The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13 March 2018, 12:26 AM   #1
maxiboy60
"TRF" Member

114270 Explorer vs 11610

Back in November 2016 I acquired a 2008 V serial 114270. This was my second Rolex, having bought a M serial 11610 Submariner in 2008 Below are my thoughts on the watch, with some comparison made to my Sub. Technical observations I will leave to those more qualified that me, but they have practically the same movement, but the Sub has a date wheel and therefore a new ref.

Why the 114270?

Being a huge James Bond fan the first Rolex had to be a Submariner, and a collection of NATOs were purchased not long after to recreate that Sean Connery look. But even then the Explorer appealed to me. I have always like the Explorer for its simplicity. I view it as a hybrid, part sports watch, part dress watch. I am also a fan of the GMT and the Daytona, but in the former is too similar to the Sub and the latter too expensive. I admire the DJ, but prefer the versatility of the Explorer. It looks great under a tough jacket going on a walk through the woods, and at the same time looking great under a shirt cuff. In an ideal world I would be writing up a review of the 1016 Explorer, but sadly the price of these beauty's is far beyond my budget.

I did try on a 'short hands' 39mm Explorer last year, but the step in size was noticeable. I didn't hate it per say (apart from the polished numerals - too dressy), but the increase in size gave it similar wrist presence to my existing Submariner. It is also a good 30% more expensive that a pre-owned 36mm. After 2 years of obsessing over an Explorer, and settling on the 36mm version, I managed to acquire a 114270 with 5 months remaining on its RSC warranty for £3,760.

Initial Thoughts

After wearing a 40mm Tag Heuer Link Chrono for the last 12 years, and a 40mm Sub since 2008, the 36mm did take a while to get used to, but I absolutely love it. It sets it apart from my Sub, and indeed many of the watches I see around London and my place of work. On a watch like this 36mm is all you need, and it has a lovely profile on my wrist with the 78960 bracelet that has a slimmer profile than the 93150 Sub bracelet with the divers extension.

The inky black dial is absolutely gorgeous, and I love its no nonsense look. Watches that just tell the time will no longer be underestimated by me any longer! It’s just so easy, and a welcome change from my Tag which has a very busy dial, and the Sub with its date bubble that can sometimes distract. The arabic numbers are well proportioned, but I wish they were more in keeping with the style and font of the 1016 numbers. And as a bit of a lume fiend I wish they were filled with some lovely green stuff. This has now been corrected on the 39mm Explorer, but I still think the proportions don’t quite work in the 39mm size, despite the elongated hands.

vs 16610

One of my main concerns with purchasing the Explorer was that it was too similar to my Sub. Same brand, same oyster bracelet style, black face, same mercedes hands. All a bit similar, especially to part with £3,760 for. Thankfully I can report that this is not case at all. Anyway since when was one Rolex enough?! The Explorer has a completely different look, despite the similarities listed above.

When I want a chunky sports watch I strap on the Sub. When i'm at work I tend to strap on the Explorer. I find it is less in your face than the Sub, and it fits much better under a shirt cuff. I also work in finance in London, and I must see at least 3-4 Subs on peoples wrists per day, so the less popular Explorer makes a nice change. But the great thing is that by having both, I can immediately appreciate their respective differences when I change them over. I never considered this before my purchase, but in adding another Rolex to my collection I have fallen in love with the Explorer, but also fallen deeper in love with my Sub. To have both is absolutely fantastic, and I am incredibly fortunate that I have the means to own both.

Overall
To those that love the Explorer, I urge you to try the 36mm - it could be for you despite what you may think about the size. To those that are contemplating a second Rolex - you must do it. You will find your appreciation of both watches can only get higher.
maxiboy60 is offline   Reply With Quote