The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 December 2019, 07:45 PM   #1
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Blue Camo Vs. Platinum ROO

My buddy's getting a bug for a ROO and I've yet to dip my toe into the waters of AP but am also warming to the idea.

The blue camo may have more blue than I might care for so the black bezel tones it down, it's platinum and the added heft would be a plus so...

What I was wondering from the grizzled vets of AP ownership:

Given the secondary market pricing on the blue camo at high 30s, would it make sense to spend the extra ~30% and getting the platinum reference? Are there downsides to be considered? Appreciate any and all input.

Disclaimer: I realize it comes down to personal preference, getting the watch you like the most/sings to you, it's your money, I need to try it on, strangers on the internet are evil etc.

I am simply hoping to hear my fellow wis' take on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image-asset.jpeg (217.1 KB, 346 views)
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Jp28
"TRF" Member

Go for the Pt.
Absolutely no down sides for me so far. Weight is a non issue if that was to come up.
It is very flexible on straps (much more than the blue camo version as the blue bezel limits options a bit) and then there is the upside of the Pt stealth :)
Since I got mine in early aug, I have worn nothing else !!!
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:08 PM   #3
GS93108
"TRF" Member

The only real thing that makes these two watches 'similar' is that they are blue.
I recently went through the exact same decision process. Having worn heavy gold variants of the Offshores for many years I really wanted something lighter, but was still drawn to the PT.
In the end I went Camo, 99% because of the weight. There is no doubt the PT is an awesome watch and if I wasn't looking for a watch to use/abuse on a daily basis then I'd have gone that route.
There are several owners on here of the PT that will tell you they use theirs daily and have no such concerns as mine, thus it all comes down to personal preference.
In a few years time the PT will still be king of the hill. Where will the Camo be? another fad or maybe a classic in its own right?
Both great. Pick one. Enjoy.
p.s.
The Camo is LOUD when it's wearing its camo strap, but I actually think it loses a lot of its obnoxiousness when on plain straps. So it's not quite as much of a 'toy' rather than a serious watch as I first anticipated.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:12 PM   #4
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
Go for the Pt.
Absolutely no down sides for me so far. Weight is a non issue if that was to come up.
It is very flexible on straps (much more than the blue camo version as the blue bezel limits options a bit) and then there is the upside of the Pt stealth :)
Since I got mine in early aug, I have worn nothing else !!!
Thanks for your input and personally, I dig the heft. Also, good to hear that it's been a daily wearer for awhile and hasn't lost its luster or been uncomfortable in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
The only real thing that makes these two watches 'similar' is that they are blue.
I recently went through the exact same decision process. Having worn heavy gold variants of the Offshores for many years I really wanted something lighter, but was still drawn to the PT.
In the end I went Camo, 99% because of the weight. There is no doubt the PT is an awesome watch and if I wasn't looking for a watch to use/abuse on a daily basis then I'd have gone that route.
There are several owners on here of the PT that will tell you they use theirs daily and have no such concerns as mine, thus it all comes down to personal preference.
In a few years time the PT will still be king of the hill. Where will the Camo be? another fad or maybe a classic in its own right?
Both great. Pick one. Enjoy.
p.s.
The Camo is LOUD when it's wearing its camo strap, but I actually think it loses a lot of its obnoxiousness when on plain straps. So it's not quite as much of a 'toy' rather than a serious watch as I first anticipated.
Thanks for this. Makes sense re: your desire for something a little lighter and I would think that blue camo would look a lot better on a solid colored strap. Appreciate the input.
Old 28 December 2019, 03:22 AM   #5
galarza2073
2024 Pledge Member

i think these 44mm (48mm really)

are slowly going out of style, IMO (and a dumb one I am sure)

but of these two, I agree with everyone else...Pt is the way to go here!
galarza2073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 03:33 AM   #6
Gravity
"TRF" Member

I would go for the PT as well but you might also want to pause a but and see what comes out for 2020.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 03:56 AM   #7
GS93108
"TRF" Member

There's another factor to consider as well, the PT can be picked up as NOS for a discount on its retail price whereas the Camo is most likely only available at list price or more.

If as Gravity points out, there may be releases in 2020 that you might like, the downside of that is when will they be available after they are launched and do you have status to get one?

I had a Camo on order from AP, then changed my mind and let that one go to someone else only to regret my decision but was fortunate enough that AP allocated me their last one but had to wait three months in between.

So, PT now at discount from list or Camo at list price or more, if you can find one, or wait for a new model that hasn't yet been launched...

Have fun with that conundrum.
Old 28 December 2019, 04:40 AM   #8
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
You know camo is hot when grandma’s where camo outfits flexing
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 05:50 AM   #9
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I’ve had both versions side by side and it’s amazing how similar they were in my opinion. Both are seriously cool. It don’t know if the grey prices on chrono24 for the platinum model are genuine as they’re relatively cheap, I got 5% discount on mine brand new but only because AP had a 10% price increase 2 weeks before mine arrived, it was a special order at the time through my AD and AP in London who I’m friends with. I personally love the weight of the platinum but I can see that not everyone would agree, I also love the fact that it doesn’t draw attention and people only know that it’s platinum if they’re aware of each AP model which rules out virtually anyone you’ll meet, because of this it’s a watch that I can wear to client meetings and not feel conscious of, I owned a gold offshore and that was just embarrassing (for me) in front of clients so I pretty much stopped wearing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 06:48 AM   #10
AshAP
"TRF" Member

The platinum version looks pretty good on the camo strap imo.

Old 28 December 2019, 07:12 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If the bezel is too much I'd get the Plat and get the blue camo strap as an option for a fun change up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 07:15 AM   #12
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Blue Camo Vs. Platinum ROO

Old 28 December 2019, 08:24 AM   #13
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Really attracted to the blue camo cs the Pt in this pic. The bezel is just so blue. Looks amazing. Wish I was able to get one

So awesome!!!
Old 28 December 2019, 08:27 AM   #14
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Really attracted to the blue camo cs the Pt in this pic. The bezel is just so blue. Looks amazing. Wish I was able to get one

So awesome!!!

Under direct lighting......blue enough?

Old 28 December 2019, 08:29 AM   #15
Fat_ninja
Banned

Icon14

Quote:
Under direct lighting......blue enough?

Yep I still love the blue. Blue blue and more blue. Yeah baby
Old 28 December 2019, 08:38 AM   #16
AshAP
"TRF" Member

The pt is very versatile with strap choices. Red even looks good in my opinion.

Old 28 December 2019, 08:39 AM   #17
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Yep I still love the blue. Blue blue and more blue. Yeah baby
Unfortunately or fortunately, depending upon your point of view, it never exhibits that blue, it's a totally contrived colour from artificial light. In real life it never shows up. Which is why one of my earlier comments suggested that it is far less obnoxious IRL when paired with a strap other than the camo strap.

To be honest, that pic that Ashley posted was taken at an AP event that I was at too, and it was only having seen those pics afterwards that I had to question my own memory of what the blue really looked like, which was part of why I was so indecisive. It is almost the same sort of effect as a 'black light'. Anyway, in real life the blue is vibrant but not psychedelic.

At that same event they had the brown camo, but they didn't have the green one there, the brown obviously didn't glow like the blue, but I wonder how the green behaves under artificial light?
Old 28 December 2019, 08:41 AM   #18
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The pt is very versatile with strap choices. Red even looks good in my opinion.

I love the red on yours and I love it on mine too, yellow soon.
Old 28 December 2019, 08:48 AM   #19
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love the red on yours and I love it on mine too, yellow soon.

I’m looking forward to seeing the yellow option. It’s interesting about the blue bezel, I think it only showed up as bright blue when I photographed it under the direct light from a table lamp. It wasn’t ideal lighting to show off watches and I was totally P*ssed by that stage as I’d played 36 holes of golf that day and dehydrated then rehydrated on cocktails, champagne and wine, I was quite drunk by the time we tried watches on.

Old 28 December 2019, 08:57 AM   #20
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m looking forward to seeing the yellow option. It’s interesting about the blue bezel, I think it only showed up as bright blue when I photographed it under the direct light from a table lamp. It wasn’t ideal lighting to show off watches and I was totally P*ssed by that stage as I’d played 36 holes of golf that day and dehydrated then rehydrated on cocktails, champagne and wine, I was quite drunk by the time we tried watches on.

Yellow is coming soon but there's a bit of a story behind it and it might take a little while, but I'll post pics as and when. I did have the yellow strap in hand at one point, although it was for a different offshore model and so didn't fit my watch, but it certainly looked great agains the blue.

As to your pics, I wasn't criticising. If you remember, the blue looked like that in the lights whilst they were in the cabinet on display. Although, you blood alcohol level can't have helped.
Old 28 December 2019, 09:11 AM   #21
Jp28
"TRF" Member

I am going to like to see the yellow also. I thought I was going to have it in November but last minute I was not able to get to the Geneva store.
Some great pics above. A fun choice between the two.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 09:47 AM   #22
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m looking forward to seeing the yellow option
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 01:53 PM   #23
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
I vote for the pt. I personally feel the pt is much more versatile with strap choices as others have already stated and eventually one always gets bored of the original strap...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 02:04 PM   #24
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Pt...it’s the only non LE ROO in Pt and is still the best value in AP when compared to what you get vs retail or even what LE Pt ROOs are trading for. When it was launched at SIHH it retailed for over $100k. AP then had major price cuts and then a couple price increases. It’s a timeless ROO that can fly under the radar yet you can really change it up with strap color changes. I actually don’t know why it isn’t more popular and trading higher than the $45-$50k range.

Although I would love the blue ceramic on the Pt.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 04:14 PM   #25
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Pt...it’s the only non LE ROO in Pt and is still the best value in AP when compared to what you get vs retail or even what LE Pt ROOs are trading for. When it was launched at SIHH it retailed for over $100k. AP then had major price cuts and then a couple price increases. It’s a timeless ROO that can fly under the radar yet you can really change it up with strap color changes. I actually don’t know why it isn’t more popular and trading higher than the $45-$50k range. Although I would love the blue ceramic on the Pt.
Thanks for all your feedback. I think PT is the way to go here. The 45-50k street price seems like a great value in comparison to steel and as cool as i think all the camos in are, I love the looks of it in PT. Will likely hold off and see what is released around the corner but it's hard to imagine anything swaying me from here. What's LE mean?
Old 28 December 2019, 04:32 PM   #26
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
Thanks for all your feedback. I think PT is the way to go here. The 45-50k street price seems like a great value in comparison to steel and as cool as i think all the camos in are, I love the looks of it in PT. Will likely hold off and see what is released around the corner but it's hard to imagine anything swaying me from here. What's LE mean?
You’ll love the Pt. Weight is noticeable but not uncomfortable for daily wear. LE is limited edition.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 05:05 PM   #27
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post

Thanks Eric, what do you think? I like it.

Old 28 December 2019, 07:40 PM   #28
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
It's definitely a summer colour scheme and not something that is remotely subtle. As I said earlier, I had a strap in hand that unfortunately didn't fit my model but I really liked the yellow, not too bright and not too mustardy, a true goldilocks yellow IMO and it works really nicely with blues.

p.s.

I'm questioning whether Gravity actually has just bought a Survivor or whether he's colour changed his regular ROO and bolted on some paintshop extras...
Old 28 December 2019, 07:42 PM   #29
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's definitely a summer colour scheme and not something that is remotely subtle. As I said earlier, I had a strap in hand that unfortunately didn't fit my model but I really liked the yellow, not too bright and not too mustardy, a true goldilocks yellow IMO and it works really nicely with blues.

p.s.

I'm questioning whether Gravity actually has just bought a Survivor or whether he's colour changed his regular ROO and bolted on some paintshop extras...

Haha, he’s definitely got some skills.