The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2020, 12:16 PM   #61
Mwh_collection
"TRF" Member

Still waiting, first visit was in early december.
Mwh_collection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:04 PM   #62
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Personal preference, but unless you plan on making a significant quantity of purchases, including the "not so popular" models and or very high priced models like gran comps, then you are light years ahead by going grey, getting exactly what you want now, delivered to your door and usually with a discount.

I just can't wrap my head around begging to pay full retail + tax for a model that is readily available in quantity on the grey market at a discount. Do that enough times and you'll more than make up for any premiums you'll have to pay in the future for the truly rare pieces. That formula has worked out beautifully for me and continues to do so.
Darn it you are messing up my plan of overpaying in the near future but it’s going to be so worth it when I get invited to an AP event and get free champagne and golf with pga tour players at lake como:)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 03:57 PM   #63
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Personal preference, but unless you plan on making a significant quantity of purchases, including the "not so popular" models and or very high priced models like gran comps, then you are light years ahead by going grey, getting exactly what you want now, delivered to your door and usually with a discount.

I just can't wrap my head around begging to pay full retail + tax for a model that is readily available in quantity on the grey market at a discount. Do that enough times and you'll more than make up for any premiums you'll have to pay in the future for the truly rare pieces. That formula has worked out beautifully for me and continues to do so.

I understand why you think like this however I’ve always found AP to be extremely accommodating and I’ve been able to buy what I want when I want. They’ve never suggested that I buy anything. Going grey works for you and that’s great but by doing so you are missing out on the factory visits and the golf days etc - if golf does your head in then defo go grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 01:10 AM   #64
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I understand why you think like this however I’ve always found AP to be extremely accommodating and I’ve been able to buy what I want when I want. They’ve never suggested that I buy anything. Going grey works for you and that’s great but by doing so you are missing out on the factory visits and the golf days etc - if golf does your head in then defo go grey.

I think timing is everything - ie when did you star purchasing AP’s from the boutiques? I assume it was before the current lack of availability for desirable models?

It’s a different situation if you don’t have a relationship to date and are now trying to get access to pieces that everyone wants, including those that already have years worth of purchase history. In this case, you are put in a position of having to buy less desired pieces (less desired either by you and/or generally) to ever have a chance at access...at least until current availability might change.

Frankly, i have been tryin to proceed down AD route, however, just not getting much traction and refuse to buy something i don’t really want...so, i may be starting to think more along Gravity’s way of looking at things.
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 01:26 AM   #65
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
I think timing is everything - ie when did you star purchasing AP’s from the boutiques? I assume it was before the current lack of availability for desirable models?

It’s a different situation if you don’t have a relationship to date and are now trying to get access to pieces that everyone wants, including those that already have years worth of purchase history. In this case, you are put in a position of having to buy less desired pieces (less desired either by you and/or generally) to ever have a chance at access...at least until current availability might change.

Frankly, i have been tryin to proceed down AD route, however, just not getting much traction and refuse to buy something i don’t really want...so, i may be starting to think more along Gravity’s way of looking at things.

You’re right I have been buying APs for a long time but I honestly think that the U.K. is a slightly different market and it’s easier to get what you want.

Old 17 January 2020, 02:34 AM   #66
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To be honest, I have a great relationship with a few people at AP and still get invited to events ect that I have interest in, which are few and far between, but I do go occasionally. I have that relationship not from purchases but because I met them through others and we just have a common appreciation for horology. They know I love the brand, my collection is heavy on AP and also that I always buy grey but they still take care of me on the event and service side which is great. Bottom line is that most of my acquisitions are pieces that are readily available on the secondary for a discount and the rare pieces I seek I'd never have a chance at since most boutiques literally get one a year and they go to their very top people which I will never be.

I am happy with this system and with AP. No gripes, Just a different way of doing things :)
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 03:07 AM   #67
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be honest, I have a great relationship with a few people at AP and still get invited to events ect that I have interest in, which are few and far between, but I do go occasionally. I have that relationship not from purchases but because I met them through others and we just have a common appreciation for horology. They know I love the brand, my collection is heavy on AP and also that I always buy grey but they still take care of me on the event and service side which is great. Bottom line is that most of my acquisitions are pieces that are readily available on the secondary for a discount and the rare pieces I seek I'd never have a chance at since most boutiques literally get one a year and they go to their very top people which I will never be.

I am happy with this system and with AP. No gripes, Just a different way of doing things :)
If you own an AP you are part of the family, regardless of the whether that came from an AP owned boutique, independent AD or grey. As AshAP implied, buying through grey routes isn't likely to open and doors, build any relationships from scratch or lead to any 'invitations', but as Gravity has proven, there are more ways to build and maintain relationships with AP than pure direct sales.

My first port of call will be AP themselves, but if I wanted a 'survivor' for example, or indeed ANY non current model then there's only one avenue and that's grey. Equally though I wouldn't take a bath on paying retail from AP for a current model that is heavily discounted in the grey market (there are quite a few models, especially some of the lady editions that are hugely discounted) but I think we'll see this reducing with time.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 04:19 AM   #68
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
You’re right I have been buying APs for a long time but I honestly think that the U.K. is a slightly different market and it’s easier to get what you want.

just another reason to relocate to the UK
Old 17 January 2020, 04:41 AM   #69
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
just another reason to relocate to the UK
I actually visit the UK several times a year and while I sometimes do find more availability there, when I break out the currency calculator the prices always end up being more than the US and almost always more than grey. Came close to buying a perpetual calendar in London that they actually had in stock, something that would never happen in Beverly Hills, but even with the duty savings it ended up being more than new grey. Trust me, my never buying from an AD is not from lack of trying, I give them a crack at what I'm looking for almost every time in the US, UK and EU.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 10:17 PM   #70
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Trust me, my never buying from an AD is not from lack of trying, I give them a crack at what I'm looking for almost every time in the US, UK and EU.
Oh, i don’t doubt it - and therein lies a lot of my own frustration...used to be grey was a nice way to get a discount but i always just preferred to get through an authorized channel. Now, its all upside down
Old 18 January 2020, 12:27 AM   #71
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Nice!! Good work. :D

An RO PC clocks in at $60,900 back in 8/2019 (now $63,300) for the Steel.

Did you start with an RO PC Steel? Or was it a PM variant (which comes in at $95,700 -- closer to dauster's assessment)?
T'was the SS version with the blue dial. Didn't seem very easy to get at the time. I had to make a lot of phone calls considering i live in Toronto where unfortunately we don't have our own boutique
WheresCassAt? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 12:51 AM   #72
T3F
"TRF" Member

I also have been trying to get a 26574ST for over a year with no luck -- I can't even get the rose gold version, and that one seems to be pretty unpopular based on the secondary market values. I've bought three APs, so though I'm no VIP, I have what I'd consider a solid purchase history, and still no luck.
Old 24 January 2020, 03:17 AM   #73
Dmnyc
"TRF" Member

I heard from the NYC boutique that they are no longer taking deposits for "in-demand" pieces for 2020, and that nothing has been out yet for 2020 (people haven't been notified if they are getting pieces, etc). Not sure how true.
Dmnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:40 AM   #74
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmnyc View Post
I heard from the NYC boutique that they are no longer taking deposits for "in-demand" pieces for 2020, and that nothing has been out yet for 2020 (people haven't been notified if they are getting pieces, etc). Not sure how true.

Can confirm the latter point regarding 2020 allocations - European boutique told me the same thing last week
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:33 AM   #75
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmnyc View Post
It's strange to hear of having to put down a deposit as I don't think the UK operates such a system. I can't say for sure, but it has never come up in any conversations I've ever had with AP or with UK AP owners that I know. Maybe it's a region specific thing. Maybe AP is normalising their process globally, as is their goal in other areas, to ensure that a customer experience is somewhat the same the world over.

As to new releases, time will tell, but I was hoping we'd have had some gossip by now.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 10:50 AM   #76
bentlh
"TRF" Member

Has anyone heard back regarding allocations for this year?

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
bentlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 03:15 PM   #77
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlh View Post
Has anyone heard back regarding allocations for this year?

Still nothing on my side. Was supposed to be this week but haven’t followed up yet - figured when they know, they’ll let me know

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 03:18 PM   #78
bentlh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Still nothing on my side. Was supposed to be this week but haven’t followed up yet - figured when they know, they’ll let me know

Thanks for sharing!

bentlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 08:23 PM   #79
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
I've placed a deposit for a grey dial 15500 in July 2019. Still waiting to hear back from AP :(
Old 9 February 2020, 07:16 AM   #80
Rockland
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
sucks being a 28 year old trying to compete with rich people in their 40s+.

Why not be grateful that you are 28 and can afford an AP? There are many people in their 40’s+ that can not.
Rockland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 07:32 AM   #81
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Has anyone been allocated 2020 pieces?

Quote:
sucks being a 28 year old trying to compete with rich people in their 40s+.
Honestly it’s way easier to have significant disposable income at 28 than it is in your 40’s when you’re more likely to have a family etc.

Old 9 February 2020, 07:48 AM   #82
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Honestly it’s way easier to have significant disposable income at 28 than it is in your 40’s when you’re more likely to have a family etc.

As a thirty-one year old that just bought a ceramic perpetual calendar, I can attest to this hypothesis lol
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 08:07 AM   #83
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
As a thirty-one year old that just bought a ceramic perpetual calendar, I can attest to this hypothesis lol

Quote:

Actually I do have a family I got married at 21 and divorced at 27. I have my son who is 3 years old. I do agree having a family is big expenses. My divorce took a huge chunk out of my assets. The bright side is after kicking my ex wife out of my life my expenses have gone down considerably .
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 08:21 AM   #84
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually I do have a family I got married at 21 and divorced at 27. I have my son who is 3 years old. I do agree having a family is big expenses. My divorce took a huge chunk out of my assets. The bright side is after kicking my ex wife out of my life my expenses have gone down considerably .

Sorry to hear that, a friend of mine has just gone through a divorce, his ex took 60% of everything and made him feel like she was doing him a favour. Once she received the settlement she moved in with the guy that she’d denied having an affair with. Nasty.

Old 9 February 2020, 08:50 AM   #85
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I married at 20 and divorced at 27, but I got lucky, no kids.
Old 9 February 2020, 09:01 AM   #86
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Received a pretty special piece from NYC boutique yesterday. Will do a proper write up when I get back from traveling. Very surprised.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 09:09 AM   #87
Dmnyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Received a pretty special piece from NYC boutique yesterday. Will do a proper write up when I get back from traveling. Very surprised.
!! Awaiting your write up
Dmnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 02:36 AM   #88
uracowman
"TRF" Member

I received a 15500 last week

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 02:56 AM   #89
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Awesome how that works out huh?
Old 19 February 2020, 10:16 AM   #90
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Received a call for a 26331st boutique exclusive but i respectfully passed!!! i appreciated the call and my SA is amazing but i'd really like my 15500st boutique exclusive. I guess the allocations are starting to roll in
WheresCassAt? is offline   Reply With Quote