The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19 October 2007, 01:58 AM   #1
Mike734
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Routine service

I had my '91 GMT II undergo routine service 3 years ago. Since I bought it in '93, it had been 10 years so I figured it was time. Ben Bridge in Portland did the work for $495. About one month later I picked up the watch and was disappointed to see a finger print on the 24 hour hand. The store manager agreed this was unacceptable and replaced the all the hands. According to the jeweler he replaced the reverser in the automatic module, the set bridge in the setting mechanism and by my request, made the hands line up better on the hour. (It had always been a few minutes off at the top of each hour)

Now 3 years later my watch is making a vibrating noise/feeling when the rotor turns. I can make it happen by trying to swing the rotor by flicking my wrist. Reluctantly I took it in for service. The technician said the reverser have worn excessively and have released some "powder" which causes wear and noise when the rotor moves.

I was ready to hear the damage but was pleasantly surprised to hear the technician say he would fix it for parts only. ($90). When I expressed surprise that the reverser were already worn having been replaced only 3 years prior, he agreed that was wrong and agreed to replace them for free. Since I'm "saving" money, I'm getting a new crystal and bezel (The color had all but disappeared).

My questions: WTF is up with the reverser going bad after 3 years? Do you think the "powder" from the worn reverser had caused permanent damage to the rotor bearing? Do you think he is doing the work for free because it is obvious the previous tech made some blatant mistakes? I'm very happy with the level of service I am now receiving but can't help being a little suspicious that something is not kosher.
Mike734 is offline   Reply With Quote