The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Double_J
"TRF" Member

What would you do?

The ridiculousness of this question hit me while I was writing this post. Classify this one under "middle class blues' or alternatively, under 'world's smallest violin'.

I impulse bought a Chronomat Evo in 2007 (ss slate w/black sub dials). Loved it when I bought it but it seemed to lose it's luster over the past couple of years. The polished bracelet and case just seem to be too much for my steadily aging tastes, especially when combined with the relatively busy face. Oddly enough, I still do use it as my daily wearer so I guess I don't really dislike it that much - it just doesn't sing to me anymore.

I've been interested in Panerais for the past few years but have never gotten around to buying one. Even though they have large case sizes, I very much like how classy they look with their understated faces and leather bands. I recently saw the 312 and 321 models and both seem like something I'd be more than happy to wear.

Money isn't an issue but honestly, i dont know many people who could spend more than 5 grand on a watch and not cringe at least a little. The finance person in me says to keep the Breitling and just order a leather strap to tone it down a bit and to give me the feeling of something new. The WIS in me says to get one of the Panerais.

If the latter, I'd likely trade in the Evo since I already have a sub date (pre ceramic) and djii and neither will be leaving my collection soon. If I got the Panerai, the breitling would likely see zero wrist time and it'd be a total waste.

As far as I can tell, arguments for the Panerai are as follows: new watch excitement, better aesthetics, more of a 'special' piece due to the in-house movement, new watch excitement.

Arguments against: a lot of money I don't really need to spend, the breitling is still a fine watch and the aesthetics can be vastly improved by a 50 dollar leather strap, worry that I'd fall out of love with the Panerais in a few years too, especially considering their less than traditional case sizing and potentially trendy nature of the brand.

So, what do you think you would do: keep the cash and just get a strap for the Breitling, or sacrifice the Evo in order to scratch the itch and get the Panerai?
Double_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 01:23 PM   #2
beowulf566
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx,Omga,CyS,brtln
I think you should find someone interested in taking the breitling in trade and go for the panerai, or sell the breitling and buy the panerai. Life is short you only live once might as well enjoy the little things while we can. If you wind up missing youe breitling you can always find another one
Old 25 May 2011, 03:29 PM   #3
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
well be prepared to take a super hit on selling the chronomat. Breitling in their grand wisdom decided to kill that version and go with some space age new looking chronomat. if you do sell it you could probably expect about 2500-2700 with the bracelet max. so i guess if you do get the Pam it would be nice to put that money towards that.

ok correct me if im wrong but the pam retails new for about 7400 for the 312 correct? if you dont mind spending the money its a great watch. in fact a friend of mine is selling his 328 which is a 312 but on bracelet. pm me if youre interested.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 02:02 AM   #4
BigMac53
"TRF" Member

You sound like you really don't want to shell out the probably $5K for the PAM, and I can't say I blame you. If I were in your position, I would get a couple of leather and croc straps and keep the Chronomat. The Breitling is a great watch, and it looks great on straps, AND Breatling makes some great straps, both leather and croc. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you change the bracelet on it.
BigMac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 03:09 AM   #5
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
I would stick with Chronomat Evo, just try it on various straps and I`m sure you`ll find perfect combo.
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 11:33 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

you still wear it every day, so, why not try a couple of straps before making your move? it could be a small investment for peace of mind (when you go PAM) or you might re-discover your passion for the watch you already have.

win-win.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2011, 08:53 AM   #7
mrw3685
"TRF" Member

I agree as well, changing the straps around on chronomats gives them a completely different look....or you could just get what you want!
mrw3685 is offline   Reply With Quote