The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2020, 08:56 PM   #1
Brew
"TRF" Member

When is it too late?

I'm right smack in the middle of my 50s and I'm about to change my career for the third time. I practiced law for a decade, then did/managed deals for a big computer/services company for 20+ years. I'm about to start a new role as a "risk manager" for a large consulting firm working with its deal teams, and I'm more excited about work than I've been in a long long time. Although retirement was a consideration, I'm just not ready.

Has anybody else made a late-career change like this? Any recommendations? I'd appreciate your thoughts!
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 09:35 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 09:51 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I have not Larry, but I’m interested to hear some replies here.

I’m one of those anomalies .... graduated college went to work for one company and still there 32 years later I had a small business of of my own along the way as a distraction but never saw the need to leave my current job. I guess I got comfortable...

Changing careers at this late stage is a lot to think about for me, but I admire you for having done so and I wish you all the very best
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:41 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Personally, have 'reinvented' myself many times during my life. You being excited about this new change as "risk manager" is, imho, one of the keys to happiness. Getting out of a 'comfort zone' and making a change to something that excites you is moving forward within life.

Personally... In fact am [strikethrough]working towards[/strikethrough] challenging myself by circling back to being musician-minded. Am also in my mid-50s and fel it is time to get back to something i've always loved, yet dropped off the map during my late teens as... life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

It is great your excited about this change. Life evolves, the world changes, and changing with it in a positive manner brings about newfound joys and life experiences. As always, in the end what really matters is that you...

Enjoy your time.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:11 PM   #5
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
I still have no idea what I want to do when I grow up. I spend a decade in the military and thought that was going to be the "end all be all" career, but for personal reasons I made the discernment to get out. i then jumped into preparations for another career but found that was not for me at all, and left after a year.
I am now in a contracting/consulting business that has done well for me, but I am tired of the lifestyle and I would like something that keeps me in the states more, since being gone for two months at a time isn't the greatest. I wish I had better advice to give, but I was told that you should love your life and your job should be an extension of that.

I am excited about your change in career and the fact that you are excited to go to work speaks volumes; I really think a job should be a joy and not just source of income. I am looking forward to hearing how this job is and how you're enjoying it.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:57 PM   #6
Brew
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the feedback. I know it's never too late, but it sure feels overwhelming every now and again!
Old 22 January 2020, 12:51 AM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm in the early stages of my career so I've got no useful advice to offer. I just wanted to wish you all the best with this new endeavor and I'm sure you'll do very well at it! It always helps when you truly enjoy what you do and have the ability to get excited about it.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:20 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
...and I'm more excited about work than I've been in a long long time.
This answers your question right here.

Go for it.

Have fun. The beauty of working because you're excited and not because you have to, gives you a entirely different perspective than most people.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:46 AM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Good for you.

Never too late. Especially because it sounds like you don’t “need” the money.

Enjoy the day. Enjoy the moments. They are all we have.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 02:40 AM   #10
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
I still have no idea what I want to do when I grow up.
I've said this for years. So far, it's been the path of least resistance, frankly. One more divergence before the dog track, I guess. lol.
Old 22 January 2020, 02:42 AM   #11
swils8610

I spent the last 25 years of my life in the automotive dealer setting and was running 2 stores. I’m 48. It’s the only thing I know. I thought I’d retire from that industry. An opportunity came along in a completely different industry. I took the opportunity. So far so good. I never thought I’d leave the automotive industry. I feel refreshed. Maybe a was stale...go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 02:44 AM   #12
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I spent the last 25 years of my life in the automotive dealer setting and was running 2 stores. I’m 48. It’s the only thing I know. I thought I’d retire from that industry. An opportunity came along in a completely different industry. I took the opportunity. So far so good. I never thought I’d leave the automotive industry. I feel refreshed. Maybe a was stale...go for it!

This is great to hear. There's hope!
Old 22 January 2020, 08:20 AM   #13
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
After 10 years of being a reinsurance lawyer, switched careers and went to negotiating contracts for sales of medical devices. So, not only did I change industries, but went from the legal to commercial side of the business. Did the switch in my early 40s, no regrets since. May not be identified as a “late career” change, but my advice to you remains the same: stay positive, and keep an open mind. Switching careers is not easy, because everything changes. New colleagues, new office culture and environment, new concepts and a business to learn, but stay the course. It’s worth it.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 08:27 AM   #14
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
After 10 years of being a reinsurance lawyer, switched careers and went to negotiating contracts for sales of medical devices. So, not only did I change industries, but went from the legal to commercial side of the business. Did the switch in my early 40s, no regrets since. May not be identified as a “late career” change, but my advice to you remains the same: stay positive, and keep an open mind. Switching careers is not easy, because everything changes. New colleagues, new office culture and environment, new concepts and a business to learn, but stay the course. It’s worth it.
More good news, and thanks for the advice. I'm glad the change worked out for you, Mike.
Old 22 January 2020, 09:02 AM   #15
swils8610

Mine caught me off guard. The first time I met with the employer I was in. It took several weeks to to iron out the details. Many family members including my wife were in disbelief. I feel refreshed and re-energized. I’m out of my comfort zone and overwhelmed at times, but I know I can the job done.

swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 09:21 AM   #16
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
As long as you enjoy what you are doing

The one consistent think I have heard from retirees is “don’t retire purely as a financial decision” just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

In other words when it’s time for you to stop working, you’ll know.

Best of luck.
Old 22 January 2020, 09:36 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
As a younger man I cannot offer advice to you Larry but wish you the best in this new adventure. What I have found, as I am sure you have too, is that life feels like floating down river and trying to dodge the rocks lol

Those that can adapt are best fit for success.
Old 22 January 2020, 09:54 AM   #18
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
The fact that you are so excited and looking forward to this leads me to think it is not too late by any stretch of the imagination.

Trust your gut Larry. It's telling you that you want this and that you can cut it.

Kit butt and take names.
Old 22 January 2020, 09:57 AM   #19
winst
"TRF" Member

When is it too late - you’re the risk manager - you tell us!
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 11:01 AM   #20
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
It's NEVER too late, Larry! I applaud your guts to make another change.

I spent 9 years in the Army. I decided that wasn't for me, so I switched to Federal Law Enforcement and did that for 21 years. I just got my Master's in English and now I teach college English. It can be done!

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 11:03 AM   #21
Andad

Watch: A few.
You sound like you are going to really enjoy your new job.

This represents 100% of these decisions.

No risk.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 11:22 AM   #22
2024 Pledge Member

It's never too late. Retire when you're 90.

Enjoy the new job. Sounds like it's low risk, or at least manageable.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 11:39 AM   #23
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Good luck! I was forced to retire at 38 and have been trying to figure my way back to work since.
Old 22 January 2020, 12:21 PM   #24
Retired Bob
Banned

life is short, enjoy the time you have left.
Retired Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 03:02 PM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Never.

The hardest part is the first step. Surround yourself with positive people. I left a very lucrative career to start my own business. Yes, its hard. But my hard days are better than my best with the old golden handcuffs.

Besides, when you're real old and can't piss without a diaper or eat without a straw, regrets only make things worse.

All the best. You'll do great.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 03:36 PM   #26
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

I think the answer here is, you're never too old to do pivot and do something else you enjoy. Life's a journey and you should experience different things.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:22 PM   #27
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Never too late. I recently retired because I didn’t need the stress and don’t need any more money. Roughly the same age as you. But, I now realise my brain is too active to just do nothing. So, I’m contemplating my next move ...
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 05:23 PM   #28
colpol
"TRF" Member

I left a job at 40 & got made redundant 2 weeks before my 50th

Each time I thought about career change/ going back to study for a new career but the the thought of starting at the bottom again always put me off plus the easy thing money wise was to stay in my field. Both cases for me led to better jobs with more mont
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 08:06 PM   #29
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
Changing jobs is exciting. I spent almost 28 years in the US Air Force before retiring in 2005. Since retiring I have had five different jobs and not because I was fired or laid off. All have been new opportunities in different work environments and while I stressed at first the experiences have been great. My last change was just 13 months ago at age 59. Right now I’m now down in New Zealand on a three year assignment as an air terminal manager and liaison for Operation Deep Freeze, the Antarctic mission. Life is great and exciting.

My focus as I made these job changes was how best to maximize retirement options under new pay scales and programs.

I say go for it with the new job and don’t look back. Best of luck on the new adventure.

Cheers, Tim
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 08:29 PM   #30
Brew
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the great encouragement, friends. The more I think about this move, the bigger it gets.

I think I need to stop thinking and just do it!

[Well, actually, it's a done deal already, but you know what I mean. lol]