The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 May 2009, 05:00 AM   #1
Ashley
"TRF" Member

The first week of my new job is over

Well guys, I absolutely love my job. All of the girls are so young and nice, I instantly felt like I fit in.
What I do is do the pre-operation exams on patient's eyes, including topographies of their corneal tissue (to make sure they have enough for the most common surgery, and if they don't, they have to do a different one) and taking pictures of their retinas. (This is my favourite exam to do, the pictures look so cool! Here is an example: The whitish spot is the optic nerve, the dark spot is the blind-spot, which everyone has.)
I also help people the day after their exams, to gauge their acuity and get a sense of how they are healing and how good their vision is.
My boss took me out for lunch on Thursday to see how I was liking it, which was really nice. I am getting a lot of positive feedback from everyone because I am doing 98% of everything they've taught me by myself, without needing help.
I also got to watch the surgeon perform the two surgeries, which was really really interesting. I couldn't imagine being the patient, who is awake and watching as everything happens. The neatest part was when he cut the flap on the cornea so he could zap away the extra tissue with the laser. The surgeon is super nice, apparently once every few months he gets everyone in the office to stay after work on a Friday and buys everyone drinks so we can all unwind together.
Also, for employee's birthdays, we have a list set out for who will buy a cake for the birthday person. It rotates, so everyone gets a cake and everyone buys a cake. It's a neat system, I have never been in a work environment that cares about bringing its staff together in such a simple way.
(I'm going to ask for Strawberries and whipped cream, that way they can eat the whipped cream and I can just eat the strawberries )
The work day goes by so fast, it's awesome. Although I have to get up at the ungodly time of 5:45AM (compared to eight fifteen at the last job) I get off earlier, and like I said, it's so busy every day that it feels like I get off in no time!
Thanks a lot for the support guys, I really appreciate it. If any of you need laser eye surgery, come to Calgary for it and I'll get you a 10% discount!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote