The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 August 2009, 10:04 AM   #1
kerrison

Watch: Rolex DateJust
Does anybody knows about the Speedmaster Reduced?

Hi!

I have been looking around the internet and doing some searches for my next Omega watch, and I came across this:

It is the Ladies Omega Speedmaster Reduced and it looks like a really lovely watch. However it does not seems to have a lot of information out there about this particular model, and I wonder if someone can tell me more about it? I have read that the movement of the Reduced is quite hard to repair even by experienced watchmakers.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: gif 35347200.gif (50.6 KB, 495 views)
kerrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Robertf

Watch: ND Submariner
Can't tell you much about the movement, all I know is that it is a bought in movement (possibly ETA) with a piggybacked chrono module. If you look side on you can see the 2 pushers on a reduced are not exactly in line with the crown, they are a bit higher (up toward the crystal).

I have had mine for 11 years, never missed a beat, but I had it serviced about 3 years ago when it started to lose a little more time than previously.

I am sure you will find loads of info on www.chronomaddox.com
Robertf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 10:12 PM   #3
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
WOW! Thanks for the Maddox link, Robert! Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2009, 11:57 PM   #4
Robertf

Fantastic resource if you are into omegas. I lost a few afternoons when I first discovered it!
Old 7 August 2009, 01:21 AM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Great site, indeed!

Kerrison, you should have no issues at all with this watch! Just be careful with the crown and pushers if ever in water for any reason is all. The movement as stated above is an ETA base, nothing over the top complex so any competant watch maker should be able to fix this movement, indeed. Omega makes a great watch, just as ETA makes fantastic, time proven movements (Swatch ownes ETA now also as with Omega and others). Great choice in a next watch for sure, hope you can get one asap!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 02:20 AM   #6
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Hello there!

Speedmaster reduced is one wonderful watch, both in terms of reliability and style.
I had few models from mid-nineties Schumacher series, and I was very pleased with them...
The movement inside is very solid ETA 2892-2, with Dubois-Depraz chronograph module.
My advice is to go for it, it`s very nice watch for reasonable price!
All the best!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 03:04 AM   #7
kerrison

Thank you for everyone's replies and advice! I will keep looking around while saving my pennies........ I think it's going to be either the Speedmaster Reduced or the midsize Seamaster. Arrrr, this is not getting any easier, is it?
Old 7 August 2009, 03:15 AM   #8
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

No it will not! Trust me, speaking from experience here. The Omega line is so nice you might end up with one you never planned to buy before and be happier than ever with it. This same deal happend to me when looking for my 3rd watch, ended up with a Planet Ocean and was never too into them before but now....

Main thing to keep in mind is, things can change with time as you save and look so keep and open mind and remember it is a win win no matter what you pick from the Omega line. If you a water person, who swims, woudl shower in the watch sometimes or just getting it wet washing the car or whatever (like me) it would be nice to have the added protection of a screw down crown like the Seamaster line.
Old 7 August 2009, 04:32 AM   #9
Tri-National-Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND/D/LV
One thing to bear in mind is that some Speedmaster reduced watches (3510.50.00) have snap on case backs and not screw down ones..Makes them less watertight..Just a thought..
Tri-National-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 06:00 AM   #10
achova
"TRF" Member

Watch: it vary.
Speedmaster reduced + Seamaster chrono

chronomaddox is a great site - another good place for vintage Omega info is Omega's own museum / historical site http://www.omegawatches.com/cu_vintage/. You'll have to register, but there are specs for many older watches and you can look up by movement, series, etc.

Here is a photo of my Speedmaster Reduced (175.0032) along with my recently acquired Seamaster chronograph (105.005) cal. 321 shared with the original Speedmaster Professional.

Old 7 August 2009, 06:27 AM   #11
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I bought a Speedy reduced (3510.50) in Dec 2006. It started to run faster and faster after approx 6-8 months, up to 1 minute faster per day. Took it to Omega service here in MElbourne and waited 6 weeks. They fixed it as per warranty. However, after another several months, the small dial at 6 o'clock started to misalign, see this picture:

and by the time I discovered this problem it's already out of the 2 years warranty.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2009, 04:49 PM   #12
kerrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
I bought a Speedy reduced (3510.50) in Dec 2006. It started to run faster and faster after approx 6-8 months, up to 1 minute faster per day. Took it to Omega service here in MElbourne and waited 6 weeks. They fixed it as per warranty. However, after another several months, the small dial at 6 o'clock started to misalign, see this picture:

and by the time I discovered this problem it's already out of the 2 years warranty.
Thank you for your info, I am sorry for the problems you encountered with your Reduced--it is a very very cool and good looking watch despite all that!

I am still searching all round and the Seamaster that got my attention is the Seamaster (Non-Bond) midsize. I have tried the blue Bond version midsize just to see how it sits on my wrist and it is about as big as my 5.5" wrist would take without getting too much.

I just wonder if it would look too 'manly' for me, although I am quite active and not the girly type and I am looking for a sport-orientated-type watch. I know I can get the Ladies (28mm) version but I do not want a quatz watch--I am hooked and appreciate the mech movement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new2sm.jpg (40.9 KB, 430 views)
Old 8 August 2009, 12:54 AM   #13
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Nice to see that you appreciate the mechanical watches! I think it would look ok on you, just try them on a few more times before the day comes and by then i'm sure you will have decided. Everything should fall into place nicely
Old 9 August 2009, 12:46 AM   #14
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Here are the photos of the two I owned not so long ago.
I really love those reduced fellows!
Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mnjau 989.jpg (65.1 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg mnjau 985.jpg (78.6 KB, 415 views)
Old 12 August 2009, 05:29 PM   #15
DaveInLA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukotab View Post
Hello there!

Speedmaster reduced is one wonderful watch, both in terms of reliability and style.
I had few models from mid-nineties Schumacher series, and I was very pleased with them...
The movement inside is very solid ETA 2892-2, with Dubois-Depraz chronograph module.
My advice is to go for it, it`s very nice watch for reasonable price!
All the best!
I believe the movement is actually the ETA 2894, which is derived from the 2892. One thing to keep in mind-- the watch itself isn't very expensive (relatively speaking), but that chrono module is very expensive to service.
Old 12 August 2009, 09:32 PM   #16
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I believe the movement is actually the ETA 2894, which is derived from the 2892. One thing to keep in mind-- the watch itself isn't very expensive (relatively speaking), but that chrono module is very expensive to service.
I think you`re right, thanks for the info!
Old 13 August 2009, 12:23 AM   #17
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukotab View Post
Here are the photos of the two I owned not so long ago.
I really love those reduced fellows!
Enjoy!
those are some amazing versions you got...I like the speedmasters and the reduced too...those versions are some I had never seen...I am not a big fan of colored watch faces but those I dig (especially the yelloe hour and minute hands in the yelloe version are sooo cool)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 01:44 AM   #18
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I can't recommend them simply due to the fact that to keep the cost down they fitted it with a Dubois Depraz tri-compax chrono module, which (like mentioned earlier) is a piggy backed on a ETA movement.

They are both reliable movements, but the modular design makes for one complicated design which is not cost effective to service.
Should it need regular service or repair, the module has to be replaced as repairing it would cost you a fortune.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 05:24 AM   #19
kerrison

I saw a Ladies Speedmaster Reduced on eBay, item no. 220465522747

Everything looks good and the seller has been responding sensibly to my questions. The thing that is holding me back is the question of reliability and service of the movement. In this case, it is the Omega 3220 Caliber. I wonder what are my forum friends' opinions on this?
Old 13 August 2009, 05:37 AM   #20
kerrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRdude View Post
I can't recommend them simply due to the fact that to keep the cost down they fitted it with a Dubois Depraz tri-compax chrono module, which (like mentioned earlier) is a piggy backed on a ETA movement.

Should it need regular service or repair, the module has to be replaced as repairing it would cost you a fortune.
Just did a bit of google on the 3220, and I got it now, the 3220 is based on the ETA 2892-A2. Based on what everyone is saying it sounds like it is perhaps not as relaible and expensive to repair/service should things go wrong? I certainly don't want to worry about the reliability of the watch and if this seems to be the case maybe I should thinking not be bothered with it?
Old 13 August 2009, 07:28 AM   #21
Robertf

Had mine for 11 years. All OK, but it did start to run fast after 8 years without service. Had it serviced at Omega AD for £199 all inc. Great repolish, looks new, and runs great.

Just my experience, but I see no problems.
Old 13 August 2009, 08:08 AM   #22
achova
"TRF" Member

Watch: it vary.
I picked up my 2-tone Speedmaster automatic 2nd hand. Prior owner purchased in the late 80's and never had it serviced. It's kept good time however power reserve was down to <24 hours so I took it to my local Omega service center (Nesbit's) for an overhaul this week. $500 flat-rate - Omega pricing - overhaul, new pushers, new crystal and case polish. Would be a few $$ higher if on a bracelet. Should have it back in ~2 weeks.

Adam
Old 22 August 2009, 02:48 AM   #23
coupe
"TRF" Member

I got one last year...I think it's a late 80's model (snap-on caseback).

I like the "technical" look of the reduced. Reminds me of a vintage racecar or aircraft gauge cluster. Like others stated, they seem to speed up a little when needing service...that's what mine does. I have seen the entire movement (the ETA with the D.D. chrono module) on ofrei and I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's easier to just replace than to "fix" but don't quote me.

I think the reduced looks good and the prices are definitely right for a "daily" wearer.

Old 22 August 2009, 03:01 AM   #24
coupe
"TRF" Member

It was on Maddox's site where I read about just replacing instead of servicing:

Quote:
… I've heard privately from several different people who have talked to watchmakers that the chronograph module in the reduced is a exceedingly difficult one to service... The time module, which is essentially a SeMP (non-chronograph) movement is is not at issue, however the word on the internet is that the chronograph module is nearly impossible to service or adjust for even the most technically adept watchmakers who speed though other common Omega Movements (c.321, c.x86x, c.1040, c.1041, c.1045, 7750's, etc.)... At least one watchmaker is known to just mail the chronograph module to Bienne and ask for a new module complete, which Omega will send, no questions asked, for a cost of around $140 US. Apparenly it is significantly less hassle to pay that cost than to work to repair the module. Hence it is wise to consider this potentiality when purchasing a watch. Many watchmakers will do a clean/lube and general adjustment for $100~150 or so... If a chronograph module is necessary then the parts cost alone has just increased by $140 or so.
Old 30 July 2010, 08:08 PM   #25
phelix_da_kat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520
Hi,
I just picked up a Speedy Reduced - great condition - from Japan.

It is a few years old, but I was looking for a "parts list" as I wanted to change the dial when I eventually get it serviced.

Can anyone point me to a parts list for the different dials, so I can look to source a replacement please? Looking for a white or panda.

Thanks
phelix_da_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2010, 08:40 PM   #26
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phelix_da_kat View Post
Hi,
I just picked up a Speedy Reduced - great condition - from Japan.

It is a few years old, but I was looking for a "parts list" as I wanted to change the dial when I eventually get it serviced.

Can anyone point me to a parts list for the different dials, so I can look to source a replacement please? Looking for a white or panda.

Thanks
this place gets alot of WIS business, have never bought anything from them, but have heard great comments.

http://www.ofrei.com/page665.html

probably a good idea to email them if you can find anything suitable?

hope this helps.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2010, 09:16 PM   #27
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrison View Post
Hi!

I have been looking around the internet and doing some searches for my next Omega watch, and I came across this:

It is the Ladies Omega Speedmaster Reduced and it looks like a really lovely watch. However it does not seems to have a lot of information out there about this particular model, and I wonder if someone can tell me more about it? I have read that the movement of the Reduced is quite hard to repair even by experienced watchmakers.

Thanks!
I have had a 3513.50 for a few years. Great looking watch, though I favor my Chronodiver a bit more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4331.jpg (26.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4339.jpg (28.7 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4332.jpg (24.2 KB, 199 views)
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 01:55 AM   #28
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

here is mine..had it serviced a couple years ago..

my usual daily beater as its a bit understated compared to my other pieces..

and its accurate and comfortable...

Service was around $500USD...and that was the first time in 11 years...

Old 31 July 2010, 09:43 AM   #29
phelix_da_kat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
this place gets alot of WIS business, have never bought anything from them, but have heard great comments.

http://www.ofrei.com/page665.html

probably a good idea to email them if you can find anything suitable?

hope this helps.
Hi Eric..
I found the Speedy Reduced dials..
http://www.ofrei.com/page1394.html
At the moment they only offer the regular black.
I also check Cousins UK, but no one currently offers an alternative apart from black.

I was thinking of going to a dealer, but they wanted a part number.

Do you know of any other sources please?
Thanks mate..
phelix_da_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 10:33 AM   #30
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phelix_da_kat View Post
Hi Eric..
I found the Speedy Reduced dials..
http://www.ofrei.com/page1394.html
At the moment they only offer the regular black.
I also check Cousins UK, but no one currently offers an alternative apart from black.

I was thinking of going to a dealer, but they wanted a part number.

Do you know of any other sources please?
Thanks mate..
sorry mate - i dont know of any other aftermarket places for the Omega dial you are after.

i dont think i have seen a white/panda speedy reduced dial though.... (not including the ladies versions).

check out some Japanese sites, i know sometimes they have a Jap Special Edition Speedies with special dial options. most of them are Speedy Pros.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote