The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 5 February 2020, 12:14 AM   #1
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Some people love to panic

We can’t compare this to the flu anymore. Mortality rate is more than 3X and it’s more contagious. Wuhan Coronavirus can now spread three different ways, air, fecal and surface (up to 5 days.) All qualified.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 5 February 2020, 02:39 AM   #2
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
We can’t compare this to the flu anymore. Mortality rate is more than 3X and it’s more contagious. Wuhan Coronavirus can now spread three different ways, air, fecal and surface (up to 5 days.) All qualified.

The Novel Coronavirus will likely transmit as many viral pathogens do - using a host cell from every possible source.

I’d like to mention that the increasing rate of cases is accelerating much faster than the rate of deaths.

We will see the lethality shrink as we get control over the mortality despite sharp increases in cases.

Can’t really rely on only 17,000 cases as a denominator to yield a forward-looking mortality rate. Note that the other comparable outbreaks have millions of cases over a years time

When we have a year’s worth of Novel CV data I believe the observed mortality will be closer to the flu than SARS or MERS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 5 February 2020, 06:29 AM   #3
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The Novel Coronavirus will likely transmit as many viral pathogens do - using a host cell from every possible source.

I’d like to mention that the increasing rate of cases is accelerating much faster than the rate of deaths.

We will see the lethality shrink as we get control over the mortality despite sharp increases in cases.

Can’t really rely on only 17,000 cases as a denominator to yield a forward-looking mortality rate. Note that the other comparable outbreaks have millions of cases over a years time

When we have a year’s worth of Novel CV data I believe the observed mortality will be closer to the flu than SARS or MERS.

Agree with the exception of MERS, mortality was in the 30% range. That was a dangerous one.

Old 5 February 2020, 07:57 AM   #4
77T

Quote:
Agree with the exception of MERS, mortality was in the 30% range. That was a dangerous one.

I was saying Novel CV mortality would be closer to flu than either SARS or MERS. SARS was about 10% untreated and MERS was 30%. I agree both of those were horrific.

I expect Novel will eventually be something under 1%.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 5 February 2020, 09:15 AM   #5
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I was saying Novel CV mortality would be closer to flu than either SARS or MERS. SARS was about 10% untreated and MERS was 30%. I agree both of those were horrific.

I expect Novel will eventually be something under 1%.

Expertise in helicoptering and virology...thanks for your insights in the current events...
Old 8 February 2020, 06:51 PM   #6
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:

Surface? 5 days? Where did you get that from? Any source? Really want to know.

CDC says:

It’s currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

And the virus is supposed to only survive outside of the body a few minutes to hours but not days.
Old 8 February 2020, 07:21 PM   #7
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
Surface? 5 days? Where did you get that from? Any source? Really want to know.

CDC says:

It’s currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

And the virus is supposed to only survive outside of the body a few minutes to hours but not days.
Actually it’s 9-days now. Let me find source. If you simply Google search coronavirus you’ll get the same data. It’s not a secret

Old 8 February 2020, 07:34 PM   #8
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually it’s 9-days now. Let me find source. If you simply Google search coronavirus you’ll get the same data. It’s not a secret

Credible source....?
WHO and CDC say nothing of that sort...
Old 9 February 2020, 12:49 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Quote:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 9 February 2020, 07:22 AM   #10
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
CDC is political.

Coronaviruses can persist on inanimate surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days, according to a study published Feb. 6 in the Journal of Hospital Infection.

Researchers analyzed 22 studies on coronaviruses, including literature on SARS and MERS. An analysis revealed that the viruses normally survive on surfaces between four and five days, but can remain infectious for up to nine days. Low temperatures and high air humidity increase the lifespan.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...udy-finds.html

Old 9 February 2020, 07:46 AM   #11
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
CDC is political.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Though I don't pretend to know how long a virus remains infectious at a given temperature on a given surface.
Old 9 February 2020, 01:37 PM   #12
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
CDC is political.

Coronaviruses can persist on inanimate surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days, according to a study published Feb. 6 in the Journal of Hospital Infection.

Researchers analyzed 22 studies on coronaviruses, including literature on SARS and MERS. An analysis revealed that the viruses normally survive on surfaces between four and five days, but can remain infectious for up to nine days. Low temperatures and high air humidity increase the lifespan.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...udy-finds.html

Damn.

Thank you! That’s what I was looking for.

Crucial to know! Which means many more avenues the virus can spread via. Terrible news.
Old 10 February 2020, 01:48 AM   #13
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

I live in Bangkok, and it's really not a big deal. I don't even wear a mask and even the WHO says there is no reason to.

In January we had 30,000 people arrive from China, of that there were 6,000 directly from Wuhan. Even with those numbers, there are 32 cases, non of which were fatal.

The media and people have blown it way out of proportion outside of China. It has like a 2% fatality rating. Most of the cases here are treated, the people get better and are released. I think there is too much hype centered around it being a new virus and the potential that carries, but the reality is different.

However, the amount of racism that has stemmed from it is sad to see. I have seen people make racist statements like banning all Chinese, which I typically call them out on as being racist and ignorant.

In China, that is a different story. We will never know the actual truth. I'm sure it is difficult there, but I still doubt it will gain any more traction than it has already.
Old 10 February 2020, 01:58 AM   #14
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
I live in Bangkok, and it's really not a big deal. I don't even wear a mask and even the WHO says there is no reason to.

In January we had 30,000 people arrive from China, of that there were 6,000 directly from Wuhan. Even with those numbers, there are 32 cases, non of which were fatal.

The media and people have blown it way out of proportion outside of China. It has like a 2% fatality rating. Most of the cases here are treated, the people get better and are released. I think there is too much hype centered around it being a new virus and the potential that carries, but the reality is different.

However, the amount of racism that has stemmed from it is sad to see. I have seen people make racist statements like banning all Chinese, which I typically call them out on as being racist and ignorant.

In China, that is a different story. We will never know the actual truth. I'm sure it is difficult there, but I still doubt it will gain any more traction than it has already.

I’m not sure it’s blown out of proportion. Sorry to see the racism tho.

I mean it’s literally halting The Chinese economy. Given port closures, city closures... if it was not a concern and a run of the mill flu or cold. These measures would not be this drastic. If they didn’t make this a big deal it would be a lot worse than it is now. Contagiousness of the disease is a pretty big issue given they don’t actually have a vaccine. Comparisons to the flu are kind of silly in my mind as one is a known and treatable disease, while the other is aggressively expanding.

They are currently treating it with an AIDS cocktail similar to SARS.
Old 10 February 2020, 03:40 AM   #15
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post

2% fatality is pretty high
Closed Thread