is that they’ll come through for you
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 08:40 AM   #19
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My guess is that they’ll come through for you
Agree, decent annual purchase history
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 06:29 AM   #20
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
I called an AD on a Tuesday, across state and asked about a Sub.

Zero history, just some random on the phone.

Drove to get it the next day.

I'd buy something else if I had to spend X to be able to have the privilege to buy a $8k watch.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 06:51 AM   #21
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
I called an AD on a Tuesday, across state and asked about a Sub.

Zero history, just some random on the phone.

Drove to get it the next day.

I'd buy something else if I had to spend X to be able to have the privilege to buy a $8k watch.
Wow, now that’s some real luck… Was it a smaller market city?
Old 18 December 2021, 06:58 AM   #22
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Just wanted to get some opinions on here, so hope not to get berated for some simple opinions but just seeing what everyone thinks here given my own personal situation.. I have about a 25k purchase history with my AD just this year ( 2 Datejust and about 1.5k in jewelry for the fiancé) I've brought up my interest in a sub last time I was in picking up my DJ but was told they didn't do lists at their store but instead kept the people in mind they liked and who might have a milestone or life event coming up.. So I guess my question is do we think that's a friendly "never gonna happen" or should I just give it some more time.. I do have a birthday and my wedding in the spring which I told them about and was told they made a note on my account about my interest in a sub but wondering how much of it could be true.. FWIW, I do feel a particularly good connection with one of the SA's who helped me in getting my first DJ... What do we think ladies and gents?!
This is better than the dreaded list.

I think he’ll come through for you. Just stay in touch with him.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 07:34 AM   #23
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

I think if your finance was to come in with you. And you genuinely want the sub for your wedding they would come through for you.

Drop in every so often to stay “in mind”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 07:50 AM   #24
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
I think if your finance was to come in with you. And you genuinely want the sub for your wedding they would come through for you.

Drop in every so often to stay “in mind”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She’s been in twice with me once when I picked up and another time while placing an order…
Old 18 December 2021, 08:00 AM   #25
Gobee
"TRF" Member

You will probably get it. Maybe when the date comes closer... drop by in person to tell that you would like to remember this occasion with the sub.
Gobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 08:05 AM   #26
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

In my experience relationships are what matter and life events do make a difference. It sounds as though your SA is sincere and I believe you will be a proud new owner of a SubC in time for your wedding…congratulations by the way!!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 09:38 AM   #27
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
In my experience relationships are what matter and life events do make a difference. It sounds as though your SA is sincere and I believe you will be a proud new owner of a SubC in time for your wedding…congratulations by the way!!
Thank you!!
Old 18 December 2021, 09:46 AM   #28
SaintMickey
Banned

Icon3

Quote:
Thank you!!
If not I'll give you mine as a wedding present.
Old 18 December 2021, 11:32 AM   #29
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If not I'll give you mine as a wedding present.

Wait I thought I was first in line
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 10:05 AM   #30
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
As others have already pointed out, I'd focus heavily on the upcoming wedding behind the reason for the sub purchase. Obviously, you'll have to be tactful about it and avoid being annoying. But, from my experience, that's your golden ticket to getting a sub at retail.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote