The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14 August 2011, 06:30 AM   #1
psv
2024 Pledge Member

Growing up a bit (new delivery, AP gold)

After having having used, almost exclusively, stainless steel dive watches for 20 years, the last 12 months I've started exploring a proper dress watch. At the same time, I feel that true dress watches such as ultra thins, too many complications etc are not really for me. I want something that is a bit simple, elegant and a tad sporty, at least a bit water proof to handle an unexpected dip in the water and one that is practical to use. I started looking at gold, e.g. some type of gold version of one of the Rolex watches I've been using for 15 years, but I find them often be a bit too yellow sometimes for my tastes and then I also really like the combo of gold on a leather strap, which further limited my Rolex choices.

Before vacation a couple of weeks ago I had the chance to see a AP Royal Oak 15300OR at an AD for the first time and I was smitten by the design, appearance and comfort. It felt much more distinguished and mature than all the various divers I use, even the vintage ones. Then there was the beauty of the 3120 movement. The contrast between the rose gold and the brown croc strap. The combination of the rose gold with a silver/white guilloche dial evoked positiveness and happiness. That experience, in combination with a growing appreciation of the Audemars Piguet house and the Royal Oak series, made me think this might be the one to get.

A European vacation later (which included a visit to the AP Boutique in Madrid, Spain) and after some back and forward I finally managed find one that fit the bill, et voila, this arrived on my doorstep today.

It is a bit too early to commit completely to it, but I'm really looking forward to the honeymoon of this watch, which might very well last a long time. It is not a piece I'll wear every day but rather on special occasions, or perhaps when one needs to be cheered up.

It definitely feels like I've grown up a bit with this watch in my collection.

Cheers,

Patrick
psv is offline   Reply With Quote