The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 October 2023, 05:40 AM   #1
Rolmaus
"TRF" Member

Rolex Greece Experience

Just wanted to share my experience (which I guess might be same for others based on reading some reviews afterwards)...me and my husband visited an AD on one Greek island today (we are here on holidays). We saw a GMT Batman on display. As we would like to add this piece to our collection, we asked if they is available.

The AD told us that the watch is not available as it is already reserved for one Greek customer who spent 10K on jewellery and he is supposed to get this piece for his wedding. After some time of repeating this information, the AD stated that if we spend at least 7K on jewellery, the Batman would be ours. We rejected the offer as it felt like giving a bribe ... after some googling this seems to be a normal practice there. Anyone else having same experience?
Rolmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 05:50 AM   #2
GMT Freak
"TRF" Member

You must be new. This has been the case worldwide since 2015.

Though, it seems you were lucky to even to have been given an offer. Could be news that Rolex hype is dying down.
GMT Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 05:52 AM   #3
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the new world.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 05:55 AM   #4
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
It’s sad that they would just give up an allocated watch to someone who walks in and spends 7K.

That person expecting the watch would be so disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 05:55 AM   #5
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

They had the watch reserved for someone who spent 10k, but would give it to you instead if you spent 7k?

I’d be ticked if I was the customer who dropped 10 grand, only for the store to give away my watch before I could collect it.

Maybe they were lying to try to get an extra 7k out of you all... Underhanded either way!
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:09 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Most likely the watch was unallocated, and the store was just looking for the right deal to bundle the watch with.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 08:56 AM   #7
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Most likely the watch was unallocated, and the store was just looking for the right deal to bundle the watch with.
Either this . . or . . . they had another in the back anyway.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:27 AM   #8
Podmornica
Banned

Even the bundle deals are getting thinner by the day .. A lot more jewelry junk was required for a Batgirl back in the 2020..
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:36 AM   #9
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
My friend could buy a Submariner with a Tudor from a Rolex AD in Saudi Arabia. I do not mind such package deal. Better than paying premium at the grey market. At least you still get a very well made watch that you can resell to recoup something or simply use it as another watch.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 03:26 AM   #10
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
My friend could buy a Submariner with a Tudor from a Rolex AD in Saudi Arabia. I do not mind such package deal. Better than paying premium at the grey market. At least you still get a very well made watch that you can resell to recoup something or simply use it as another watch.
I'd take that deal any day!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:40 AM   #11
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Buying something else to secure what you want seems to be the norm in most places
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 02:00 PM   #12
Rolmaus
"TRF" Member

Yes, I am new to the current 2023 market. I bought three Rolex watches in the UK and Austria in 2020 and 2021 and never had such an experience. That is why I was so surprised... I guess the time has changed?

The watch was 100% not allocated. The reviews of the store tell that they make such offers to every potential Rolex customer. For 41 DJ one has to buy jewellery for 4K.

I understand that the AD wants to make more business. But for me I would rather not have that watch under such circumstances as it does not feel right for me. It kind of like destroys the buying experience for me. So most probably I will never get a Batman.
Rolmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 02:09 PM   #13
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolmaus View Post
Yes, I am new to the current 2023 market. I bought three Rolex watches in the UK and Austria in 2020 and 2021 and never had such an experience. That is why I was so surprised... I guess the time has changed?

The watch was 100% not allocated. The reviews of the store tell that they make such offers to every potential Rolex customer. For 41 DJ one has to buy jewellery for 4K.

I understand that the AD wants to make more business. But for me I would rather not have that watch under such circumstances as it does not feel right for me. It kind of like destroys the buying experience for me. So most probably I will never get a Batman.

Just buy grey.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 04:49 PM   #14
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
As mentioned before just buy grey it’s a watch you can buy straight away without the hassle
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 04:51 PM   #15
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Only $7000?

Wow….bargain.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 05:58 PM   #16
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Only $7000?

Wow….bargain.
Agree. It's on par with Grey!

Could have pushed for 4-5k and walked out with the watch that day. It certainly wasn't promised to anyone else.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 08:11 PM   #17
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Only $7000?

Wow….bargain.
Jeez, what a deal!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 08:31 PM   #18
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
That AD was full of it. Good call you passed on that and class act you didn't tell him where to shove it as that would probably warrant a paraphrased nickname for that GMT reference...
Old 12 October 2023, 09:01 PM   #19
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I would just look for an excellent pre owned full set 1st Gen Batman if it were me, they can fetch for $13800 & up.
Old 12 October 2023, 09:09 PM   #20
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
This is why Rolex needs to sell directly. To many AD games out there.
Old 12 October 2023, 10:48 PM   #21
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
This^
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 05:44 PM   #22
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
If they were supposed to follow the guidelines of everyone wanting Pepsis and Daytonas to be available to anyone that wants one, this is what would happen:

They would have to go from producing 35% stainless steel models to 75%. Revenue would decrease massively because nearly noone would be buying other models, to the same tune as they are sold now.

Few weeks in and the second hand market would drop way below retail since everything "would be available". Current demand would diminish and people would look grey rather than buying directly.

Brand image would crash in line with all the media articles now covering how Rolex watches have lost their value overnight.

But yeah, they should definitely sell directly and fulfill demand. No more games.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 09:37 PM   #23
N0trub

I just wish American AD were this honest……i get six days to six years for a new watch and with a smile I leave.
N0trub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 01:35 AM   #24
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
For all those calling this AD a liar for selling the allocated BLNR, who's to say they don't have a few in the safe? I'm one of those (conspiracy theorists?) who believes ADs have had SS stock in the back this whole time, and likely a few multiples of some references, waiting for customers with deep pockets. Greece sees a lot of tourists and whales do get beached sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0trub View Post
I just wish American AD were this honest……i get six days to six years for a new watch and with a smile I leave.
As do I but they would probably lose their Rolex AD status pretty quickly if they did.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 03:24 AM   #25
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
For all those calling this AD a liar for selling the allocated BLNR, who's to say they don't have a few in the safe? I'm one of those (conspiracy theorists?) who believes ADs have had SS stock in the back this whole time, and likely a few multiples of some references, waiting for customers with deep pockets. Greece sees a lot of tourists and whales do get beached sometimes.

As do I but they would probably lose their Rolex AD status pretty quickly if they did.

And you would be 100% correct.

The only models they don’t have multiple of are the very hard to get Daytonas. Otherwise they have most of the models in the back. How do I know? They magically appear for me to try on or buy when I’ve asked. Now some were not available to buy but they have most of them. The only time I think they thinned out the inventory was in the beginning of Covid in 2020 when there was a LOT of concern about what would happen. I know someone who spent $1.2M at my AD buying everything they offered him.

TUDOR: M79030-B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2023, 10:40 AM   #26
987fanatic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post

Regarding your comment about Rolex taking their AD status… I think Rolex doesn’t give an F! They even place a disclaimer on their webpage stating that an AD must sell at MSRP or below BUT that they don’t meddle between the customer and the AD. I.e.: they won’t interfere if you rat on the offending AD. I know in Latin America some ADs mark up their watches directly, selling as if they were a great.
987fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 10:13 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum.

If they had $7000k of jewelry that you wanted it’s not a bad deal IMO
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 10:53 PM   #28
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Sounds fine to me. At least they were straight up.
Would you prefer the alternative that many people face?

An endless wait on a bogus list that never results in a watch. Or bundling an unspecified amount of jewelry or other watches that may still never eventuate in the watch you want.

If I was after a Batman with no reasonable hope of getting one at retail, I would have found that an attractive proposition.

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 10:57 PM   #29
Miker86
"TRF" Member

I’ve always wondered if anyone has accepted a bundling deal like this then just returned the jewellery in line with the seller’s refund policy…..
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 11:15 PM   #30
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
There are so many synergies between car salespeople and watch salespeople that they really need to merge industries.