The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 October 2020, 12:55 AM   #1
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
What is your "HEALTH" worth to YOU..?

How much effort and time should be put into ones health and well being..? Is it really worth it at all ..? I ponder these thoughts when I see other guys my age and older still smoking their cigarettes and eating a big old greasy double bacon cheeseburger. Does it really matter much in the big picture what we eat, smoke,drink etc etc etc.... hmmmmm
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:18 AM   #2
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Healths worth is relative to ones opinion and lifestyle. I have always maintained a healthy weight and BMI and eat whatever I want, whenever I want. I’m 36 and have controlled high blood pressure. My blood pressure is hereditary though and Diet/lifestyle changes had no effect in lowering it without meds (I’ve tried at the advice of my doctor). I enjoy Copenhagen, Coca Cola, beer and bacon. I could certainly give them up (tobacco would be the hard one) and add some metaphoric years to my life. I can also continue to live my life and enjoy some of life’s pleasures. I’ve chosen the later for the time being since BP is controlled. I also do not go to the gym or have any hobbies that are exercise based. I am very active however and get more than enough exercise between work and work around the house. My yearly metabolic test came back in January and I believe it was 1600-1700 calories a day sedentary metabolic rate. Also, every bit of my blood work falls into the normal/healthy area beyond cotinine which comes from tobacco use and it’s just a if it’s present or not test. Everyone’s body is different though so what works for them I say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:27 AM   #3
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

A lot of people don't care that much about their health until they lose it.

My father in law smoked like a chimney and said he couldn't quit. Then he got emphysema and had an oxygen tank with him and miraculously quit smoking. A bit late.

We live in a pretty health conscious society these days but the medically/govt approved diet ruined many people's health for the last 30-40 years.

People have learned they have to take control and educate themselves on their own because the professionals let them down.

Follow the money.
Old 31 October 2020, 01:49 AM   #4
It's Hedley
"TRF" Member

My health means everything to me now. With that being said, had I known I was going to live this long (55), I would have taken better care of myself. Sex, drugs and rock n roll in your youth, sure takes a toll on you later in life.
It's Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:55 AM   #5
colpol
"TRF" Member

Lot of it in the genes but the way I look at is :

Do a lot of cycling which I enjoy so a win / win situation
When I was younger 20/ 30s - cycling/ light weights = looking better for the ladies so a win / win situation again

Are cigarettes really that enjoyable? In the Uk £12 or thereabouts for a packet. Times that by 7 x 52 weeks & your smoking away your watch fund. Same with excessive drinking / fast food etc

Nothing wrong with odd beer/ whiskey/ bacon roll etc. Need to live/ enjoy life but in moderation

Final thoughts - one of mates was looking to lose about 20kg. Few weeks later taking his parents to the airport & their cases were 20kg each. He said the thought that he was carrying that case around every day round his torso was the inspiration to lose the 20kg as quickly as possible (plus he felt better once lost it)
Also - all the guys you see smoking / drinking etc - you’ve no way of knowing if there taking tablets for diabetes/ heart thinning etc so not always black & white
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 02:10 AM   #6
fmc000
Banned

I had been overweight for most of my life, 106.7 Kg maximum and I'm 1.7m (235lbs / 5ft 6in).

I have high blood pressure, hereditary, that I control with meds. Last year I discovered that the pain in my back was caused by three damaged disks and by a "loose" vertebra.
I consulted a physician that basically told me that either I lost weight or a surgery was necessary to ease the pain.

To cut a long story short, since March I lost 21Kg (47lbs) and I really feel better now (I was about 90Kg at that time - 200lbs). I can safely say that at 51 I feel much better than I felt at 30.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 02:23 AM   #7
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Means a lot to me, but I also like to enjoy some things I know are not good for me. I try to moderate those and make good choices more often than not. I do not obsess about it, as that is not healthy either. I have friends that overly obsess about diet and exercise and they are not happy people. They will probably live longer but living long being unhappy is not optimal....I have a couple chronic conditions (Arthritis/Bad Back) that prevent me from working out as hard as I would like but I still lift most days. I take a proactive approach to my wellness with lifting, yoga, golf and meditation. These things make my brain happy and therefore keep me happy and positive even on bad days when pain levels are high. I try to emulate this and set and example for those close to me, but honestly many people I socialize and/or work with do not see the benefits in being active. Really sad...

For the most part I have weighed the same since I was 18. Stay around 200 pounds at 6' 2". Body fat % moves around a little depending on my exercise routines and diet.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 02:26 AM   #8
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
I had been overweight for most of my life, 106.7 Kg maximum and I'm 1.7m (235lbs / 5ft 6in).

I have high blood pressure, hereditary, that I control with meds. Last year I discovered that the pain in my back was caused by three damaged disks and by a "loose" vertebra.
I consulted a physician that basically told me that either I lost weight or a surgery was necessary to ease the pain.

To cut a long story short, since March I lost 21Kg (47lbs) and I really feel better now (I was about 90Kg at that time - 200lbs). I can safely say that at 51 I feel much better than I felt at 30.
Good on you Fabio!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 02:31 AM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I am a believer in moderation for nearly every facet of life, including diet and exercise.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 02:48 AM   #10
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post

Wow, that's great! kudos my friend!
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 03:10 AM   #11
Star Ferry
Banned

Worth a lot, but I balance physical health with mental health. I've tried "eating clean" with chicken, fish, vegetables, no fluids but water -- my body looked great, but I felt miserable

One thing that does bother me: people have now normalized being overweight. An overweight uncle told me I was "tiny," and I found that bizarre. At the time, I was 5'8" 170 pounds (~77kg) and in decent shape (could do 50 pushups, 8 pull-ups, run a few miles, etc).

50 years ago, 170 pounds wasn't small. And today's average American man at 195 pounds (~88kg) doesn't actually have more lean mass than I have, the extra is all fat.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 03:13 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My health and that of my friends and family is worth everything to me. I think you’d have to be crazy to think otherwise.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 03:15 AM   #13
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Balance and a well rounded lifestyle is key... I don’t want to live on a bike/gym, nor do I want to eat like a pig everyday. Find a balance that makes you happy and healthy without going too extreme in either direction.
~JJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 03:30 AM   #14
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Means a lot more to me now than 6 months ago, when I was having a grand 'ol time for the most part at 68. Never been overweight or had medical problems that I knew of even with annual check ups...that was until I had a heart attack on the 16May. That..was an intense wake up call. Was told I was very lucky when I was treated and saved at the hospital. Stopped smoking and cut back on the booze substantially. Now other issues accompany the heart recovery. My body had taken a major hit and it ain't fun. So yeah, my health is worth a hell of a lot to me now more than ever.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 03:55 AM   #15
330ci
"TRF" Member

health is the ultimate luxury in my opinion and while my pockets may not be endless, I am afforded the opportunity to hit the trails regularly and I take full advantage of that privilege.

I also have trained myself to eat pretty healthy throughout the years. Dating/living with a nutritionist for a year definitely kicked a lot of my poor eating habits.

I don’t drink or use tobacco. Haven’t had THC since the beginning of the year, rarely eat processed sugars or meat.

Committing to living healthy isn’t easy, and I really don’t blame people for not structuring their lives more around their health and wellness; but for me, I couldn’t imagine life any other way. Pushing the limits of this vessel is what life’s all about.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 03:55 AM   #16
BreguetRolex
Banned

Well I guess I fall into the obsessed camp as my life pretty much revolves around eating proper and nutritional food and yes you got it, the bicycle. Wife and I never go out to eat but on a rare occasion and have one of the wackiest and crazy food rituals . The reason I bought this up is my mother who passed away a few years ago, smoked camel none filter cigarettes, eat every conceivable nasty junk food you can think of and lived to be 86. BUT BUT for the last 20 years she had every single thing wrong with her you can think of plus very over weight and dementia . She was alive but you might as just as well tossed out those years. We were surely not set good examples on diet and health at all.

I put a lot of time, effort and work into my "GIG" and on days like today with it sleeting and wind blowing 18+MPH , I blew off a day out on the road and just feeling guilty about it for some reason. Setting here in my office on the net and typing this sure beats the heck out of out on my bike when it feels like bloody SIBERIA to me..!
Old 31 October 2020, 04:04 AM   #17
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Means a lot more to me now than 6 months ago, when I was having a grand 'ol time for the most part at 68. Never been overweight or had medical problems that I knew of even with annual check ups...that was until I had a heart attack on the 16May. That..was an intense wake up call. Was told I was very lucky when I was treated and saved at the hospital. Stopped smoking and cut back on the booze substantially. Now other issues accompany the heart recovery. My body had taken a major hit and it ain't fun. So yeah, my health is worth a hell of a lot to me now more than ever.

Lucky for you and what a wake up call. You were given a warning and taking action that is required. Glad your doing a lot better and on the mend..
Old 31 October 2020, 04:06 AM   #18
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Lucky for you and what a wake up call. You were given a warning and taking action that is required. Glad your doing a lot better and on the mend..
Thanks BR..

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:10 AM   #19
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I have always valued health, I could post photos of myself at the beginning of this year versus today and for a 48 year old I had the body of a twenty something year old fitness athlete, not today. No drinking(occasional wine) no smoking, great diet, disciplined fitness regimen. Then 2020 happened and boy....I won't go into detail here but the docs speculate that it was solely because of my great physical condition that I made it through and still recovering.
As Blanksy so clearly stated above, "A lot of people don't care that much about their health until they lose it."
So true, and as a medical professional I can attest to how out of shape americans are versus other countries, simply due to obesity, without getting into any of the other self inflicted chronic medical conditions.

Even someone as healthy as me can succumb to grave conditions, but the take away is not that "see, even if you do everything right, you can still ......"
No, the take away is that because I was so healthy I was able to withstand and recover from my situation whereas a person who'd been in less physical condition of my age would not have faired as well.
But more than health which we take for granted as a general statement, we need to appreciate life even more seriously. I would give away all my health for a love one because their life is more precious to me. Life is really short, and once it goes, there is no medicine or technology that can assist, delay, or revert to it's living function.

Take control of your body, a huge amount of health issues can simply be prevented by avoiding obesity, so many health issues branch out from this one thing.
And do yourself a favor and research your family medical history and identify genetic risk factors for which you may be vulnerable for, and take precautions where required.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:17 AM   #20
swils8610

Priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:24 AM   #21
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I have always valued health, I could post photos of myself at the beginning of this year versus today and for a 48 year old I had the body of a twenty something year old fitness athlete, not today. No drinking(occasional wine) no smoking, great diet, disciplined fitness regimen. Then 2020 happened and boy....I won't go into detail here but the docs speculate that it was solely because of my great physical condition that I made it through and still recovering.
As Blanksy so clearly stated above, "A lot of people don't care that much about their health until they lose it."
So true, and as a medical professional I can attest to how out of shape americans are versus other countries, simply due to obesity, without getting into any of the other self inflicted chronic medical conditions.

Even someone as healthy as me can succumb to grave conditions, but the take away is not that "see, even if you do everything right, you can still ......"
No, the take away is that because I was so healthy I was able to withstand and recover from my situation whereas a person who'd been in less physical condition of my age would not have faired as well.
But more than health which we take for granted as a general statement, we need to appreciate life even more seriously. I would give away all my health for a love one because their life is more precious to me. Life is really short, and once it goes, there is no medicine or technology that can assist, delay, or revert to it's living function.

Take control of your body, a huge amount of health issues can simply be prevented by avoiding obesity, so many health issues branch out from this one thing.
And do yourself a favor and research your family medical history and identify genetic risk factors for which you may be vulnerable for, and take precautions where required.
Yup agree. We are all just gazelles (or some are wildebeests) wandering on the Serengeti as the lions are looking down on the menu. There are no guarantees even if we do everything "right".

All we can do is better our odds by a healthy lifestyle (or walk beside the wildebeests--they're kinda slow).

I had an electrical heart malfunction while playing hockey (Wolff Parkinson White syndrome) when I was 39. Heart rate hit 314 beats a minute and wouldn't kick out. Completely out of the blue. Supposedly genetic. No previous symptoms. So no guarantees in life.

So I became aware that I wasn't hollow inside after all and there is a lot of complex stuff going on in there that needs respecting.
Old 31 October 2020, 04:27 AM   #22
BreguetRolex
Banned

Yes there is good luck, genes etc etc etc involved but I honestly believe that I "INCREASE MY ODDS" by putting the effort forward that I do. Will be 68 in February and never have felt as fit and healthy as I do today. Thats just not internet BS crap flying but true. When I had that nasty bike crash late July and was told it should be 2 1/2 to 4 months to fully recover because of my age and I was back out and at it 3 weeks later. The concussion and vertigo were the toughest to shake off but the 3 cracked ribs, and fractured collar bone was healed in no time ... I honestly believe my conditional played a key roll in that..
Old 31 October 2020, 04:30 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I had an electrical heart malfunction while playing hockey (Wolff Parkinson White syndrome) when I was 39. Heart rate hit 314 beats a minute and wouldn't kick out. Completely out of the blue. Supposedly genetic. No previous symptoms...

That’s insane ...

Very happy you’re still with us

In all seriousness, at what point does the heart just blow out?
Old 31 October 2020, 04:38 AM   #24
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s insane ...

Very happy you’re still with us

In all seriousness, at what point does the heart just blow out?
Thanks. Not sure.

But the upside was I met my wife while on the operating table while they did the "study" to determine the ablation. She was a cath lab nurse.
Old 31 October 2020, 04:38 AM   #25
BreguetRolex
Banned

Before and after I decided to go into physico health mode...!

7BA71B7B-3B9A-4A94-BC3F-1F2BA248B7D2_1_105_c.jpeg

1EE5A48F-5EC0-4CDD-A63D-6D3A7569E5D7.jpeg

C8EFFC48-0F15-4A8F-A99F-BB32944532E9_1_105_c.jpeg
Old 31 October 2020, 04:39 AM   #26
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
My parents had five heart attacks between the two of them, thanks mom and dad. There were extreme differences, heavy smoking, no exercise, my dads idea of working out was lifting donuts to his face. Maybe because of these facts, I am not a fanatic, but very conscious of my health, BP, cholesterol, regular exercise, good weight, never smoked (or drank). As I creep up on the dreaded 60, so far so good.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:44 AM   #27
BreguetRolex
Banned

120LB Loss in 8 months can happen with a big enough want to..before and after again...

0F6731B8-95A0-4A88-9692-56EE5FFEE02D_1_105_c.jpeg

B11A652B-09CD-4FDC-807B-C7873A7DE4E2_1_105_c.jpeg
Old 31 October 2020, 04:45 AM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Thanks. Not sure.

But the upside was I met my wife while on the operating table while they did the "study" to determine the ablation. She was a cath lab nurse.
Now that's a wedding story

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 31 October 2020, 04:45 AM   #29
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Before and after I decided to go into physico health mode...!

Attachment 1180220

Attachment 1180221

Attachment 1180222
Wow, that’s pretty incredible. Can hardly tell you’re the same person
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:49 AM   #30
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Wow, that’s pretty incredible. Can hardly tell you’re the same person

I went from a 44 inch waist to a 31 inch and from 265lbs to 150lbs. Yah I am no spring chicken but still can hold my own in 50K races with the young bucks..:) How big is your want to..? I dont mind sharing my story and pics as most on here will never show there face ever..:)