The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9 September 2013, 02:40 AM   #11
salty_snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
The Dummy emoticon is a bit much I would say...

I will concede that the 'lack of technology' statement was hyperbole..but I stand by my statement that Rolex's rise during the Quartz crisis Was NOT an intentional strategic move.

Fact is, the Beta 21 which was THE movement for Swiss Quartz, and to which Omega contributed, and likely on which Omega spent a fortune, along with many other swiss houses that perished.

Rolex was initially involved, but couldn't easily put the Beta 21 into the Rolex Oyster case ...(you can find some Rare Rolex Betas in at auction) , so Rolex started focussing on their own 'in-house Quartz' but that one was fairly late to the Party - (1977) and was an Expensive endeavor for Rolex, and if you look at the numbers of production - very limited...

Just imagine if the Beta 21 would have fit into an Oyster case...
They may have gone down the same road as so many others...

The fact that it took Rolex an added 5 yrs of research and Development to release the OysterQuartz suggests that they did not have at their disposal the same technologies as the Swiss watch 'Cartel' that funded the Beta 21 which was out in 1970...

I'm sure that there are inaccuracies in the above statements - and feel free to analyze with the scrutiny of a prosecuting attorney...

Just, if you please, try not to call me a dummy. I think that kind of thing betrays the civility of this forum.. We're all here because we have something in common...Lively debates such as Rolex vs Omega shouldn't turn ugly..

This is wealthy individuals debating over luxury goods that are all ridiculously overpriced....like someone said..the Casio beats all on every merit..

This whole hobby is laughable, so please try to be in on the joke..
How in the hell did this thread about the sub vs PO become a debate whether rolex was on the frontier of the quartz crisis???? Who cares, quartz sucks, and we all know most people who sing the praises of the PO, or any middle of the road luxury watch really, and trash another competitor for no good reason at all are just insecure children.

And let's just be honest. Rolex and omega don't make these watches for divers anymore. Which is why it's dumb that the PO is so overbuilt to have a 600 m rating simply so that some fool will think he's really special because his dive watch can go down 600 m and will never go more than to the bottom of a swimming pool once... if that.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote