The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8 December 2023, 06:38 AM   #1
KateB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK14000 & GMT16710
Iron-Blooded Daytona

Dear TRF, I hope everyone is well and enjoying the holiday season. It has been a long while since my last post and I hope to tap into the vast knowledge base of the mighty TRF community. I have locked eyes with the old Meteorite Daytona for quite a while. I know it is a quite irresponsible purchase for me, but I have seen the price of this reference keep dropping and is nearing the level that I can afford. I tried to learn more about this reference but there are very few posts about it.

Please allow me to share a little back story about why I feel so passionate about this meteorite Daytona. I used to have a 16710 GMTII that I am still deeply in love with. I, however, sold it when I fell in some very difficult time during the pandemic. I was laid off and lost my only income in late 2020. Some may call me stupid, but I did not try to look for any handouts. I kept current with my mortgage and student loans even though I was qualified for the forbearance programs. I designed some watch theme jewelry to sell online, but they were not selling. I was able to find a very low paying gig that read stories online to children that were stuck at home. I did Uber Eats delivery for a few weeks using only my bicycle, but it was too unpredictable, and I could not take care of my parents. I tried to hold off from claiming unemployment benefits as that would probably my last live line. It was a very humbling experience. When my severance pay was approaching the end and out of panic, I sold all my possessions that had some value one by one, including my beloved 16710. I kept on dreaming about getting back a real job when the pandemic is over and I made a promise to myself that I will get back a watch for myself. Thank God my prayers were answered in 2021. I was able to find a contract job although I had to endure the daily harassment from another creepy contractor. It was hard but I kept on rolling with the punches and made it out alive when I got another assignment. It is no doubt a very humiliating experience, but it let me keep my condo and my life savings and retirement and I am very grateful I did not fall in debt or be a burden to my loved ones.

The reason I am so fixated on the Meteorite Daytona was because of a client who also is a watch enthusiast. He invited me to a Zoom get together with his fellow collectors and there was a discussion about the reintroduced Meteorite in modern Rolex and how some of them prefer the “Iron-Blooded” Daytona. That was the first time I heard about the Iron-Blooded Daytona and got curious; he showed the group his meteorite collections – the old Meteorite Daytona is so beautiful. It turned into the group sharing their unyielding life stories. I couldn’t hold back my emotions when I shared my pandemic experiences and how much I want to get back my 16710. That was the first time I opened up to anyone about my experience, not even my family. Interestingly, they all think I should move on with the 16710 and find another watch to commemorate my own story. I have improved my financial situation quite a bit and I now want to make this watch my goal.

Sooo sorry for being long wind… I got too carried away with all the flashbacks… Please share your knowledge and your opinion about this Meteorite Daytona.

Thank you TRF for hearing my story and your generosity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61984b.jpg (117.2 KB, 1938 views)
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daytona , meteorite daytona