The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 May 2022, 08:34 PM   #1
Meg007
"TRF" Member

Watch protection coating????

Morning all

This may have been asked before so sorry to start if so. I keep seeing adverts for a silicone spray/protect product. Any members used something along the lines of this product??? Any other options??? I have a GMT on the oyster strap.

Cheers

Meg
Meg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 08:42 PM   #2
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
No spray will prevent damage to your watch. It's all down to the user. I regularly clean my watch, usually taking it into the shower with me. If I'm somewhere hot and sweaty, this will be usually everyday.

Now and again, I will grab some spray on car wax type stuff (from my collection of car detailing stuff) and spritz and wipe off (only on the metal and crystal, never on leather or rubber parts). Doesn't protect the watch but gives it a nice clean sheen, as it does on car paintwork. Also helps to keep the watch cleaner, as the dirt won't stick, aiding to easier routine cleaning.
Old 3 May 2022, 08:51 PM   #3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
when I bought this in 1985 there were no stickers, watch protectors, or forums, so I have been using spit and my shirt sleeve for the past 37 years and it seems to be holding up just fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0217.jpeg (39.0 KB, 696 views)
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 09:48 PM   #4
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
when I bought this in 1985 there were no stickers, watch protectors, or forums, so I have been using spit and my shirt sleeve for the past 37 years and it seems to be holding up just fine
Yep this right here. Then maybe, just maybe every 15 yrs or so send it back to RSC and get one back as good as new.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 07:10 AM   #5
twalt77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post

Spits out coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twalt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 08:50 PM   #6
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg007 View Post
Morning all

This may have been asked before so sorry to start if so. I keep seeing adverts for a silicone spray/protect product. Any members used something along the lines of this product??? Any other options??? I have a GMT on the oyster strap.

Cheers

Meg
Safe deposit boxes are the best place for these insanely expensive watches……
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 09:06 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Morning all

Cheers

Meg
What do you want a silicone spray to do? Make the watch slippery?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 09:08 PM   #8
fnfiveseven
"TRF" Member

Try expansion foam spray around the watch.
Watch hasn't been scratched a millimetre after using these bad boys.
fnfiveseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 09:29 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Just wear it mindfully, or put a sticker on the clasp if you really want to, but spraying it with any kind of coating is just all kinds of wrong.
Old 3 May 2022, 09:44 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Been wearing Rolex watches for well over 50 years some were used as real working tools with hundreds of hours underwater, yet never felt the need for special sprays or any of todays Rolex toys. Don't know why some today buy Rolex watches which are one of the toughest made reliable watches and made from the toughest material's made by man,but today in general they get a very over pampered life.

All information supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, without the aid of loupes,nicknames, timegraphers, alignment points, protective film/sprays,AD relationship building, investment £$€ stuff, special cleaning cloths, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 09:47 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Enjoy your watch Meg
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 11:08 PM   #12
DubOhio
"TRF" Member

Meg,

I’m sorry about all the replies that aren’t very helpful but that seems to be about standard for this forum.

While I haven’t tried the sprays I have tried the sticker kits which seem to work out pretty well. It’s your watch, and just like all the post above do what you want with yours. Here’s a post with my watch that has the sticker kit installed.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=852751
DubOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 03:43 AM   #13
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
I agree with PADI on no spray "needed" but another enthusiast showed me how he applied silicone car wax (spray) to his ROLEX and it really made it look new.

So on my 18238, I used a very small amount on a rag to apply, and similar rag to "buff" off the residue, and the result was pretty impressive.

And like PADI, I have been wearing my Rolex watches for 50 years, and their "tool" functionality for me is the most important, not the jewelry bling factor, however, that "President" bracelet really looks damn good with a little wax on it !

I think it helps the excess paint residue just wash off when I am finished painting the house with it on my wrist !!

: ))
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 04:21 AM   #14
marmite2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: Slim wrist master
Clear Nail varnish on the clasp can stop micro scratches.
marmite2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 04:25 AM   #15
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

How about following Rolex guidance?

“DAY-TO-DAY CARE

Thanks to Rolex expertise, your watch will require very little day-to-day care. You can help preserve its lustre by cleaning it occasionally with a microfibre cloth. You can also wash the case and bracelet from time to time using soapy water and a soft brush. Before cleaning your watch, always ensure that the winding crown is screwed down properly against the case to guarantee waterproofness.”

https://www.rolex.com/watch-care-and...%2525A4%25258A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 04:38 AM   #16
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
I don't really see how a silicone-based spray can protect anything on your watch.

Any hardening product that you use will scratch or dent as readily, or more, than the watch itself, not to mention build up residue, so this too doesn't seem like a practical approach.

Common sense and basic care are likely your best protection.
Old 4 May 2022, 06:42 AM   #17
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Has anyone used Renaissance wax?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 06:54 AM   #18
Reeser
"TRF" Member

Hi meg, I would personally avoid using a “spray on liquid skin kit” maybe try out the ppf protection kits which are almost invisible to the naked eye and keep the look of the watch well.
The watch protection company in uk do kits, full kit is £100 off hand.
Hope this helps.
Either way enjoy your watch in good health ����
Reeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 07:26 AM   #19
RUSH2689
"TRF" Member

Watch: Recon
Unsafe for earthly conditions. Please send to me for proper disposal
RUSH2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 07:53 AM   #20
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

I think the disconnect between old timers and people now is that Rolexes were still fairly affordable tool watches then and now they're 5 figure status symbols.

My impression is that a lot of people also didn't really know how to take care of their watches in the past. Just look at all the gold Day Dates and Datejusts that have been polished so much they look practically melted.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 08:35 AM   #21
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
I think the disconnect between old timers and people now is that Rolexes were still fairly affordable tool watches then and now they're 5 figure status symbols.

My impression is that a lot of people also didn't really know how to take care of their watches in the past. Just look at all the gold Day Dates and Datejusts that have been polished so much they look practically melted.

Have to agree there is a disparity in cost of entry nowadays vs then. Back then though, people just bought these things to wear, so polishing for instance didn’t much register on the radar for devaluation because there wasn’t much intent to sell.

I think there is an argument to keep crazy expensive jewelry in as best condition as possible…but there is a fine line between wanting to keep your things nice and not really enjoying them because it triggers OCD tendencies due to the amount of money invested….cue the “if you are worried about scratching it you can’t afford it” conversation.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 05:40 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Rolex watches have always been expensive to buy,I remember my father taking on two jobs and saving for almost 5 years to buy his first Rolex.And can assure its far easier to buy a Rolex watch today even at grey prices than it was saving and buying a Rolex decades ago.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 09:30 PM   #23
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:

I agree with the other comment that Rolex's have always been expensive in comparison to other watches. But in all seriousness, my advice is to just enjoy the watch as someone said the watches are very robust and well made and can take abuse, so a little ding or scratch is really no big deal (trust me nobody will notice but you, out of the hundreds of compliments I have gotten on my Sub, I've never heard nice watch except for that small scratch on the bracelet). Its like buying an expensive car and being afraid to drive it, park it, or drive in the rain, is that really enjoying it? I'd rather be the guy with a few chips on the paint blasting along on the back roads with the pedal to the metal
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 09:48 PM   #24
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
It always baffles me when someone buys a highly polished piece of jewelry and then wants to wear it like a real tool watch, Only to complain when it gets a scratch.

Jewelry is to be worn on special occasions in a safe "low risk for scratches" environment if one wants to preserve the luster. Otherwise it's your fault for buying such a watch, wearing it to work or playing sports etc. and expecting it not to get beat up. Leave that for brushed, tough 316L tool watches.

you will be much happier in the end. If you do decide to wear your jewelry piece out in the wild, don't whine because it gets scratched. You control where it's worn.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 08:08 AM   #25
Farsh14
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Green Sub
Don’t do anything beyond just wearing it and being careful in tight corners. Also if I know I’m going to do something that has a high probability of damaging my watch, which is a rarer occasion, I just take it off. Also don’t wear it to the gym or other places where it just looks silly on the wrist.

Like others said just enjoy it and if you’re careful you’ll never have more than just a few little tiny scratches along the way that always just blend in over time
Farsh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 08:35 AM   #26
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
"Any other options?"

Yes, wear it like its a watch and then send it in for service and a polish when needed.
Old 4 May 2022, 08:48 AM   #27
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Cue “grandma’s couch” thread.
Old 4 May 2022, 09:45 AM   #28
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Cue “grandma’s couch” thread.

plasticsofa.png