The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 February 2024, 01:26 PM   #1
buddenfan
Banned

Is this a modern masterpiece?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0536.jpeg (78.4 KB, 712 views)
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 01:28 PM   #2
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
As someone who doesn’t own one yet I do think it has the potential to be considered a classic down the line. I feel like it does need a few refinements to really get it there, the biggest problem for me is the hands. Obviously only time will tell.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 01:32 PM   #3
deebles
"TRF" Member

I’ve never seen one in the metal. To me, looking at photos and videos, it seems too retro to be a modern classic. It looks like a throwback IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 02:14 PM   #4
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I really was not impressed in-person with the chronograph version. Quite underwhelming IMO.

Also the bracelet is just...not competitive with other SS watches like the Royal Oak. I love shitting on AP, but their bracelets crush the competition. Now that they have tanked 2nd hand, it makes moser a lot less appealing.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 02:28 PM   #5
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I really was not impressed in-person with the chronograph version. Quite underwhelming IMO.

Also the bracelet is just...not competitive with other SS watches like the Royal Oak. I love shitting on AP, but their bracelets crush the competition. Now that they have tanked 2nd hand, it makes moser a lot less appealing.
You mind elaborating on what you didn’t like about the Chronograph?

I really like the moser bracelet but that’s only from the perspective of trying it on for a few minutes. I’ve had more time on the wrist with a AP when a friend let me borrow his for a day. I do agree their bracelets are much better. But AP has had much more time to refine theirs.
Old 1 February 2024, 02:33 PM   #6
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGreubel View Post
You mind elaborating on what you didn’t like about the Chronograph?

I really like the moser bracelet but that’s only from the perspective of trying it on for a few minutes. I’ve had more time on the wrist with a AP when a friend let me borrow his for a day. I do agree their bracelets are much better. But AP has had much more time to refine theirs.
The anglage was pretty thin, good amount of chatter marks etc. IMO definitely a step down from ALS, AP, and even PP.

To me it's in a weird price range. I'd rather spend a little more and getting something from an independent with true hand finishing or just go with something more industrial like AP and get the same quality of finish for about the same price or less.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 03:18 PM   #7
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The anglage was pretty thin, good amount of chatter marks etc. IMO definitely a step down from ALS, AP, and even PP.

To me it's in a weird price range. I'd rather spend a little more and getting something from an independent with true hand finishing or just go with something more industrial like AP and get the same quality of finish for about the same price or less.
Thank you for providing more specifics. Makes sense.
Old 1 February 2024, 02:58 PM   #8
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:

I am surprised you mention bracelet as this streamliner bracelet imo is one of the nicest Ive seen in the watch world possibly only second to Czapekat least in modern watches of the last few years
Old 1 February 2024, 03:39 PM   #9
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Not at all. Tried the new versions in Dubai recently and it's one ugly watch that's for sure. The hype for Moser is dying down finally.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 10:53 PM   #10
RRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Not at all. Tried the new versions in Dubai recently and it's one ugly watch that's for sure. The hype for Moser is dying down finally.
Why do you even bother commenting under independent threads? The only watches you like are PP AP and Rolex LMFAO.
RRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 11:45 PM   #11
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJ View Post
Why do you even bother commenting under independent threads? The only watches you like are PP AP and Rolex LMFAO.
I like many independents but can't allow myself to go down that path - at least not for now.

Rolex has some nice watches but they all look the same to me. The changes are really in the colors the way i see it.

AP i fell out of love with, don't like the direction the company is taking.

Patek I applaud the modernization approach they are taking while trying to keep their DNA.

The streamliner looks like a porsche design watch, can't be bothered to look for it. But i don't like it, personal opinion. FWIW i did put my name down for the blue enamel dial one that i tried in Dubai but i doubt i will get it. If i do, i will certainly purchase it but then flip it, only if it is profitable.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 07:36 AM   #12
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post

How do you figure “the hype for Moser is dying down finally”? Just a subjective observation? Can’t be a monetary thing as all watch brands came down from the crazy highs we saw a couple of years ago. I haven’t seen anything to indicate interest in Moser has declined. In fact possibly the opposite.

Here’s my stunning contribution to this thread. I’ve also got a salmon dial Streamliner that is absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 10:26 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
How do you figure “the hype for Moser is dying down finally”? Just a subjective observation? Can’t be a monetary thing as all watch brands came down from the crazy highs we saw a couple of years ago. I haven’t seen anything to indicate interest in Moser has declined. In fact possibly the opposite.

Here’s my stunning contribution to this thread. I’ve also got a salmon dial Streamliner that is absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

Don't scratch that beauty on that machine. LOL
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 12:20 PM   #14
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Don't scratch that beauty on that machine. LOL

Good call! I’ve worn it to the gym quite a bit. I’m not overly careful or anything but the way I workout I just don’t see it getting damaged. I truly enjoy wearing this watch and it is very comfortable on the rubber strap. I’m a stockier, somewhat muscular guy, so the 42.8mm size really works well for me. The Pioneer makes for a pretty great sports watch, in my opinion.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 08:39 PM   #15
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Taste is personal. I for one like the Streamliner a lot - so much so that I added a blue Chrono to my collection. I think it’s a great watch with a really unique design. Not derivative like some of the other newcomers. The variation between brushed and polished surfaces on the case and the bracelet creates a lot of visual interest. It’s not a watch for those that prefer to stay on the well-trodden path - although I did consider a 15450 as well. But for similar money you’re getting something more special and a better finished movement for sure. Is it the new Nautilus/Royal Oak? Who know how we’ll look back at this in 20 years time.
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 10:27 PM   #16
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Taste is personal. I for one like the Streamliner a lot - so much so that I added a blue Chrono to my collection. I think it’s a great watch with a really unique design. Not derivative like some of the other newcomers. The variation between brushed and polished surfaces on the case and the bracelet creates a lot of visual interest. It’s not a watch for those that prefer to stay on the well-trodden path - although I did consider a 15450 as well. But for similar money you’re getting something more special and a better finished movement for sure. Is it the new Nautilus/Royal Oak? Who know how we’ll look back at this in 20 years time.
Is it similar money? Because Royak Oak’s and Nautiluses aren’t exactly fetching for $21-25k

Congrats on the blue! Can you post a photo
Old 2 February 2024, 07:55 AM   #17
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Is it similar money? Because Royak Oak’s and Nautiluses aren’t exactly fetching for $21-25k

Congrats on the blue! Can you post a photo
Similar money between the chrono and a 15450. Streamliner Chronos go for 35k euros and silver 15450 as well. Will try to post a pic soon - need to figure out how to do that!
Old 1 February 2024, 11:04 PM   #18
Chrasmus
"TRF" Member

Yes it is! In my 40+ years of being into watches, I find that my Salmon version of this watch is one of the most unique and beautiful watches I have ever owned. The dial, case, and bracelet are amazing, and the movement is very nice.
Chrasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 11:04 PM   #19
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Yes John seem to have a habit of repeating ad nauseam that he will stick with Rolex and PP as “independents”. Anyhow - in other news, Moser and Alpine just announced a new collab and it seems like it’s for a Streamliner watch. These guys do have a knack for picking out the right kinds of partners. Look forward to what it is. https://www.h-moser.com/alpine-motor...nt=landingpage
Old 2 February 2024, 01:19 AM   #20
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
No. Not a masterpiece but a very cool watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 03:55 AM   #21
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

It's certainly interesting, and I haven't unfortunately seen one in person, but from pictures, I don't think it will age well. Just a bit too quirky.

Also, I hate (strong word!) the style of the hour and minute hands. They look cheap and not becoming of a luxury timepiece.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 05:09 AM   #22
buddenfan
Banned

What makes something like a Nautilus or a Royal Oak a masterpiece? I never understood it because I never saw anything special about them especially from a design perspective. Whereas say a watch like Cartier Santos has a classic dial, the screens across the bezel going down to each link along the bracelet is incredible from a design perspective yet the Santos rarely gets mentioned amongst the greats
Old 2 February 2024, 05:37 AM   #23
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

amazing watch and i got one
salnuaimi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 05:46 AM   #24
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Not for me. The band is visually unpleasant. IMHO

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 10:25 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
That was my reaction also.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 04:16 AM   #26
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Hah. I think the bracelet looks awesome and the case is ok too. Not a big fan of the green and salmon dial colors and the movement though.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 08:58 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

To me, it's more of a cool retro vibe. Photos really don't do the shape and dimensions justice, incredible in person imho.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 11:47 AM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Old 2 February 2024, 02:54 PM   #29
MP777
"TRF" Member

No
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 03:30 AM   #30
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
My two Mosers
The second on is a LE of 10 pieces made for the Horophile (wonder what ever happened to him)

I really like the bracelet on the Streamliner

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote