The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 July 2009, 11:08 AM   #1
AndreiRublyov

Watch: T.H. Aquaracer II
I don't like Patek Philippe's slogan

While I am a keen admirerer of the watches that Patek Philippe craft (some of the most beautiful watches ever to see the light of day), I can't help but feel frustrated by their famous slogan "You never actually own a Patek Philippe, you merely look after it for the next generation". Sure, most people recognize it so seen from that perspective it does its job. However, it is of my persuasion that once I purchase a watch of this calibre, it is mine to keep. It is in my possession, meaning that I can do whatever I want with it. I can smash it with a hammer, throw it in a lake or give it to a random stranger. It is MY watch, I'm not just a temporary keeper of it.

How do you feel about it?
AndreiRublyov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2009, 11:22 AM   #2
jas55
"TRF" Member

Agreed, you are free to do what ever you like with your watch.

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
jas55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2009, 11:24 AM   #3
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
if you buy it, its yours to do with as you like, but i think their point is that as long as its looked after properly, its likely that it will out live the original owner. Given the cost of their watches its not likely there will be much smashing going on, but that would certainly be your right
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2009, 12:13 PM   #4
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
They are simply trying the convey the point that if the price makes you blink remember that it"s not a watch, but the start of a family heirloom. You may not like it, but the market research and reality have proven it a VERY effective approach. You think they run it mainstream mags, because it doesn't work?
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
The thing that i don't understand is that people say they're like heirlooms or such, but in reality Patek prices aren't that great to start with and they tend to go downwards over the years, you look at the Patek watches from the 70s and 80s and you see that they're all being sold pretty cheap compared to todays prices.

The other thing for me, heirlooms are usually something special, it's a bit pretentious of Patek to say that the watch will be special, for me an heirloom is something that has meaning, not just a luxury item that cost a fortune.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2009, 02:51 AM   #6
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
The other thing for me, heirlooms are usually something special, it's a bit pretentious of Patek to say that the watch will be special, for me an heirloom is something that has meaning, not just a luxury item that cost a fortune.
Yes, but now you're confusing what's right with what works. Many people want to buy PP, and PP creates an environment where they can reconcile the expense in their heads.

As others have said, all the brands seek a niche. You think Rolex is targeting yacht racers and polo players? Nope, but lots of people want to wear what yacht racers wear, etc.
Old 15 July 2009, 08:48 AM   #7
peppermannen
"TRF" Member

Watch: me now!
Quote:
The thing that i don't understand is that people say they're like heirlooms or such, but in reality Patek prices aren't that great to start with and they tend to go downwards over the years, you look at the Patek watches from the 70s and 80s and you see that they're all being sold pretty cheap compared to todays prices.

What could be more special than an expensive luxury item? One that you might never be able to buy with your own money, and which holds it's value or increases over the years? I really don't know what you mean by "something that has meaning". I got a 1977 Rolex Submariner 5513 from my father, and it's probably the one thing I'd never part with. All my other watches or other things, I couldn't care less about....that's "having meaning", to me anyway.

Petter
peppermannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2009, 10:21 AM   #8
BigHat
Banned

No Patek from my Dad. What my four siblings and I did get was food, shelter, a strong moral compass. love, and a college education. Let's keep this all in perspective.

Thanks to my Dad's personal sacrifices I may be able to leave an "heirloom" or two. It's certainly no more important than my memories of my Dad, but Patek has managed to touch the hearts of the affluent that just might buy a PP over a VC or Lange because of this ad strategy. I think this a very good ad campaign. Those that know really study watches understand the reality among the brands, but ads are all about sales.
Old 8 July 2009, 07:52 PM   #9
chu88y
Banned

Watch: SDDS
lifes too short to concern myself with this
chu88y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2009, 08:58 PM   #10
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Some makers (e.g. IWC) sell 'Father & Son' watch sets, so they are working another angle on the generations theme.

Have you come up with an alternative slogan for PP?

Cheers
Old 8 July 2009, 11:11 PM   #11
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Some makers (e.g. IWC) sell 'Father & Son' watch sets, so they are working another angle on the generations theme.

Have you come up with an alternative slogan for PP?

Cheers

Patek are the pinnacle of the watch world, they shouldn't need slogans, their quality, workmanship and history is well known by anyone who would consider buying one. So why do they even require a slogan, for me that's something ad agencies and marketing companies bring in, but with Patek it's all about history and quality, not new age ad man mumbo jumbo.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2009, 02:39 AM   #12
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Patek are the pinnacle of the watch world, they shouldn't need slogans, their quality, workmanship and history is well known by anyone who would consider buying one. So why do they even require a slogan, for me that's something ad agencies and marketing companies bring in, but with Patek it's all about history and quality, not new age ad man mumbo jumbo.
Many people are not familiar with Patek, and a successful company sells passion, not product.

Patek is appealing to the sensibilities of a person to whom heritage and provenance is of significance. Matt said it well. You're buying an heirloom, something that has lasting value for those you cherish most. It's highly effective.
Old 8 July 2009, 10:25 PM   #13
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Come on, Oligarch, I mean Andrei,
It's just a catchy slogan. They mean its such a well made watch that it will last for many generations, you are taking it way too literally.
If Pateks weren't that small on the wrist, i'd buy a couple more. Now I'd rather own panerai
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2009, 10:40 PM   #14
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
PP's ad campaign is all about the snob appeal. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Rolex has used it to great effect.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2009, 10:49 PM   #15
migboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiRublyov View Post
It is in my possession, meaning that I can do whatever I want with it. I can smash it with a hammer, throw it in a lake or give it to a random stranger. It is MY watch, I'm not just a temporary keeper of it.

How do you feel about it?
feisty....

we'll i think it's a very good line for the wifey when we need a new fix
migboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2009, 10:59 PM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
You can't take it with you. That is what makes it "temporary"

I own my father's Omega and my grandfather's Howard pocketwatch. Both were theirs, both passed to another generation.

I like their slogan.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2009, 03:40 AM   #17
AndreiRublyov

Watch: T.H. Aquaracer II
As most user's have pointed out, the slogan is basically saying that he quality of the watch is excellent so when looked after properly it will last a very long time indeed.

However, althought they might not mean it in a literal sense, the fact that they claim that you never actually own one of their watches does still upset me. I realise I shouldn't put too much time into this, but I can't help but feel a tad frustrated. If I were to purchase one, it is my watch. No one else's.
AndreiRublyov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2009, 04:37 AM   #18
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiRublyov View Post
As most user's have pointed out, the slogan is basically saying that he quality of the watch is excellent so when looked after properly it will last a very long time indeed.

However, althought they might not mean it in a literal sense, the fact that they claim that you never actually own one of their watches does still upset me. I realise I shouldn't put too much time into this, but I can't help but feel a tad frustrated. If I were to purchase one, it is my watch. No one else's.
I guess if you have kids it makes sense, because it's all going to be theirs one day.
Old 9 July 2009, 11:06 PM   #19
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
I guess if you have kids it makes sense, because it's all going to be theirs one day.
...but I've specified that I am to be buried with mine on.......

Cheers
Old 9 July 2009, 04:13 AM   #20
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
actually, i'd call it truth in advertising.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2009, 05:43 AM   #21
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

The slogan does have a bit if the "you're going to die my friend" about it.
Old 9 July 2009, 05:47 AM   #22
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Some good comments there, guys.

I quite like the slogan. It belches out class and class it is about a product that's just that!!

PP's are not for everyone......so the discerning few who do "own" them can then pass them onto the next generation.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2009, 07:30 AM   #23
doghouse

Watch: submariner
I can live with the slogan, it's the girlymen in the picture that makes me laugh.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2009, 03:15 PM   #24
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post

I quite like the slogan. It belches out class and class it is about a product that's just that!!

PP's are not for everyone......so the discerning few who do "own" them can then pass them onto the next generation.

JJ
+1 and this says it all for me:

And while I don't own a PP YET, this video compelled me to buy my Explorer II with the main intent to pass on to MY son.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2009, 05:39 PM   #25
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Excellent video, David. Thanks for posting......just about sums it all up!!!

Guys, if you can spare about 10 minutes, this one's worth a look!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 06:02 PM   #26
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Quote:

JJ
I fully endorse JJ's comments.

The video that David has included just about sums up, to me what passing on a watch to another generation is all about.
If you are as passionate about beautiful timepieces as I am then you can't fail to be impressed by the video.

Somebody mentioned about the prices, of some Patek's that were made in the 70's not selling for so much , which like every other manufacturer is quite true.
But also many other of the Patek range, such as the 2499 sell at auction for many hundreds of thousands of pounds.
Old 25 July 2009, 05:50 AM   #27
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:

JJ

I also have to FULLY agree 1000% with the above post. Patek Philippe makes roughly ONLY 20,000 watches a year, it is very high end and exclusive. As a watch collector now getting started out can totally understand and relate to that slogan. Every single watch I buy will be passed onto the next generation, infact i'm trying to start a family traditon so this slogan makes perfece sense to me and see no problems with it, at all That being said, the watch is yours when you wear it, can do as you like with it and would obviously send it in for a service before passing it onto the next generation, so it is fine I think
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 05:41 AM   #28
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
Its the BEST promo line of all the watch brands. Watches measure time and are about the passage of time, and the perfect watch is timeless and durable in looks and performance. Its the sole reason why I know and have a vague interest in wanting a Patek Phillippe -- and I am not at all familiar with their actual watches.
Planet Ocean 215.30.40.20.03.002; Zenith Chronomaster Original 03.3200.3600/22.M3200.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 05:57 AM   #29
xgrassm
"TRF" Member

with patek u're not buying just a wacth your building a legacy
xgrassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 11:40 AM   #30
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
It's entirely up to the individual whether they'd like to be influenced by a slogan or not. At the end of the day, Patek's are just another brand, and many of their items, I simply do not like. The ones I do, I own. They're for me. To hell with their slogan.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote