The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22 July 2011, 01:07 AM   #1
CMT
"TRF" Member

Hello all! I was going to put up some pics of my LNIB 16613 in this preexisting thread but by the time I was finished the post had grown large enough to warrant its own space.

I picked my M serial up from a good friend's father who bought it in 2008, put it on once and then put it back in the box. It came to me with the protective wrap still on the clasp and one very small bracelet pockmark that easily polished out.

I couldn't be happier. I have wanted this watch since 1988 when I chose a 2-tone 16234 with champagne Tapestry Dial over the 2-tone blue dial Submariner. I traded my first Rolex, a Submariner 16800, for the 16234 and I always second guessed the choice, however I currently have a SS DJ to complement the TT Sub so my Rolex needs (but hardly desires) are filled for now.

In the days leading up to my wedding, my Best Man (a friend close enough to truly be considered family) allowed me to enjoy two of his modern Rolexes, a new Daytona and also a GMT II-C. I fell back in love with the Oyster bracelet, especially that awesome new clasp, and was on the hunt for a II-C for myself before the 16613 presented itself as an option.

Aside: I introduced my Best Man to this forum a few years ago, and he's since become a regular poster with a watch collection that dwarfs mine in number and substance.

Its magnificent price and perfect condition made this 16613 a no-brainer, but again I found myself second guessing the choice. I have always loved the blue hue they chose for this piece, enough so that I would always stalk people out in the wild to get a better look at their 16613s in varying light conditions, and I also figured that if I decided that I needed the GMT II-C I could always flip the 16613 for substantially more than I paid and get the watch I "wanted."

This will never, ever happen. I have now worn the 16613 for the last 3 weeks during my Italian honeymoon and there's just no describing my affinity for this watch. Finally owning one is akin to placing the last piece into the jigsaw puzzle of my personal horological history, and while I still appreciate the same modern Rolexes that I have always admired, the 16613 and I will be inseparable for a very long time. I wore my PAM 112 exclusively for a full two years before reaching for something else when I dressed in the morning and I suspect that the same will be true for the beautiful blue-dialed masterpiece that's on my wrist right now.

Pics from Italy:

Driving our rented Fiat Panda, a novelty I thoroughly enjoyed.

At Viareggio Beach, about a half hour from our Tuscan hotel:

In Rome overlooking the ruins of the Roman Forum:

And, finally, pictures from the car ride home to Connecticut from the airport. A friend showed up with a gigantic 67 Caddillac convertible that he finally got running. It had been bequeathed to him by his Grandmother, and finally basking in its behemoth magnificence after two years of sporadic repair was the perfect end to a perfect honeymoon.

If you've read this far, thank you for your patience. I know it's a lot of reading just to show pictures of a watch, but I know I'm not alone when I honestly say that the 16613 is more than a watch to me. It's a milestone achievement to finally have a 16613 of my own, and in case I haven't been clear, I love it. I absolutely love it. I find it to be one of, if not the most beautiful piece Rolex has ever put out and I still get hit with a shot of glowing warmth when I look down to check the time. Or look down just to see it. And stare at it. It is....precious to me. [/tolkien]

Final shots:

Thanks for checking out the thread!
CMT is offline   Reply With Quote