The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 March 2020, 03:12 PM   #1
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on purchasing a expII 16570

Guys, I need your honest opinions on the Exp II 16570.

So just a little back story , I recently sold off a IWC Portuguese yacht club as the watch saw very little wrist time and as it was my first good swiss watch bought 8 years ago, my current taste has changed and felt that the watch is jack of all trades- too large for a dress watch and not hardy enough for as a sports watch (leather/rubber band with 60ATM water resistance).

I otherwise own a 1803, 1601 , which was handed down to me from a family member and speedmaster 1861.

I would like to replace the IWC recently sold with a Exp II 16750 (SWISS only dial with full B&P) to be used as a daily watch.

My budget only allows me to get the black dial , what are you experts thoughts on this ? Given the current state of my collection, should I not bother getting the 16750 and save up to get a 5 digit sub/ gmt master?

Appreciate all your thoughts, a picture for reference .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchyouseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 03:13 PM   #2
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Old 26 March 2020, 03:16 PM   #3
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

More details- i am looking at a A series ,1999 SWISS only dial black exp II

Old 26 March 2020, 03:56 PM   #4
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

If you aren't set on the 1999 one, and you're in Perth, I have a 2004 that I'm considering selling.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 04:13 PM   #5
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

I am not in Australia at the moment unfortunately

Old 26 March 2020, 07:42 PM   #6
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I have a black dial Y serial 16570 and absolutely love it.
If I could go back in time it’s the only watch I should have bought, many years back. It ticks many boxes, be it black or white dial.

Old 26 March 2020, 09:47 PM   #7
Woody
"TRF" Member

You don't sound to me as though you have much passion for the 16570. If you are going to get one then I would suggest you focus on condition. Most of the explorer IIs are bought not by enthusiasts, collectors or investors but by those looking for a genuine tool watch. As such they tend to be used and generally show the marks from an active life. The bezel is the area that shows the most wear, so try to find one which is relatively unmarked as they are a devil to refinish. That said, i don't think the 16570 is anything special. I owned the white dial version and never really felt much warmth for it. I much prefer the current version and opted for that model when I was looking to add another Explorer to my collection. Of the others you mention then I am not a huge fan of the 16710. I have owned three over the years, but found them all to be somewhat characterless. Again I would opt (and have) for the modern ceramic version, but failing that try to save for one of the older acrylic crystal models (1675 or 16750). They have a lot more of a vintage charm to them. If you have your heart set on a five digit reference then the only one I would recommend is the 14060M. Great watch, classic design and a real icon. Good luck with your search (it is most of the fun).
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 09:56 PM   #8
1675-David
"TRF" Member

I'd save up for what you really want.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 01:17 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchyouseek View Post
My budget only allows me to get the black dial , what are you experts thoughts on this ?
What does this mean? Are the white dials that much more expensive? I see they sell at roughly the same price, with condition and boxes/papers being a bigger separation in price point from the black dials. (Personally, I much prefer the black dials.)

The 16570 is a fabulous, under-appreciated reference that stands on its on and should never be a watch you just settle for. If you love it, got for it, but I'd seek the best condition for your budget and not worry about a "Swiss" only dial. That little quirk is far less important than overall condition.

How about a tritium black dial with some patina? Those are super cool.

Good luck in the hunt!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 01:39 AM   #10
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

They're wonderful watches...

My much loved 1991 X serial.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 02:03 AM   #11
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
What does this mean? Are the white dials that much more expensive? I see they sell at roughly the same price, with condition and boxes/papers being a bigger separation in price point from the black dials. (Personally, I much prefer the black dials.)

The 16570 is a fabulous, under-appreciated reference that stands on its on and should never be a watch you just settle for. If you love it, got for it, but I'd seek the best condition for your budget and not worry about a "Swiss" only dial. That little quirk is far less important than overall condition.

How about a tritium black dial with some patina? Those are super cool.

Good luck in the hunt!
Thank you for your great advice. Yes here in my country, the grey dealers are selling the Polar dial for a premium over the black dial. I am drawn to the black dial more, and i also note that it uses the same movement as the 16710 GMT II?

I have been researching all day, and managed to find a "X-series" 16570 Tritium in black, asking for SGD $9000 with Box and papers, selling claims watch was lightly polished during a clean... What do you guys think?

This is my first time hunting for a vintage rolex as the others i currently have were inherited.
Old 27 March 2020, 02:09 AM   #12
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Some pictures of the watch which I have settled on purchasing. What do you guys think? Kindly advice.

Old 27 March 2020, 03:08 AM   #13
RyanPrasad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Just my op. but White > Black. Almost all the other Rolex sports models have black faces and I've always found that the white polar version of the 16570 stands out as the more unique one.
Old 27 March 2020, 03:09 AM   #14
RyanPrasad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Also I think someone in the classified section posted a great 16570 polar with some nice aged lume a few days back.
Old 27 March 2020, 03:54 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Some pictures of the watch which I have settled on purchasing. What do you guys think? Kindly advice.

Personally, I'd look for a better example. That case has been over-polished, IMHO. Those poor lugs have lost all of their original lines.

As for dial color, that's a matter of personal preference. The black dial is more old-school and still has a little DNA from the original Explorer II. The white dial is nice too, but has a more modern look.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 12:32 PM   #16
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

The clasps are also something to pay attention too. If there was one thing I would change about my black dial 16570 its a flip lock clasp. And maybe SEL, so two things, but neither of them was a deal breaker. And I've been extremely happy with the watch so far. Good luck on your journey!

SM-N960U
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 01:39 PM   #17
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Personally, I'd look for a better example. That case has been over-polished, IMHO. Those poor lugs have lost all of their original lines.

As for dial color, that's a matter of personal preference. The black dial is more old-school and still has a little DNA from the original Explorer II. The white dial is nice too, but has a more modern look.

Thanks. This example I found is 1992. It’s quite difficult to find tritium dials with complete box and papers and in very good shape where I am at in Singapore .

The other example I found is a SWISS only dial, complete box and papers with a slightly lower asking price. I prefer to buy locally as I would like to see the watch in person .

Old 27 March 2020, 01:43 PM   #18
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

What do you guys think of this example?

Old 27 March 2020, 01:44 PM   #19
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Personally I was hoping to get one with Tritium , so that I can enjoy the patina . But if the case is over polished and not in good shape, I would rather opt for the Swiss only dial variant.

Old 27 March 2020, 03:03 PM   #20
nigelk
"TRF" Member

I like the way tritium becomes yellow on black dials.

But for white dials I prefer it to be luminova/superluminova. Yellow on the white dial just looks weird to me.

I've owned both black and white versions before, I would say go for the white one. They should roughly be the same price. I haven't seen that much of a difference between the 2. And they are more likely of a conversation starter since its one of few white face rolexes ;)
nigelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 06:40 PM   #21
Kenneth.
"TRF" Member

I love the look and the 24hrs hand, making this piece a bit special.

The silver bezel is also a very humble yet blending in well with the rest of the watch. Doesn’t stand out and it requires a double take for some to know it is a 16570.

Though I am not particular into SWISS dial, but I am a fan of Swiss < 25.

Overall this is a undervalued great piece of Swiss watch.

Good luck on your decision and finding a SWISS Dial only piece with B&P.

Kenneth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 07:09 PM   #22
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Thanks mate, I am really about to pull the trigger on one. Some others have nothing positive to say about the watch eg. How plain and lack of presence it has... how it does not have 3 time zones like the GMT etc... but in my opinion it is a sports Rolex with that real tool watch vibes.

Also with my profession i would rather have something more understated and yet reliable as a solid tool watch. My other watches is a 1803 and 1601, the 1601 is rather small and case is over polished with a not so great condition jubilee , hence also making my decision to get the explorer as a daily.

I know prices of these have gone up over the years and have yet to become inflated to the point where it’s unattainable . I currently have the funds, and really am tempted to pull the trigger now.

Old 28 March 2020, 06:39 AM   #23
JBZ
"TRF" Member

I love the 16570 - it's my one Rolex (after trying many) and I wear it all the time. Of the two you posted, the case on the second looks better to me, but it's hard to tell with the pictures.

These are still relatively affordable, and there's no particular value in getting an earlier versus later version, assuming not having tritium isn't a deal breaker for you. Personally, I'd look for one in the best shape that you can afford and go for that.
JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 01:37 PM   #24
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Personally I was hoping to get one with Tritium , so that I can enjoy the patina . But if the case is over polished and not in good shape, I would rather opt for the Swiss only dial variant.

1. I’m a huge fan of the 16570. White or black. Outstanding daily watch.

2. I too, as someone noted above would go with the flip lock clasp, bracelet 78790a. That’s a huge difference

3. Tritium is kind of quaint, but I would go with the lume and get some glow at night. That makes a big difference for me.

4. Work hard to find full set, box papers booklets. It’s doable with this model.

5. Not sure where you’re at, but I see the selling in the US for between 6- $7000.

Good luck!!

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 01:43 PM   #25
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Thanks mate, I am really about to pull the trigger on one. Some others have nothing positive to say about the watch eg. How plain and lack of presence it has... how it does not have 3 time zones like the GMT etc... but in my opinion it is a sports Rolex with that real tool watch vibes.

Also with my profession i would rather have something more understated and yet reliable as a solid tool watch. My other watches is a 1803 and 1601, the 1601 is rather small and case is over polished with a not so great condition jubilee , hence also making my decision to get the explorer as a daily.

I know prices of these have gone up over the years and have yet to become inflated to the point where it’s unattainable . I currently have the funds, and really am tempted to pull the trigger now.

Not sure where u are or if these sellers ship int’l but Bobs got 11 listed and HQMilton has 3 listed now.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 08:25 AM   #26
Kenneth.
"TRF" Member

I think @WatchYouSeek is from Australia right?

Certainly full set would be great and this is a personal choice. I personally would also go for full set especially vintage piece that is pre-80s due to rare find and the history of it.

16570 is as great as all other sport model but without any media/marketing premium on it. A very humble piece.

Kenneth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 09:35 AM   #27
carl5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
You don't sound to me as though you have much passion for the 16570. If you are going to get one then I would suggest you focus on condition. Most of the explorer IIs are bought not by enthusiasts, collectors or investors but by those looking for a genuine tool watch. As such they tend to be used and generally show the marks from an active life. The bezel is the area that shows the most wear, so try to find one which is relatively unmarked as they are a devil to refinish. That said, i don't think the 16570 is anything special. I owned the white dial version and never really felt much warmth for it. I much prefer the current version and opted for that model when I was looking to add another Explorer to my collection. Of the others you mention then I am not a huge fan of the 16710. I have owned three over the years, but found them all to be somewhat characterless. Again I would opt (and have) for the modern ceramic version, but failing that try to save for one of the older acrylic crystal models (1675 or 16750). They have a lot more of a vintage charm to them. If you have your heart set on a five digit reference then the only one I would recommend is the 14060M. Great watch, classic design and a real icon. Good luck with your search (it is most of the fun).
You right, he doesn't seem serious with that particular model
carl5 is offline   Reply With Quote