The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 November 2014, 09:56 PM   #1
jhamiltonwa
"TRF" Member

Watch: '87 Air King Date
Oh dear, I want a new Rolex but if I get it, I don't want to explain it to everyone

It's been 25 years since I bought the Air King and now I think I want a 141060 Sub. I never thought I could live without a date function, but now I want to try the purity of time only. I want the casual vibe of a sports watch for a change. The thick lugs were (are?) a turn off but the improvements to the movement, case, bracelet are compelling. Black face, ceramic bezel. Yeah, I'm pretty certain.

What's more, while I'm not wealthy by any means I seem to have finally got to the phase where it is coming in faster than it's going out. We all admit it's never a wise move financially, but it's a perfectly manageable dumb move if you know what I mean.

But I'm kind of embarrassed. I've worn my watch everyday and everywhere and as soon as the shiny new Sub appears on my wrist it's going to be "Hey! what? Another Rolex?" "Why?" "What was wrong the other one?" "Didn't you say you wanted a bigger apartment nearer the beach? How does this fit in with that plan?" That last one is my 85 year old mum. ( she does have point) Dad is 98 and he'll just raise an eyebrow. A Seiko was all he ever needed he has much more spare change than I've got.

But it's 25 years. I want a new watch. I am a watch geek who has fought the urge a long long time. That's okay isn't it?

Do members here ever dread the explanation to the family and friends who just don't get watches when they succumb? And don't say they won't notice, they'll notice.

Is this embarrassment my conscience or some common sense inner voice that I ignore at my peril?

Advice please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jhamiltonwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
The good news is most people don't notice watches... only others who are into watches, and then they will appreciate Rolex.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Seven7r
"TRF" Member

Don't worry about it

Most people that you see and meet won't even notice that you're wearing a watch that's worth more than someone's car.

But the thing is, if you meet someone like me, or the majority of TRF members, get ready to talk about watches for a minimum of 10 minutes!
Seven7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
If it's going to be that big a deal, then don't get one.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:15 PM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Buy and wear what you want. Life's too short to worry what others might think.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:17 PM   #6
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167, 16570, 5513
I see what your saying, but you'll only have to have that awkward conversation once. Say you just wanted to treat yourself. You only live once and cant take it with you. Also your talking about a watch under 8k, how many of the people in your life blow 30-40k plus on a car that will loose most it's value in 5-6 years. Your purchase, if you buy right, won't loose any value and could go up! Buy the watch.
samuelhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:17 PM   #7
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
If it's going to be that big a deal, then don't get one.
X2.... It seems like all the unwanted attention could ruin your enjoyment.

However, you could trade in the Air-King and therefore you just upgraded.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:19 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Life is WAAAAY to short, go for it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:22 PM   #9
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
It is your money and you have the right to spend it on whatever you want without any feelings of guilt.

Also just remember that when you walk out of the shop with your new Rolex on your wrist, you have paid taxes for the good of the community in which you live, you have helped keep the retailer in business as well as the jobs of all the workers in the supply chain. In fact you should feel proud, so go ahead and buy it with your head held high.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:24 PM   #10
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I have not had to explain any new Rolex to anybody (except my wife) especially my new YG Day Date. Most, I'm sure don't notice nor care.
Old 6 November 2014, 10:26 PM   #11
Scot_3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1966 boyscout
You might be over thinking it a bit, bring it up in conversation, more than once, that why everyone who's opinion matters to you can be on the same page.

Last edited by Scot_3; 6 November 2014 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Way not why
Scot_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:28 PM   #12
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamiltonwa View Post
It's been 25 years since I bought the Air King and now I think I want a 141060 Sub. I never thought I could live without a date function, but now I want to try the purity of time only. I want the casual vibe of a sports watch for a change. The thick lugs were (are?) a turn off but the improvements to the movement, case, bracelet are compelling. Black face, ceramic bezel. Yeah, I'm pretty certain.

What's more, while I'm not wealthy by any means I seem to have finally got to the phase where it is coming in faster than it's going out. We all admit it's never a wise move financially, but it's a perfectly manageable dumb move if you know what I mean.

But I'm kind of embarrassed. I've worn my watch everyday and everywhere and as soon as the shiny new Sub appears on my wrist it's going to be "Hey! what? Another Rolex?" "Why?" "What was wrong the other one?" "Didn't you say you wanted a bigger apartment nearer the beach? How does this fit in with that plan?" That last one is my 85 year old mum. ( she does have point) Dad is 98 and he'll just raise an eyebrow. A Seiko was all he ever needed he has much more spare change than I've got.

But it's 25 years. I want a new watch. I am a watch geek who has fought the urge a long long time. That's okay isn't it?

Do members here ever dread the explanation to the family and friends who just don't get watches when they succumb? And don't say they won't notice, they'll notice.

Is this embarrassment my conscience or some common sense inner voice that I ignore at my peril?

Advice please!
1st stop, you deserve MORE than a pat on your back mate...

25years of restraint? You gotta be kidding me!! Easily broke most of our records around here for waiting on getting that next new piece...

So seriously, you're an adult, you've waited quarter of a century for your next rolex, I say YOU DESERVE IT!!
Wear it proudly and don't let anyone (including us) tell you that you should have done this or that instead of buying that beauty...

Enjoy it in the best of health
wdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:33 PM   #13
khyamboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16618
Buy it, Wear it, and above all enjoy it, you are only here once. Don't worry what anyone else thinks.
khyamboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:33 PM   #14
broulstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP II, DJ,PP5066
If you can afford it buy it and enjoy it.

Old 6 November 2014, 10:39 PM   #15
jhamiltonwa
"TRF" Member

All replies, gratefully received, thanks. Expat and QCA, maybe I need to deal with these inner demons before I man up. To all the others, thanks for the encouragement. If I delay it won't be for another 25 years; more like 25 days. I could be over thinking it. "Yep, I've been thinking about it for a while and I just went and did it" seems to be a good enough answer. But it's really the conversation with myself I have to have and I guess it's not quite over.

Old 6 November 2014, 10:47 PM   #16
perryj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Swatch
Just pick one up from the trusted sellers here, and tell anyone who asked about it (doubt anyone will) that you got a deal on it that you couln't pass up (which will be true if you use the sellers here)
perryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 10:55 PM   #17
red.earth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124273
I think this is a good post. I started with one just 5 years ago (a polar Explorer II)... and felt sure that's all I needed. The problem with TRF is that it normalises the idea of having many expensive watches. When I avoid TRF, my interest wanes. That's not to say I don't continue to feel happy every time I look at what's on my wrist, but I just return to what I would respectfully suggest is a healthier perspective on it's importance.

TRF "convinced" me it was "appropriate" to have a dress watch to go with my polar Explorer II, so the purchase of a 39mm Explorer was as good as inevitable. And actually, without TRF's influence I remained very happy with those 2 watches. I've loved watches for 30 years, but I really couldn't see any need whatsoever to buy another. But then I made the "mistake" of spending more time on TRF. And what happened? My perspective on what's necessary and important in life got influenced again so suddenly I had reached a perspective where buying a third expensive watch was entirely reasonable. I could afford it so why not?! Well, the obvious answer is that I don't need the black dial Explorer II (16570) I recently bought , and it would have been far wiser to leave the money in my bank account to cover future unexpected expenses - or used to pay off my mortgage earlier. If I add the mortgage interest I could have saved to the price I paid for the watch, it's suddenly become far, far more expensive... and not my wisest decision, on reflection.

Just some honest thoughts. There is no right answer, but hopefully I've offered some food for thought
red.earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:04 PM   #18
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by red.earth View Post
I think this is a good post. I started with one just 5 years ago (a polar Explorer II)... and felt sure that's all I needed. The problem with TRF is that it normalises the idea of having many expensive watches. When I avoid TRF, my interest wanes. That's not to say I don't continue to feel happy every time I look at what's on my wrist, but I just return to what I would respectfully suggest is a healthier perspective on it's importance.

TRF "convinced" me it was "appropriate" to have a dress watch to go with my polar Explorer II, so the purchase of a 39mm Explorer was as good as inevitable. And actually, without TRF's influence I remained very happy with those 2 watches. I've loved watches for 30 years, but I really couldn't see any need whatsoever to buy another. But then I made the "mistake" of spending more time on TRF. And what happened? My perspective on what's necessary and important in life got influenced again so suddenly I had reached a perspective where buying a third expensive watch was entirely reasonable. I could afford it so why not?! Well, the obvious answer is that I don't need the black dial Explorer II (16570) I recently bought , and it would have been far wiser to leave the money in my bank account to cover future unexpected expenses - or used to pay off my mortgage earlier. If I add the mortgage interest I could have saved to the price I paid for the watch, it's suddenly become far, far more expensive... and not my wisest decision, on reflection.

Just some honest thoughts. There is no right answer, but hopefully I've offered some food for thought
Really excellent post, especially that line I bolded. I'm sure a lot of members can identify with this.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:05 PM   #19
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Really excellent post, especially that line I bolded. I'm sure a lot of members can identify with this.
agreed.
Old 6 November 2014, 11:06 PM   #20
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Advice please!

Watches such as Rolex are luxury items that nobody actually needs. Luxury timepieces are purely "want" items.

That being said you should as yourself 2 questions.....

Can I afford this without neglecting any of my necessary expenses?

Do I love it when I look at it and deserve an item that brings me happiness?

If you answered yes to both of those, the opinion of others is irrelevant. Many people do not understand the premium paid for luxury items whether they be luxury watches, exotic cars, or designer clothes. When asked by your friends and family why you bought it, the answer doesn't need to be any more detailed than "I bought it because I wanted it.". Go get it, wear it with a strong sense of pride and satisfaction, and let the others who don't get it continue to wonder why as it is unimportant. At the end of the day the only person you need to make happy is you.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:14 PM   #21
Watchvirgin
Banned

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by red.earth View Post

Like an addict, you are still here!! LOL, as well all are!!

OP, get what makes you feel comfortable. If the family is not in line with your decision then you need to decided what is more important, the family or the watch on your wrist (semi joke)!?!? Good luck with the decision and am sure we will see an incoming very soon!!
Watchvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:15 PM   #22
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
My my family wouldn't notice. If they did know what I spend on watches they certainly wouldn't be negative about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:22 PM   #23
Turbo23dog
"TRF" Member

Enjoy this next phase of your Rolex journey...the hunt is as good as the get...
Turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:24 PM   #24
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
My mother noticed (for the first time in my life) my new WG Daytona. I said " my wife bought it as a present" Fortunately she did not ask the brand. She is almost 90 yrs old.

Once an office worker who was always broke noticed my Cartier and I replied, "looks real, doesn't it?" And walked away.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:28 PM   #25
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Get some long sleeve shirts...
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:28 PM   #26
jhamiltonwa
"TRF" Member

This is all really interesting and useful and both pro and con posts have been great. I can afford it, financially it's simply doable except perhaps in terms of opportunity cost for other things. I have no debt but I do have a desire to move to a new apartment in future years. But I wonder if I should ban myself from TRF for a while to see how my perspective changes. I am very fond of my Air King.

Old 6 November 2014, 11:38 PM   #27
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is all really interesting and useful and both pro and con posts have been great. I can afford it, financially it's simply doable except perhaps in terms of opportunity cost for other things. I have no debt but I do have a desire to move to a new apartment in future years. But I wonder if I should ban myself from TRF for a while to see how my perspective changes. I am very fond of my Air King.

uh-oh... this may have sealed it...
Old 6 November 2014, 11:38 PM   #28
otisc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV HULK
The no date Sub will not garner as much attention. Frankly, one of the first things a non-watch person notices on a watch is the cyclops, which is the dead giveaway that you are wearing Rolex. Without that cyclops, not nearly as many people will recognize it.

And if you are still concerned about unwanted attention, then get a Tudor sub. The look and quality is nearly identical and almost no one who isn't a watch geek knows a Tudor is a Rolex.
otisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:44 PM   #29
red.earth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124273
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdin View Post
uh-oh... this may have sealed it...
red.earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:51 PM   #30
sdiver68
"TRF" Member

I love the Tudor sub for this exact reason...you know what it is but most others do not. I regret selling my 2. Now prices on them keep climbing to the point where you ask yourself if you really want a Tudor or just stretch very slightly to the Rolex.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote