The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30 December 2007, 07:21 AM   #1
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Submariner 14060M

My 14060M Sub Review

It has been about over 2 months since I purchased my Rolex Submariner 14060M, otherwise known to the unwashed masses as the “Sub ND”. I feel that I have knocked it against enough doorknobs to write an intelligent watch review.

The Sub serves potentially two purposes in my collection. It will either be the fanciest, most expensive watch I own, or it will be the “beater” in a more extensive collection of tool watches. I am not a WIS, I don’t appreciate decorated movements, complications or rarity. Much like my home, vehicle and most of my clothing, I prefer a watch for its utilitarian value.

The Sub suits my watch use habits very well. I grew up around the water near Annapolis, MD. More often than not I could be found sailing, swimming, waterskiing or flying with my Dad. Sailing for me was a particularly wet sport, as I owned a small catamaran and was dumped in the Severn River quite often. Many times righting the boat involved taking a deep breath, following the mast down 20+ feet to the bottom and freeing it from the mud. The Sub is a great watch for my lifestyle. I don’t like to have to take it off to jump in the ocean or a pool. That’s how Buzz Aldrin lost his Speedy. The safest place for my watch is on my wrist, therefore the watch needs to be tough enough to go nearly anywhere. While any Rolex Oyster could easily handle this lifestyle, the Sub is the best combo of durability and looks (for me).

One great “Tool Watch” qualification of the 14060M is that it, along with its cousin the Sea-Dweller, is made only in Stainless Steel. Oddly, Rolex manages to polish just the right surfaces to catch the light in a way that one normally sees on chrome. The glint from the top of the coin-edge bezel, case sides and crown grooves make what was a lump of stainless steel shine like a diamond. This makes it one of the few watches with the ability to dress up or down as far as one needs.

Much has been written about the Rolex Oyster bracelet. Rolex has improved it on many of the newer models, but the 14060M retains the old non-SEL standard bracelet. It feels like something from a bad knock-off, but history talks. This bracelet has “been there, done that and bought the T-shirt”. Still, it compares well to most of the other SS bracelets I’ve seen. The ability to take a piece of Scotch-Brite to the brushed surfaces is priceless. Recently I noticed some desk-diver rub marks on the 12 o’clock side of the bracelet. I hit it with some lemon Palmolive and a Scotch-Brite pad and it’s as good as new. Try that with a polished center-link.

The 14060M is often overlooked because of the lack of a date feature. My wife remarked the other day that she uses the date function on her Datejust more than the time. Unfortunately, I’m the guy who has to adjust the date every other month or after two days in the jewelry box. While I wouldn’t mind upgrading to a Sea-Dweller, not having to babysit the date is a plus for me.

For me, the 14060M is the modern version of the classic Submariner. The history behind this watch is amazing. I’m glad to own it and “buyer’s remorse” has never been a factor. Anyone who aspires to own several Rolex models should consider the 14060M as the foundation of their collection.

Ed Rooney
12/29/2007
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02542.jpg (45.7 KB, 8431 views)
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
14060m