The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30 December 2009, 03:00 AM   #1
allenlau2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 116710LN
My First Rolex (SD-M series)

I must start off by thanking this forum... Without you guys, I would not have had the knowledge nor confidence to purchase a Rolex from the gray market.

After months of research mainly from TRF and various websites on how to spot fakes, I felt I was ready but I needed more. I headed over to the nearest AD and instead of peering through the window display like I normally do, I nonchalantly entered through the doors and casually nodded to the sales rep. He quickly obliged and greeted me as if I was his regular customer.. The orchestration and the finesse of the sales reps was seamless, chair pulled and tea poured (Location-HK).. I remain standing to get a good view of the display case while I slowly sip the tea. The eager sales rep remains silent as he senses my deliberation. "Do you have the Sea Dweller", I ask. He replies Deep Sea, sir? I shook me head, "no". A wide grin from ear to ear appears from his face. He explains "sir, we onni haf 1, no keep in stor, we bring 5 minute okay?" I reply "show me the Deep Sea and Sub".

Moments later the SD arrives, I'm still in awe with the size, weight and HEIGHT of the SDDS, it's enormous! I remove the SDDS from my puny wrist and he hands me the SD. Side by side, I quickly rule out the SDDS, too big although I have to agree it is an immaculate piece. I ask why the SD was not kept at the shop and the rep explains they keep additional stock elsewhere and I didn't think too much about it. I asked to see the SD certificate of authenticity and he assures me that it's genuine and it's an M series. The price quoted was HKD$47,500... I disregard his quote and rotate the bezel counter clockwise and concentrate on counting the clicks, 30 clicks in and I'm at the 9 position, good sign, I continue clicking away repositioning the pearl back to it's original position. I inspect the crown guards and unscrew the crown gently until it pops out. I give it a couple winds and pull out the crown further, at this time the rep takes the watch from my hands and begins to show me how to change the date and time while mentioning the triple lock and rubber seal.. Sensing my irritation he hands me back the watch.. After years of living and working in HK I naturally begin negotiations, bargaining and prolonging my exposure to the watch familiarizing myself with the feel and weight of the watch. (knowing I will not buy the watch now). Final discount was only 4% by cash.. I slip on the SD once more and admire the beauty...

Needless to say, I had left the sales rep hanging, I call up the gray market acquaintance that I know and make an appointment.. Soon after, I was checking the laser etched crown (with loupe) and the serial number against the card I had the SD on my wrist after closing the deal at HKD$37,500. He even let me take the watch without any transaction, he simply gave me his bank account number and asked me to make the deposit..

The SD was brand new with the plastic protection and came with the certificate card (M series from Australia), bezel guard, both tags, divers extension, tool kit with submariner instruction booklet. No box though, would have been nice to have but I was satisfied with just authenticity card and the watch of course...

I keep on wondering if the AD would buy back the watch from the gray market, so to speak and sell it through the store again. He would make a pretty good margin....

All in all, I'm really enjoying this watch and cant stop looking at it..

Thanks for reading...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD1.jpg (103.9 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg SD2.jpg (135.7 KB, 860 views)
File Type: jpg SD3.jpg (116.5 KB, 852 views)
File Type: jpg SD4.jpg (115.0 KB, 848 views)
allenlau2000 is offline   Reply With Quote