The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24 August 2009, 08:13 AM   #1
bobridley
TechXpert & 2024 Pledge Member

Ridley project #2 Rolex 6538

I would like to post a project that came to me which had been modified.

Older Rolex watches need special service due to aging and among these some need “things undone before things can be done”. As illustrated in a recent post, Ridley project #1, most modified watches are altered with a view of allowing the repairman to reach a goal, such as developing a means by which they can remove the case back.
I thought to bring project #2 before you because it was a little puzzling as to what the goal of the repairman was. Due to the barbaric altering of this case the modifications brought the viability of the case to a “point of no return”!
What a project… I thought to myself when approached with the needs of this older Sub.

The goal was simple; bring this older 6538 sub back into function in spite of the hurdles to be jumped and keep the original case and case back. There
was no doubt that this project was unique to my experience, however, my appetite was wetted. I looked forward to the challenge that was before me as well as the opportunity of putting a smile on my clients face.

Illustration #1 shows a top view of his case.
a. The center opening (crystal seating wall) was grinned and found to be “out of round”?????
b. The lugs had been polished down to an extreme point in contrast to the original design.

Illustration #2 & #3 are shots of the (before service) case that focus on the threads. #2 shows the case lying upside down with a view to the twelve o’clock side.
A. Interior of the dial bottom wall shows some grinding.
B. The two counter sunk holes as seen in the middle of the threads were drilled to both sides of the interior in order to install oversize case clamps.
C. #3 reveals the worn/abuse threads.

Illustration #4 is the (after service) of the case from the top view. This procedure included:
: The “gutting out” of the interior of the case just as one would have an old building “gutted” with the view of renewing the electrical and plumbing functions.
: In order to provide the crystal seating for both the crystal and bezel, we needed to turn out and insert a step cut sleeve (tube or ring) into the center. The sleeve was set, soldered, and resurfaced.
:As seen with illustration #5, we installed a threaded sleeve in order to allow a correct fit for the movement as well as for the case back to turn into.

Bob

Last edited by Tools; 5 August 2021 at 03:26 AM..
bobridley is offline   Reply With Quote