The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2023, 06:40 AM   #1
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Who is buying Precious Metal pieces

Hi Guys

Who is buying PM pieces and are you getting deals like before Covid, The reason I ask is there is so much knocking about with greys at or below list ,Why would you buy from a AD , The same AD you Moaned about for not selling you bits . Are you now returning the love ?
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 06:43 AM   #2
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

A classic example is a Blueberry list is £35 in the UK 🇬🇧 they are now 20% below list slightly used ,I thought I’d try Watchfinder who offered £22,000 .
Old 26 September 2023, 07:01 AM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I have to agree with you. The market has changed so much in recent years. I see a lot of PM at or below MSRP in the secondary market. I think it now makes a lot of sense to first price the watch you want on-line and if its available at or below retail price from a reputable seller, it makes sense to buy it rather than waiting for who knows how long at an AD.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 09:00 AM   #4
honuswagner13
"TRF" Member

The 2 pieces I’ve been watching to add to my collection is the rose gold olive dd and the new rose gold blue Skydweller.

The dd is about $6k over retail and the rose gold blue skyd is about $11k over. These were way over msrp, dd was close to $100k.

I think in the near future these too will be close to msrp and I won’t have to play AD games with these models.
honuswagner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 09:37 AM   #5
windingmybusiness
"TRF" Member

You mean Rolex watches aren’t investments that perpetually appreciate after all?
windingmybusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 10:09 AM   #6
Charlie Tango
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windingmybusiness View Post
You mean Rolex watches aren’t investments that perpetually appreciate after all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charlie Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 01:40 PM   #7
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windingmybusiness View Post
Never bought a watch as an investment,I only buy what I like and been doing that for 30 years . A member here for 15 +

I am asking more about who is buying from ADs when you can buy for less from the Grey Market. I am all for loyalty nut dropping £35 on a WG Sub you can pick up for £27 or less doesn’t make much sense to me . Then I tested the water offering the same watch to Watchfinder to be offered £22k , made me think even harder. Having bought PM with 25% discounts in the past ,I’m just curious who buys from a AD when there are such huge savings to be had . Even more so when People come on here moaning . I see one post suggesting they are getting 20% off PM pieces .That’s good to know.
Old 28 September 2023, 02:41 AM   #8
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
Never bought a watch as an investment,I only buy what I like and been doing that for 30 years . A member here for 15 +

I am asking more about who is buying from ADs when you can buy for less from the Grey Market. I am all for loyalty nut dropping £35 on a WG Sub you can pick up for £27 or less doesn’t make much sense to me . Then I tested the water offering the same watch to Watchfinder to be offered £22k , made me think even harder. Having bought PM with 25% discounts in the past ,I’m just curious who buys from a AD when there are such huge savings to be had . Even more so when People come on here moaning . I see one post suggesting they are getting 20% off PM pieces .That’s good to know.
I think the WG Sub is one of the real exceptions here Paul and it's not really representative of the Rolex precious metal market in my view for the UK.

And if someone on any forum is claiming a substantial discount of 20% from their AD for any new Rolex purchase I'd like to see the unequivocal proof to back up that kind of on-line claim.......

I personally just do not see AD's discounting new Rolex precious metal watches for fear of losing their franchise. And there are plenty of folks out there buying watches from their AD's who don't follow (or care) the grey market, or the chat on watch forums, and they just simply buy what they like/are offered so that they can wear, keep and enjoy them.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 02:42 AM   #9
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
I think the WG Sub is one of the real exceptions here Paul and it's not really representative of the Rolex precious metal market in my view for the UK.

And if someone on any forum is claiming a substantial discount of 20% from their AD I'd like to see the unequivocal proof to back up that kind of on-line claim....

I personally just do not see AD's discounting new Rolex precious metal watches for fear of losing their franchise. And there are plenty of folks out there buying watches from their AD's who don't follow (or care) the grey market, or the chat on watch forums, and they just simply buy what they like/are offered so that they can wear, keep and enjoy them.
Big fan of mine. Don't regret the purchase for a millisecond.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 10:14 AM   #10
garg
"TRF" Member

The current dated unworn gold subs are about 7% below retail at greys now. I was just in a rolex boutique 3 days ago, saw a gold sub in the display and asked if it was available for sale. It was not.

If greys can sell it below retail, it means that the cost of them acquiring a piece is even lower. Or maybe a bundle deal was made...

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 10:14 AM   #11
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by garg View Post
The current dated unworn gold subs are about 7% below retail at greys now. I was just in a rolex boutique 3 days ago, saw a gold sub in the display and asked if it was available for sale. It was not.

If greys can sell it below retail, it means that the cost of them acquiring a piece is even lower. Or maybe a bundle deal was made...

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

Bundle

Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 10:34 AM   #12
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

Gold Sub

I bought a few months ago...
IMG_1845.jpg
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 06:49 PM   #13
Wmesallem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgdaytona View Post
I bought a few months ago...
Attachment 1393126

Was offered the same watch a few months ago and I passed.

Wmesallem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 10:53 AM   #14
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I bought a DD40 onyx. My guess is it isn’t under MSRP + tax.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 05:02 PM   #15
WOOPS
"TRF" Member

WOOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 11:03 AM   #16
zagazar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 405.035 Datograph
Sydweller 336235 slate dial is available at my AD for anyone to pick up. Sitting at display for days now. AD said that many customers on list are rejecting watches. He said that even one hard core collector rejected 36mm celebration dial and they gave it to next customer on list.
zagazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 11:09 AM   #17
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagazar View Post
Sydweller 336235 slate dial is available at my AD for anyone to pick up. Sitting at display for days now. AD said that many customers on list are rejecting watches. He said that even one hard core collector rejected 36mm celebration dial and they gave it to next customer on list.
What?!!?

Rejecting a Celebration is insanity, they’re not expensive at all and if you don’t like it, it’s free money.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 11:14 AM   #18
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I remember prior to recent years people would buy PMs from ADs with very good discounts, otherwise many would go grey. Again, grey used to be where you would go to get Rolexes at a discount, not to pay a premium for one you couldn't get at the AD.

Wouldn't be surprised if very soon ADs start once again backdooring some of their PM inventory out to greys.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 12:48 PM   #19
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I’m still buying. More selective on the PM pieces I am buying though.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 01:03 PM   #20
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

I’m buying PM Rolex’s and getting somewhere between a 15 and 20% discount. Have to know how to negotiate. NOT!!!
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 05:33 PM   #21
Podmornica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
I’m buying PM Rolex’s and getting somewhere between a 15 and 20% discount. Have to know how to negotiate. NOT!!!
No need to have the negotiation skills. Some of them are already at 15% OFF, more are coming at discount with each passing month.

At this point it would be a poor decision to purchase any PM at the AD, since the grey dealers are the one who actually need to follow the market demand and offer discount on the pieces that are not moving.

AD still have those years long wait list they are clearing. Once that dries out in the coming months we will start to see 10-15% discount on PM pieces at the AD by Summer 2024.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 01:10 PM   #22
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

I’m interested in a PM piece but won’t be paying over retail to get one.

With no catalyst to turn things back to the crazy days interest will likely keep declining. Many of the buyers and sellers (flippers) over the past while could care less about watches and were just in it for the hype and quick buck.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 01:10 PM   #23
Bassplayer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife says too many
Will buy 40mm day date soon - happy about trend…

" I prefer to drink; not drive "
John Alec Entwistle
Bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 02:11 PM   #24
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Bought a YG DD40 a couple months ago from an AD, paid MSRP. Only four other watches I would consider buying currently (three are PM), and two of them are discontinued (WG YM2 and Blue Milgauss). The other two are the new YG GMT and YG DD40 with the green dial. I would pay MSRP for both of those.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 04:08 PM   #25
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Buyers with lots of £££ usually buy them but now it would seem at a reduced price
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 06:37 PM   #26
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

I've bought 2 PM pieces in the past few months :)
BriansRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 12:25 AM   #27
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansRolex View Post
I've bought 2 PM pieces in the past few months :)
The question is AD or grey for a discount?
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 08:34 PM   #28
TomCarter
"TRF" Member

Bought YG DD 40 w/ green dial a few months ago from my ad, if a full gold GRNR or Platinum or full YG Daytona become available I would buy them also. Besides that I would only be interested in special dials stone, Meteorite etc.
TomCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 12:49 AM   #29
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCarter View Post
Bought YG DD 40 w/ green dial a few months ago from my ad, if a full gold GRNR or Platinum or full YG Daytona become available I would buy them also. Besides that I would only be interested in special dials stone, Meteorite etc.
Congrats on the lovely pieces.. How long was your weight for the YG green dial? I put in a request for that one or the silver one a couple weeks ago.. Obviously the green dial is much harder to get but have a decent purchase history so was just curious as to your experience?
Watchesnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 09:29 AM   #30
TomCarter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchesnguitars View Post
Congrats on the lovely pieces.. How long was your weight for the YG green dial? I put in a request for that one or the silver one a couple weeks ago.. Obviously the green dial is much harder to get but have a decent purchase history so was just curious as to your experience?
I spoke to my SA and told him I wanted to purchase the watch to celebrate a special occasion and to my surprise I had it 2 weeks later. I do have a good relationship and have purchased multiple pieces with that particular ad but I’m definitely no whale. Felt like right place right time kind of thing honestly.
TomCarter is offline   Reply With Quote