The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 January 2020, 07:53 AM   #31
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
A big launch due on 16th in Asia. And no I am sorry I cannot share more.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 08:52 AM   #32
edo
"TRF" Member

As I see on IG horoloupe teaser some special Singapore edition of ultra thin perpetual... probably titanium with red dial...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 11:19 AM   #33
T3F
"TRF" Member

My boutique told me that the allocation process has changed and that everything (requests for specific models) is now submitted to the boutique manager who then submits names to AP corporate, and AP corporate now has sole discretion over who gets what. Occasionally, "opportunity-based" allocations will be possible when people pass on a watch and it becomes available, and in those cases, the salespeople and managers at the boutique will have discretion, but those will be relatively uncommon and almost always for models less in-demand.

I asked my salesperson what the best strategy was under this new process for trying to get watches. Last year, he and the boutique manager asked me for a full list of watches I might be interested in, and I sent it over, but none ended up materializing. He said doing that again would likely lower my chances this year, and said I should just hold off on doing anything at the moment. I guess AP corporate and the service centers shut down for a few weeks and are just reopening, and apparently the boutique hasn't gotten anything at all since then and has almost no watches right now. He also said he suspected a number of new watches would be released this week, and it sounds like that the case based on what others here have said.

I guess I'll contact them again once these new releases hit in a few days, but it seems like kind of a weird situation, both for boutique staff and customers. Not a great look for AP, IMO, to leave everyone in the dark. As a customer with an existing relationship that's trying to build a stronger one, it's extremely frustrating to not know what's going on and be told that, as things stand now, I basically won't have a chance of getting any watches unless I get super lucky, and even if I do, I won't really have any control over what I get offered.

Seems like AP does a good job taking care of VVIPs and isn't bad with new customers, but from discussions with others, it sounds like they haven't really figured out what to do with us that have a few watches and have spent amounts approaching six figures but aren't quite at VIP level yet.
Old 13 January 2020, 12:33 PM   #34
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
My boutique told me that the allocation process has changed and that everything (requests for specific models) is now submitted to the boutique manager who then submits names to AP corporate, and AP corporate now has sole discretion over who gets what.
Standard line to take the pressure off of the boutique for customers they know won't get what they want. It's just passing the buck to corporate so they're not seen as the "bad guys". The boutiques absolutely get to choose who gets what, they just don't have much control over their allocation. There are several times the boutiques have to get approval for top tier in demand pieces but they choose who they submit and who they don't. It's just easier to say they submit them all and who gets chosen is out of their hands.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 01:33 PM   #35
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Standard line to take the pressure off of the boutique for customers they know won't get what they want. It's just passing the buck to corporate so they're not seen as the "bad guys". The boutiques absolutely get to choose who gets what, they just don't have much control over their allocation. There are several times the boutiques have to get approval for top tier in demand pieces but they choose who they submit and who they don't. It's just easier to say they submit them all and who gets chosen is out of their hands.
This makes complete sense. Such is the market these days. It's a pity, but the world goes 'round.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 03:31 PM   #36
heatjay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Was told that early Jan is the time to contact AP for this year’s allocations. I have contacted my AP salesperson and I am waiting to hear back. Just wanted to know if anyone has already been allocated any pieces for 2020?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wish there was an AP boutique in Boston.
heatjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 03:38 PM   #37
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatjay View Post
We don’t even have one in the Bay Area. I guess all tech billionaires wear are casios, Apple watches or the biggest trend of all Fitbit!
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:25 PM   #38
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
A big launch due on 16th in Asia. And no I am sorry I cannot share more.

thanks for sharing. I’ll be in the lookout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 01:13 AM   #39
kevblah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatjay View Post
there is one opening on boylston next to hermes/four seasons
kevblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:22 AM   #40
csmiller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
there is one opening on boylston next to hermes/four seasons
is that confirmed?
csmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 04:48 AM   #41
kevblah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmiller View Post
is that confirmed?
not officially as far as i know, but if you drive by you can literally see the signage on the windows
kevblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 08:36 AM   #42
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Got a text from my SA this morning that my boutique exclusive 15500 will be available March 2020!! I don't have much of a history with the brand but my first and only purchase was a RO Perpetual Calendar in August 2019
WheresCassAt? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 10:07 AM   #43
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresCassAt? View Post
Got a text from my SA this morning that my boutique exclusive 15500 will be available March 2020!! I don't have much of a history with the brand but my first and only purchase was a RO Perpetual Calendar in August 2019
well at least you spent a solid $100k to start... pretty good start I must say!
Old 15 January 2020, 01:05 PM   #44
seansong93
Banned

Quote:
Haha that should do it! Also if you buy the 11:59 it should put you in the good books ;) wonder why haha!
seansong93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:12 PM   #45
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice!! Good work. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
well at least you spent a solid $100k to start... pretty good start I must say!
An RO PC clocks in at $60,900 back in 8/2019 (now $63,300) for the Steel.

Did you start with an RO PC Steel? Or was it a PM variant (which comes in at $95,700 -- closer to dauster's assessment)?
Old 15 January 2020, 01:24 PM   #46
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Aren't RO perpetual calendars really hard to get pieces???

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:25 PM   #47
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Aren't RO perpetual calendars really hard to get pieces???
Only the Ceramic ones, and any LE's.

Those follow the standard "hard to get" process... In other words, if you have a relationship, you can eventually get one. :)

Here, however, WheresCassAt used an RO PC to establish said relationship, so I'm hypothesizing it was either Steel or Gold.
Old 15 January 2020, 04:33 PM   #48
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Guys it’s literally his avatar lol SS blue.
Old 16 January 2020, 01:39 AM   #49
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Nice!! Good work. :D

An RO PC clocks in at $60,900 back in 8/2019 (now $63,300) for the Steel.

Did you start with an RO PC Steel? Or was it a PM variant (which comes in at $95,700 -- closer to dauster's assessment)?
I assumed PM because steel is supposed to be much harder to get. Oops is stand corrected it’s really his avatar ... in my defense pic is super small on my iPad
Old 16 January 2020, 03:55 AM   #50
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
so how difficult is it to get a RO PC in SS ? I'd like to add one... but prefer to get one from an AD rather than one of the greys
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 04:21 AM   #51
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgg43c View Post
so how difficult is it to get a RO PC in SS ? I'd like to add one... but prefer to get one from an AD rather than one of the greys

Now is the time to ask for one. My guess is definitely within the year and maybe within 6 months
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 04:43 AM   #52
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I expressed an interest last year, and was told to check back in Jan, but needed to be approved for purchase. Plus, I know there have been some changes at the Boutique in NY, the person I was working there is no more, so I started speaking to someone new. Let's see.
Old 16 January 2020, 04:51 AM   #53
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Those can be had grey immediately for retail less tax all day. Can't imagine pleading with an AD for one, then waiting and paying full pop.

Quote:
Old 16 January 2020, 04:55 AM   #54
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

I don't disagree thats option 2, but was interested in developing a relationship with AP.
Old 16 January 2020, 05:00 AM   #55
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I assumed PM because steel is supposed to be much harder to get. Oops is stand corrected it’s really his avatar ... in my defense pic is super small on my iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Guys it’s literally his avatar lol SS blue.
Haha, well done, GB-man. You are right indeed. :)
Old 16 January 2020, 08:47 AM   #56
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. I expressed an interest last year, and was told to check back in Jan, but needed to be approved for purchase. Plus, I know there have been some changes at the Boutique in NY, the person I was working there is no more, so I started speaking to someone new. Let's see.
They most likely had already committed to their allocation for the year. Give it another shot this year and you should be able to get one.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 09:18 AM   #57
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
don't disagree thats option 2, but was interested in developing a relationship with AP.
Personal preference, but unless you plan on making a significant quantity of purchases, including the "not so popular" models and or very high priced models like gran comps, then you are light years ahead by going grey, getting exactly what you want now, delivered to your door and usually with a discount.

I just can't wrap my head around begging to pay full retail + tax for a model that is readily available in quantity on the grey market at a discount. Do that enough times and you'll more than make up for any premiums you'll have to pay in the future for the truly rare pieces. That formula has worked out beautifully for me and continues to do so.
Old 16 January 2020, 09:29 AM   #58
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Who are your preferred greys to deal with Gravity?
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 10:44 AM   #59
seansong93
Banned

Quote:
Should not be too hard, they'd be happy to order one in and you could even snag a bonus allocation piece.

Perhaps it depends which part of the world you're in. Some ADs are easier than others ;)
seansong93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 11:53 AM   #60
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Who are your preferred greys to deal with Gravity?
Feel free to shoot a PM and be happy to shoot you a list of names and numbers. Most are regulars here.