The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2023, 10:07 AM   #1
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

New member and question..

First off, very excited to have found this forum, wish I would have known about this before I purchased my Rolex Daytona two days ago. Instead, I had three sleepless nights watching YouTube videos trying to learn how to spot a fake. I ended up buying this..a 1995 reference 16523..this has box, insurance appraisal but no papers. Bought it from a jewelry shop in Houston with very good google reviews. Combined with that, and my crash course from YouTube , I thought I would be safe from any nightmare scenario. I inspected the watch, and tested the chronometer , but did not remove the back case. After a 7 hour drive and getting back home, I have discovered that the chronograph isn’t working properly. Though I tested it at the store, I have found that after exactly 58 seconds, the stopwatch (long dial that is ordinarily the second hand on most watches) completely stops. It will then reset back to the 12 position..once I depress the top button after it stops..and then subsequently press the bottom reset button. And during the 58 seconds all functions seem to work..I can “stop” and “restart” fine..but then at that 58 second mark, it completely stops again. Called the business today and they want me to bring it back and they will get it serviced and then send back to me. They will not compensate me for $50 gas and repeat 7 hour drive..and they won’t give me timeframe as to how long they will keep the watch (and my money obviously). I am beyond frustrated. Can anyone please tell me if the issue I have described does not mean this watch is 100% fake? In other words, could this be issue for a legit Daytona of this era? I’m just weighing on whether I should ask for a refund? Any advice or comments are welcome , and I apologize for my first ever post to be rambling and so long.
Mcenroe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 10:31 AM   #2
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
I’m no expert but I would say ask for a refund and start with 1 of the many trusted sellers here on the forum.
14 hours in the car, them not offering to reimburse you for the gas alone would be reason enough for me to tell them to pound sand and give me my money back.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 8 April 2023, 10:54 AM   #3
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstar View Post
I’m no expert but I would say ask for a refund and start with 1 of the many trusted sellers here on the forum.
14 hours in the car, them not offering to reimburse you for the gas alone would be reason enough for me to tell them to pound sand and give me my money back.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for your response ..much appreciated. I just read the receipt and it clearly states..”all sales are final, exchange only”. I feel so stupid I did this! They do have many other Rolexes and some with all books and records , but the only other Daytona they have would cost me an additional $7k. Not sure whether to make a huge fuss over this and risk them not even doing the service? It does say on receipt that if watch is proven not authentic I will get full refund. Ugh. Just totally frustrated with mostly myself .
Old 8 April 2023, 10:55 AM   #4
pa1113
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah, ask for a refund and move on. Too much smoke IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pa1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 10:59 AM   #5
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

It all depends on whether you trust the shop to fix it, even though they didn't catch it before they sold it to you.
I wouldn't be convinced.
Ask for a refund, or ask them to pay for a RSC service.

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 11:01 AM   #6
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Get your money back and start over..
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 11:06 AM   #7
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Sorry if this is a repeat reply ..still trying to learn how to post here. I read on the receipt this evening ..it clearly says “all sales are final exchange only unless watch is proven to be not authentic, only then customer gets full refund” . I feel like such an idiot over this!! They have one other Daytona with papers on this one but it would cost me an additional 7k which is out of my budget. They have other Rolexes as well..some with papers but doesn’t help me in this situation. Wondering whether I should stop being polite after my 3 1/2 hour drive tomorrow ? Or just stay calm and not risk losing the offer to repair? Ugh.
Old 8 April 2023, 11:07 AM   #8
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Go the the seller, Johnny Mac style, and say "You cannot be serious!"

If you used a credit card, initiate a charge back.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 05:38 AM   #9
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai View Post
Go the the seller, Johnny Mac style, and say "You cannot be serious!"

If you used a credit card, initiate a charge back.
LOL, I think the credit card route is a good idea.

Rolex1982 has given sound advice as well.

Let us know how it works out, pulling for you!
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 11:09 AM   #10
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
I had a similar issue with a watch from auction, stopping at 57-58 seconds. It was a massive headache to fix, but also a complicated watch, so that was a factor. On to yours, no doubt I would ask for a refund, find another one. Let them fix it and sell to someone else.
JJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 11:18 AM   #11
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Refund?

Nobody is going to ask the original poster if they offer a refund within a certain time frame? Ok I will. Do they offer a refund at this store?
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 11:30 AM   #12
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Sorry if this is repeat response again ..I’ve tried now to post and it’s not showing up ..
Found out this eve it states on receipt “no refunds all sales final exchanges only. They do offer a full refund if watch is proven as a fake.
Old 8 April 2023, 11:32 AM   #13
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

They have one other Daytona in shop, with papers but it’s out of my budget.. now just wondering if I should continue to be polite after my 3 1/2 hour drive ? Feel like an idiot this eve..just a gut punch feeling .
Old 8 April 2023, 11:38 AM   #14
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

How far are you from Dallas?
Tell the shop you'd like the Rolex Service Center in Dallas to take a look at the watch, and provide you with an estimate for repair, or if it is in fact fake!!

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 12:04 PM   #15
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

I will ask. I’m about 4 hours from DFW..with all the driving I’m doing I wouldn’t mind doing more to get proper service and answers. My mind is going everywhere this eve. What if shop finds out it’s very complicated and expensive to repair and then sends me back a replica? If this isn’t one already. I’ve lost ALL trust in them when they refused to compensate me for drive back tomorrow . How is this MY fault, other than the obvious stupidity of going there in the first place?
Old 13 April 2023, 07:06 PM   #16
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcenroe7 View Post
I will ask. I’m about 4 hours from DFW..with all the driving I’m doing I wouldn’t mind doing more to get proper service and answers. My mind is going everywhere this eve. What if shop finds out it’s very complicated and expensive to repair and then sends me back a replica? If this isn’t one already. I’ve lost ALL trust in them when they refused to compensate me for drive back tomorrow . How is this MY fault, other than the obvious stupidity of going there in the first place?
Anytime I buy a used watch I assume it needs a service. I would just take it to the RSC in Dallas. Who knows what or where the jeweler will send it to. Save yourself the time and piece of mind and just take it to Rolex yourself as you will know they will do it right.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 12:20 PM   #17
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

Sleep deprivation and too many what-ifs are not helpful, whatever fate holds. Try to think one step at a time. My first approach would be to say to them that you understand your policy is no refunds, but this puts me in a difficult position, and I wonder if there is any room to make an exception (even if there is some nonsense restocking fee)? If not, at least you have that information and determine your next step.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 01:21 PM   #18
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

First of all a daytona is great and get some pics posted for us. Drop it with the gas and time, enjoy the adventure. Go back, be nice and see what they say. If you want a refund ask for one. Worst case you have a delay as you wait for the watch and you are going to be annoyed but okay. I would be shocked you'd get a replica back. Make sure you know your serial number if you are concerned. These are complex purchases, money, mystery, and sometimes they don't work. You should enter this knowing that watch probably won't be going to Rolex. The service starts at $1250 and I'd be surprised they would spend their profit on it. My guess is you paid about 15 or 16k.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 01:25 PM   #19
Law52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmmm
Where are you located in Texas?
Law52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 01:40 PM   #20
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Hutch 300, you are correct on the price. My first ever Rolex. Quick backstory..my father was a watch collector, he used to take me to jewelry stores all the time as a kid and I would just stand there and wait for him to be done and then he’d take me for ice cream ..knowing that I didn’t really enjoy being in the stores ! One day, he found a Daytona which was his dream watch. It was $7500; and he was wasn’t used to spending that much. We left and the next morning he decided to get it..we returned and it was gone. I had rarely seen him so sad..didn’t talk much the rest of the day. He never did get a Daytona ..and passed away in 2015 at age 82. I just had a wild hair this last Monday that it would be cool if I could get one .:.maybe he would be happy about that if he’s watching somehow ? I am not super wealthy so couldn’t afford a more expensive one that perhaps had the proper documentation…my hope on the purchase was that this works and is not a fake. Anyway…I just got a message from the employee there that they will pay my $50 gas tomorrow so that’s nice and a good gesture. Wish they could have said that upfront instead of refusing.
Old 8 April 2023, 01:48 PM   #21
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

You are correct on the price. A little backstory on this when I was a kid. I always remember my dad taking me into jewelry stores. He was a Watch collector, and as I was standing around bored, he would always take me to ice cream when we were done because he knew I didn’t enjoy it, one day he saw a Rolex Daytona for $7500. He had never spent that much on a watch and so he told the person he would think about it the next day we went back and it was gone. I had never seen him so sad he tried to hide his disappointment, but he hardly spoke the rest of the day , this was when I was about 12 years old and doing research on the Daytonas. It was probably a pretty valuable one that he missed out on. He passed away in 2015 and never did get a Daytona this last Monday. I just had a wild thought that it would be sort of cool to get one myself , and perhaps if he was watching, somehow he could be smiling or perhaps, even laughing that I even have an interest in watches. All I wanted this week was the get one that was working properly and was not a fake. My budget could only afford the least expensive model out there , anyway some good news this evening is I did hear back from the shop and they are going to pay my $50 gas tomorrow. I wish they would’ve said this upfront instead of declining that but it is a good gesture and makes me feel a bit better as far as the other question I am located in New Braunfels Texas .

Last edited by Mcenroe7; 8 April 2023 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Wishing this could be deleted ?
Old 8 April 2023, 01:59 PM   #22
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Apologies for repeat posts ..there seems to be delay that I mistakenly misinterpret as not working ..
Old 8 April 2023, 04:30 PM   #23
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
New member and question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcenroe7 View Post
Apologies for repeat posts ..there seems to be delay that I mistakenly misinterpret as not working ..

Have them open the case back and than you can inspect the movement and take a picture and post it on here if your still unsure.

No reputable dealer will swap out a fake. I’ll be honest I don’t think I would have lost faith in them because they wouldn’t reimburse you $50 for gas.

Give them a chance to make it right or ask for a refund or exchange it for another watch. You don’t wear papers. If the price difference was Under 2k for papers and peace of mind I guys you can decide if it’s worth it. A watch that old you can get a ROLEX service card when you send it in to them directly for service.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 04:27 PM   #24
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
It all depends what you want to achieve.

What i would do:
Step 1: Go back and ask for a refund because the watch clearly has some technical issues. If they refuse and offer to repair it for you i would decline the repair because the repair doesn’t give you the piece of mind that it’s an authentic watch.
Step 2: Go to the RSC in Dallas and ask for an estimate for a service an to fix the problem. Be prepared to put in another 2k but after this you have either a refusal of service because of fake watch and get refund from the original seller or you have proof to yourself it’s real but in need of a service.
Step 3: Decide if you want the RSC to service it and pay the extra and ask the seller to pay for it or contribute to it.

I personally wouldn’t let the store fix it if i had your train of thought because that will leave you with the nagging feeling that it could be fake.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 04:52 PM   #25
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Welcome to the forum OP.

First of all, make sure the serial number appears on their receipt.

I would let them make it right, as they seem willing to do so.

Then schedule a RSC service immediately after, for complete peace of mind.
Old 13 April 2023, 09:15 AM   #26
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
Welcome to the forum OP.

First of all, make sure the serial number appears on their receipt.

I would let them make it right, as they seem willing to do so.

Then schedule a RSC service immediately after, for complete peace of mind.
In future, this is the best advice.
Get the to get the watch up and running - then send it to RSC - they'll make the watch like new.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 06:19 PM   #27
gnardex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN - 126600
Hi and welcome OP!
First of all it's NOT your fault. Always remember: if they sell you a non properly working watch, it is certainly not your fault.

Second: I don't know how is regulated the commerce in US, but in Europe they MUST accept refunds. They can write whatever they want in the receipt, but law is law, and I suspect that the same should hold also in US. Reason is simple: if you give the watch back, it is not for your whim. Rather, it is because what you bought (defective watch) is not what the seller presented to you (properly working watch), and so the contract is void and he should refund you in full. Try to inform, maybe someone in TRF living in US can tell us, but I am pretty sure you can insist and obtain a refund.
This would be my plan A.

Plan B: either what "minute man" or "rolex 1982" suggested you. For your peace of mind, before or after (you choose), I will bring the watch to the Dallas RSC. If they accept the watch, you will pay some..., but you will have a watch that is like brand new, and a 2 years Rolex warranty (and also the warranty that your rolex is original!).
If they do not accept it, you have the proof the watch has some non rolex parts and now you can pretend refund from the seller (also according what they say in the receipt).

But remember: not your fault!
Good luck!!!
gnardex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 06:33 PM   #28
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
refund or get rolex to fix it
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 06:49 PM   #29
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Genuine or fake, it's not working properly and was sold while unfit for purpose. Just get a refund and find another seller.

The time and money you will have spent traveling is the cost of learning a lesson that might have been tens of thousand dollars more expensive, so I'd say you got off cheap.

Good luck with it. There are a huge number of watches out there, yours is waiting for you. And if there is ever a doubt there is no doubt.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 08:28 PM   #30
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Called the business today and they want me to bring it back and they will get it serviced and then send back to me.

They will not compensate me for $50 gas

Take them up on their offer. Or send it to Rolex Service Center yourself. Expecting them to pay for gas is juvenile.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote