ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26 July 2019, 08:56 AM   #1
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

First Rolex - Advice Wanted

Hey folks

Looking to acquire my first Rolex, but struggling on which model to go for...

Having trimmed my collection down to 3 watches including an Omega SMP (daily), an SKX (beater) and a G-Shock (gym) - I had my mind set on the Oyster Perpetual 116000 in black, the 36mm. I thought this would be a great addition to the collection to add some diversity. It would provide something to regularly wear in rotation, but also be more suited formal/dressy occasions when compared with the SMP. My conversations with an AD led me to believe this could be acquired within 0-3 months which suited my timing (Q4 2019) and was within budget.

I recently visited an AD, and whilst they didn't have the model in stock which I wanted, they had a DJ 36mm which I tried for size. Although very different, the sales rep said this would give me a good idea of how the OP would wear. The watch felt very small and the rep recommended I'd be better with the 39mm when looking for the OP. Unfortunately, there wasn't a model in this size to try at the time of my visit.

Moving away from the 36mm to a 39mm wasn't something I had previously envisaged. Now the larger size will likely be a better route for me, I am also considering the Explorer. For a little extra cash when compared to the OP39, I think the proposition offered by the Explorer (preferred dial, lume, clasp) is better value. I also think this model will still compliment my now reduced collection, and add something better suited for the rare formal settings. Drawbacks to this option are the fact the cost is slightly over my original budget, plus the additional wait time until the watch is available.

This then got me onto thinking that whilst I am increasing my budget, and moving away from the model I originally wanted, should I just look to acquire a Sub (no date) which is my current grail watch. I had planned on picking one of these up in a few years, but had wanted to diversify my collection a little before I did. Although this is a grail for me, it would be another extension to my budget, a longer wait time, and wouldn't add as much diversity.

Has anyone experience with any/a combination of/all of the models mentioned above - if so, what were your experiences, and what would your recommendation be?

Likewise, has anyone had their heart set on a model which wasn't quite right in the flesh? What did you do?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-07-25 at 22.42.04-min.png (143.4 KB, 83 views)
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote