The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 March 2020, 12:58 PM   #121
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The batman. Turns out I do not like a watch in black dial very much. That was before all the premium and I sold it below MSRP.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 03:10 PM   #122
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
What’s your worst buy?

A Tag, felt pressured by the AD to make a purchase “for the relationship”. Bought it at 3pm, put it up for sale by 5pm for > $1000 less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 03:16 PM   #123
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
A Tag, felt pressured by the AD to make a purchase “for the relationship”. Bought it at 3pm, put it up for sale by 5pm for > $1000 less.
Wow ! I feel you brother.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 03:39 PM   #124
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
My non Wilsdorf watches
Old 1 March 2020, 04:01 PM   #125
mrmarty
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
PAM250 Daylight. Bought it, couldn’t get myself to love it at all.
mrmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 04:05 PM   #126
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Speedmaster Broad Arrow 1957.

I actually really like wearing the watch, I think it looks great. However I made several mistakes that led to the purchase. I chose it pretty much on impulse, I didn’t really consider alternatives and most importantly I didn’t do my due diligence. The movement is Cal. 3303 which is pretty notorious as being a bag of bolts that frequently minces itself into oblivion.

The problem is I can’t sell it because I chose it as my wedding gift from my in-laws

I try not to think too hard about the fact that I could’ve been gifted a SubC AND a regular Speedy Moonwatch for the price
This was the first Omega I ever bought , I had it stolen when I was working in Africa and the insurance paid out the current market price for it ( which was nearly twice what I paid originally )
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 08:22 PM   #127
bp1000
"TRF" Member

This

As a dress watch I love it. But it was my first JLC. I was buying into their history and quality.

Well, it broke within a couple of months. I was using the quickest date and moonphase pushers. This damaged part of the mechanism.

The AD was pretty useless. No communication whilst it was with their technical team. It actually got returned due to no customer instruction.

I never actually received a call asking for the next steps.

So it had to go back again. This time they called me direct. With the answer of, sorry but you need to pay. You changed the date between 10 and 2.

I had to write to their hq explaining the issue and making the point that on a modern watch with quickset and with absolutely nothing in the manual telling you not to do this, I should be fixed under warranty. I wasn’t to know I shouldn’t change the date between 10 and 2. The manual should say this!

Anyway, the eventually accepted that. And to be very fair they were very professional and resolved it quickly once we spoke directly and left the AD out of things. It restored my faith in JLC and I do actually love the watch.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 09:07 PM   #128
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrussel View Post
Breitling super avenger....twice. Woof.

Lol.

Breitling Superocean Heritage for me. Bought at retail, had it for 2 weeks and it got condensation under the crystal. I sent it for repairs, didn’t see it for three months. Got it back and sold it for maybe 60%.
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 09:23 PM   #129
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
Regrets I have had a few, but then again too few to mention.

Each love and loss leading to my current collection,

I did it my way.

DJ39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 09:32 PM   #130
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
Exact opposite for me. Couldn’t get rid of the 42mm Explorer quick enough. Have had the older version for a while now.
I totally agree. The 16570 not only looks better on the wrist because it has better proportions, the watch has much more charm.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:40 PM   #131
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

A Yachtmaster. Only bought it as the price was right.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 11:06 PM   #132
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolyMoly View Post
Lol.

Breitling Superocean Heritage for me. Bought at retail, had it for 2 weeks and it got condensation under the crystal. I sent it for repairs, didn’t see it for three months. Got it back and sold it for maybe 60%.
Same for me, Superocean Heritage 44 Chrono. Never had condensation, but the rotor made a lot of noise. I also have a nearly 8" wrist and it still felt like wearing an ingot.

Got a 25% discount new and obviously still lost a bit on it.
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 11:14 PM   #133
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
This was the first Omega I ever bought , I had it stolen when I was working in Africa and the insurance paid out the current market price for it ( which was nearly twice what I paid originally )
There’s an idea!

Old 2 March 2020, 12:32 AM   #134
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
Same for me, Superocean Heritage 44 Chrono. Never had condensation, but the rotor made a lot of noise. I also have a nearly 8" wrist and it still felt like wearing an ingot.

Got a 25% discount new and obviously still lost a bit on it.
I have a Breitling chronomat where the rotor makes a lot of noise. Still love the watch though it’s worth more in scrap gold than what I paid for it so it’s virtually indestructible
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:35 AM   #135
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
This

As a dress watch I love it. But it was my first JLC. I was buying into their history and quality.

Well, it broke within a couple of months. I was using the quickest date and moonphase pushers. This damaged part of the mechanism.

The AD was pretty useless. No communication whilst it was with their technical team. It actually got returned due to no customer instruction.

So it had to go back again. This time they called me direct. With the answer of, sorry but you need to pay. You changed the date between 10 and 2.

I had to write to their hq explaining the issue and making the point that on a modern watch with quickset and with absolutely nothing in the manual telling you not to do this, I should be fixed under warranty. I wasn’t to know I shouldn’t change the date between 10 and 2. The manual should say this!

Anyway, the eventually accepted that. And to be very fair they were very professional and resolved it quickly once we spoke directly and left the AD out of things. It restored my faith in JLC and I do actually love the watch.
Can you explain more about changing the date between ten and two? A day date I had a problem with had an issue and the shop told me about this I just thought it was BS. Is this for every automatic watch? I never really paid attention to when the time when I change the date so i must do it all the time and never had an issue?
Old 2 March 2020, 12:42 AM   #136
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Can you explain more about changing the date between ten and two? A day date I had a problem with had an issue and the shop told me about this I just thought it was BS. Is this for every automatic watch? I never really paid attention to when the time when I change the date so i must do it all the time and never had an issue?
Sure, usually movements start to engage a date change from roughly 10pm.
Any interference in this can damage the date change movement. I don’t technically understand movements but from what I recall being told i striped the teeth on the cogs which are starting to mesh when I come a long and use the quickset.

Weird thing is, since Rolex starting using quickset, it’s not normally a problem!

But on older watches especially without quickset date it’s an issue. Avoid it!

I always by habit change at 6am now, setting date before time
Old 2 March 2020, 12:44 AM   #137
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
This

What a shame. That is a sharp looking piece.

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:47 AM   #138
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
All of my non Rolex purchases And there were a lot of them before I realized Rolex professionals are the only ones I truly enjoy wearing

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:48 AM   #139
Tsurara
"TRF" Member

Rolex DSSD 116660 over a Sub. The DSSD is a nice watch but IMHO too bulky over the Sub or even the SD. It spent a lot of time in the watch winder as a result.
Tsurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:50 AM   #140
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea

jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:50 AM   #141
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Never buy a limited edition panerai !!!!!

jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 01:07 AM   #142
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
worst buy is a hard one.

there’s always this:

i bought this before i was truly comfortable spending serious money on serious watches. i wanted to expand my collection at the time and thought i was being edgy and hedging my bets. of course buying an inexpensive sevenFriday lent no weight to my budding collection, but all of my non-watch friends love it. it is still in the box. maybe wear it once a year or so just because it is fairly different and fun.

my next watch was my 116710BLNR - my first rolex. eventually it sunk me because as we all know there is nothing quite like a rolex.

i think in sheer financial terms my worst buy is also one of my favorite watches.

i love LindeWerdelin’s Oktopus line, and this is the last Moonlite they ever made (serial #59 of 59). it was expensive, and almost mad. but when paired with the sevenfriday you can see that i was trying to be avante-garde and different. i wear this watch fairly often and i doubt i’ll sell it, given the hit i would take, but i am very glad to own this piece.

in the end, i think the montblancs i own are probably not the best decisions i’ve made. i like having a world time, but it hurts that it isn’t a PP 5130. and the 1858 small seconds are too bloody big (i bought the blue dial, my stepfather got the black dial but gave it to me as his parkinson’s progressed) and i never wear them although i adore the aesthetic. i should have turned that money into a DJ41 at the time and been happy.

Old 2 March 2020, 02:50 AM   #143
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any interference in this can damage the date change movement. I don’t technically understand movements but from what I recall being told i striped the teeth on the cogs which are starting to mesh when I come a long and use the quickset.

Weird thing is, since Rolex starting using quickset, it’s not normally a problem!

Thank you.
Old 2 March 2020, 03:01 AM   #144
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
This

Damn man, sorry to hear about the bad experience. I gotta say, I love this reference. Lately it’s been on my radar. Aside from the issue you had with quick set how do you find the watch?

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 03:47 AM   #145
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Modern Tag Heuer Autavia. Turns out tag is not the Heuer of old, I couldn't bond with it and took a bath on the flip.

Similar story for my Doxa 1200T Searambler. I had wanted either a diving star or professional, but they weren't available when I bought. I regretted it as soon as I had the watch on my wrist. At the time, I told myself silver makes it ok as a dress watch with a suit. But nope. The Doxa Subs are all tool watch and a tool watch with a dress watch dial just didn't work for me. Lost mad money on a quick flip there too.

Live and learn.

Did like the doxa in general though and would buy another with the right dial if the right opportunity came along.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 04:18 AM   #146
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
Damn man, sorry to hear about the bad experience. I gotta say, I love this reference. Lately it’s been on my radar. Aside from the issue you had with quick set how do you find the watch?

Thank you

I've had it since 2015 and it broke and was fixed then too.

Since then I do absolutely love it. Its the most beautifully crafted watch I own and its also a marvel of engineering, being able to put this movement in a watch case so thin.

I bought it primarily for a dress watch but I ended up wearing it for the best part of the summer (I think in 2015). Wore it so much I sweat through the leather band!

It has plenty of class and yet it seemed perfectly fine in shorts and a t-shirt too.

In summary, it feels special. Its not like anything else I own. Its consistent in time keeping and when you really look at it has very nice attention to detail. Classic case but inside the applied WG markers, pearlescent dial and bevelled hands are stunning. Add in the detail and font on the moonphase display and the blue running hand and to me its a big win and feels pretty special. Ignoring the finish on the movement, its the kind of quality you generally find on Patek or Vacheron.
Old 2 March 2020, 04:29 AM   #147
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

My understanding is it is only the latest generation Rolex movement 32 series which can be date-set at any time with no damage. There still a chance the 31 series can be damaged if set between 10 pm and 2 am. Rare but happens if done just at the wrong moment.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 05:12 AM   #148
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Worst buy? Probably my Reverso Duo Date and it's not because I don't like it. It's because it's my most expensive piece and the one I wear the least.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 06:46 AM   #149
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Worst buy Rolex would be my OP39 white dial. Nice watch, very under the radar and was a GADA for sure. Just got bored with it and another opportunity came up. Sold it. My Polar is much more fun to look at.

For whatever reason.. years ago, I impulse bought a Luminox. "Tough" and all that. I wore it maybe 3 times. Put it in the safe (why? I have no idea), decided to sell it as it was an eye sore and even after a battery replacement and reset.. it was dead. What a POS.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote