The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1 February 2014, 03:52 PM   #1
duc848

Experience with Tourneau.com

This is a quick and honest review of my recent experience with Tourneau.com. Hopefully, this post will inform anyone who is or has considered buying a pre-owned watch online from Tourneau. It's not my intent to start a debate on where or how to buy a watch online.

Between Christmas and New Years of this year, Tourneau offered 10% off pre-owned watches. I decided to buy a D-series (1991) stainless steel 16610 Sub in "great condition". The pictures, although limited, looked great, and the tritium dial markers had a nice yellow patina. Although the price was slightly higher than similar models found here and elsewhere online, I figured buying from a large company like Tourneau offered peace of mind that the watch is legitimate and of good quality.

Upon arrival, the first thing I noticed were the replacement hands. The dial markers had a wonderful patina, but all hands and the pearl where bright white. It looked mismatched and absolutely terrible. The watch description said nothing about replacement parts, and the resolution of the photo's online did not show this either.

The next big complaint was the condition of the bracelet. I expected some stretch and slop due to the fact this was a 23 year old watch, but this thing was literally falling apart. Several of the links were so stretched the outer links were separating from the inner link. The end links had significant side-to-side movement within the lugs of the case, and the spring bars where visibly bent. The other issue was the amount of brushing done to remove scratches and wear marks. The clasp was brushed so heavily that the crown was nearly removed and only visible at an angle with the right light reflecting off it.

If this isn't enough, the final straw was the bracelet actually broke while I took the watch off my wrist. A pin between the 2 clasp pieces broke or fell out.

I promptly called Customer Service to ask for a refund. The woman I spoke to was sympathetic and understanding. The next day I received via emailed the return postage (next day and insured) and I sent it out the same day. It took about 5 days and two phone calls but I received a full refund.

To make a long story short, I feel more could have and should have been disclosed by Tourneau in regards to the condition. Someone, whether Tourneau or the previous owner, went to great lengths to make this watch look like it was in great condition. However, the physical condition was completely unacceptable for the sale price. As a buyer, this experience had made me feel duped by Tourneau and I will never buy from or recommend Tourneau to anyone.
duc848 is offline   Reply With Quote