The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 March 2020, 05:52 AM   #1
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Does this look like pitting to you?

Even though this 114270 Explorer I own isn’t vintage, and is made of 904L steel, there are some marks (almost invisible to the naked eye) on one lug, that under magnification got me worried. I don’t mind dings and scratches, as this is my “beater”/everyday watch, but I’m afraid it might be pitting. I’ve opened a thread on it on the general discussion forum, and a member told me to post it on the here, on the vintage forum. I’ll be annexing pictures. It seems to be affecting only one lug, from what I’ve observed. So is it pitting or just micro dings? Thanks in advance!
Photos:
https://imgur.com/a/SIccJ56
https://imgur.com/a/t8QN7AW
https://imgur.com/a/rFoNyZQ
DateJust74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 06:57 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like little dings. Do you happen to wear a bracelet with your watch by chance? Didnt I see this same question asked a while back?
Old 27 March 2020, 07:06 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Scratches and dings.
Old 28 March 2020, 10:54 AM   #4
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Looks like little dings. Do you happen to wear a bracelet with your watch by chance? Didnt I see this same question asked a while back?
No bracelet, but when I was given this watch, the person who gave it to me got it on the used market, so the previous owner could’ve worn a bracelet with the watch. Also, it’s only on one lug, not both, so maybe it wasn’t a bracelet.
Old 28 March 2020, 10:58 AM   #5
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Scratches and dings.
Exactly....pitting would happen inside the lugs or the where the caseback meets the case and might hold moisture then rust then pitting....that’s a worn watch with scratches and dings
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 06:44 AM   #6
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Noticed this on the bezel, on the opposite side of the watch. Enlarge the pics, you’ll see it doesn’t look like the average scratch. I’m also afraid it might be pitting.
https://imgur.com/a/NQZtt7O
Old 29 March 2020, 07:38 AM   #7
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Looks like more scratches...it’s a sports watch...I am wearing a 1680 5.2 serial never polished....it looks more or less like that watch or worse....and I love it...maybe your meant for newer watches
Old 29 March 2020, 07:41 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Just more scratches. That is not what corrosion looks like, and also not the place where you would find it. Stop obsessing over this.
Old 29 March 2020, 07:57 AM   #9
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Looks like more scratches...it’s a sports watch...I am wearing a 1680 5.2 serial never polished....it looks more or less like that watch or worse....and I love it...maybe your meant for newer watches
I don’t mind scratches at all, I am just paranoid about corrosion. I never polish my watches.
Old 29 March 2020, 09:45 AM   #10
larryccf
"TRF" Member

if the rolex cases are cast, and they may well be, those voids in the 1st image are what are called "negatives" where the molten metal didn't fully flow or there was air or gas trapped in the mold, or possibly the casting was pulled from the mold too early and cooled too fast at that lug with the metal contracting. I would expect pitting would not be striated like in that image, but rather pocked marked like the result of small pox.

Reason they're called negatives, they're the opposite of "positives" - ie, the cavity mold itself had pitting in it (depending on the type of casting) and molten metal ends up filling the voids in the cavity mold - and you get "bumps" or lumps on the surface of the casting

I'm not a metalurgist, but did work with castings. Hopefully a metalurgist will pop in and give his assessment

fwiw
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 09:47 AM   #11
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
if the rolex cases are cast, and they may well be, those voids in the 1st image are what are called "negatives" where the molten metal didn't fully flow or there was air or gas trapped in the mold

Reason they're called negatives, they're the opposite of "positives" - ie, the cavity mold itself had pitting in it (depending on the type of casting) and molten metal ends up filling the voids in the cavity mold - and you get "bumps" or lumps on the surface of the casting

fwiw
So you think Rolex let that watch leave the factory New with “voids” like that???? I think there dents, dings, and scratches like everybody has already told him...
Old 29 March 2020, 10:02 AM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
if the rolex cases are cast, and they may well be, those voids in the 1st image are what are called "negatives" where the molten metal didn't fully flow or there was air or gas trapped in the mold, or possibly the casting was pulled from the mold too early and cooled too fast at that lug with the metal contracting. I would expect pitting would not be striated like in that image, but rather pocked marked like the result of small pox.

I'm not a metalurgist, but did work with castings. Hopefully a metalurgist will pop in and give his assessment

fwiw
Not cast. Stamped and machined.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWSKyGRKHYA
Old 29 March 2020, 10:41 AM   #13
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:

fwiw
I've seen pictures from an old catalog showing gold cases being initially stamped from a sheet of metal. I suspect the cases are stamped and then machined on CNC machines.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 11:42 AM   #14
larryccf
"TRF" Member

now that you mention it, i recall those images in an early catalog, so you could be right. But they look just like "cracks" in a product we investment cast, had a few early in the production run showing fissues in the casting and it resolved when the foundry left the casting in the ceramic shells longer, to let it cool slower

what i wonder is how those got past Rolex's quality control program, assuming it's a true rolex
Old 29 March 2020, 12:13 PM   #15
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
now that you mention it, i recall those images in an early catalog, so you could be right. But they look just like "cracks" in a product we investment cast, had a few early in the production run showing fissues in the casting and it resolved when the foundry left the casting in the ceramic shells longer, to let it cool slower

what i wonder is how those got past Rolex's quality control program, assuming it's a true rolex
This watch is 11 years old. I know it’s legit because I’ve already opened it, checked the movement, and it’s legit. Also all the other tell tale signs of a real Rolex are present, and the serial numbers on the case and warranty card match, and I’ve googled them, and they are not fake serials. The watch is covered in dings and scratches, most from my use, but some by the previous owner.
Old 29 March 2020, 12:56 PM   #16
kwcsports
"TRF" Member

Nothing to worry about, just wear and tear. Enjoy your watch and don't sweat the small stuff.
kwcsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 03:56 PM   #17
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DateJust74 View Post
This watch is 11 years old. I know it’s legit because I’ve already opened it, checked the movement, and it’s legit. Also all the other tell tale signs of a real Rolex are present, and the serial numbers on the case and warranty card match, and I’ve googled them, and they are not fake serials. The watch is covered in dings and scratches, most from my use, but some by the previous owner.
personally, i'd take it to an aurthorized rolex service agent and ask him if he's ever seen another case like that. It's not pitting, and it's not normal, sorry, but i've had too many 50 & 60 yr old rolexes and tudors and none ever showed anything like that.

I suspect he'll offer to polish them out, but doubtful he'll guarantee those "fissues" won't return

sorry if you don't like my opinion but just telling you what i think