The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13 March 2024, 01:16 AM   #1
Meantime
"TRF" Member

Vintage GMT

Hi all,

Hope you enjoy the brief history of my GMT.

Model: GMT Master 1675
Year: 1960
Case: 621860 (Thin) UJIKOL
El Cornino RCG (Pointed crown guards (? - >1963))
Bracelet: 078360 oyster steel 6-6 links
Movement: Microstella 1565 calibre
Dial colour: Black

Purchased new in Singapore April 1962, and only ever serviced by Rolex. 1973 service included a new dial (Radium problem?), bracelet clasp and bezel insert. Original Pepsi 1960 Red-Back, and blue back insert (1993 service) are still in my possession. The black/silver insert was added in early 2000.

Watch has been worn continuously since date of purchase and have never owned or worn any other model of wristwatch over the last 62 years. Some time ago, the date magnification on the crystal was accidently damaged when contact with a wall distorted the lens. I followed the recommendation of one of your contributors to use “Polywatch” on the crystal which has removed the abrasion, however, a slight distortion of the numerals remains.

Following the replacement dial being fitted in 1993, I noted the illumination was less evident than before and faded completely within a short time. Also, no recommendation was made by Rolex to replace the hands which still seem to match the appearance of the other luminous features on the new dial. (?)

Only recently found your Rolex Forum website and enjoy reading the very informative and knowledgeable contributions from your Rolex owners. I’ve learned more about Rolex watches in the previous months than the last 60 odd years.

Best regards
Meantime
Meantime is offline   Reply With Quote