The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12 April 2024, 07:43 AM   #1
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

Rolex Factory Service Experience (not great)

I have inherited my fathers 4 digit (1680) Submariner Date. I have loved this watch since he got it (I was 9 years old). He took great care of it and I know he had it serviced at some point, just didn't know when.

The watch is running great, but my intent is to pass this watch to my son when I'm gone so I want to make sure it is regularly serviced.

The dial has a very faint circle where the hour hand had touched it at some point, so I was nervous that Rolex would replace the dial and keep it. For me
(if this is true) this is completely unacceptable.

So I called Rolex Service Center in TX and asked the customer service rep what was Rolex's policy on returning used parts. The gentleman told me that they have no problem returning replaced parts, but I wouldn't get a break on the price of the new dial. I have no problem with this and he sent me the mail-in form.

I called back 2 days later (and spoke to a different person) with the serial number and I wanted to see when it was serviced last. I explained the situation (death in the family etc) but the person would not tell me any details, she would not even tell me the year it was serviced, only that it had been serviced at some point and it "needed" service. I was slightly upset about this, I have the serial number and I just wanted the year of service not any personal information (even though it was my father).
I then asked her what was the policy on returning parts and she said a "evaluator" would have to take a look at it and MAYBE the dial could come back, and if I refused to have the dial changed, they would send the watch back to me untouched, because all the watches have to be to Rolex Standard when they leave the factory.
I then called back a day later (acting as my father) and they told me it had last been serviced in 2007.

Sooo...long story even longer, I took it to a local watch repair shop that has been in business in the area for 30 years and got a full service. The jeweler told me he could source a brand new (year specific) dial but it would run about $3K.
He said the watch was in beautiful condition and recommended keeping the
original dial in place (the circle caused by the rubbing is very faint.)

I understand that Rolex doesn't want all kinds of old parts out there, but if I bought the watch, everything in it is mine and If I want to old dial, they should send it back.

Meh...that's why a local guy got my money vs Rolex
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote