The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 29 March 2020, 01:08 AM   #61
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Prices have much further to fall IMO and for many hot watches they’re going to get very close to the MSRP floor if this doesn’t improve quickly.
MSRP may not be the floor. There may be a basement. Only time will tell.
Old 29 March 2020, 01:14 AM   #62
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosscheto View Post
Where do you check the prices btw? Obviously Chrono 24 is not reliable for a noobie like me.
Just call or email a trusted seller or call or email an AD.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 March 2020, 01:32 AM   #63
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Good deal for 5711 1A

The classifieds on here are a great source. WatchRecon. And dealer websites.

If you’re serious about making a purchase, please negotiate. The published price is not the price right now
Old 29 March 2020, 01:52 AM   #64
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
The classifieds on here are a great source. WatchRecon. And dealer websites.

If you’re serious about making a purchase, please negotiate. The published price is not the price right now
Indeed. I'm not going to name specific references or dealers, but prices I've been offered on some hot PPs from grey dealers are in the magnitude of 15-25% cheaper than the lowest price on C24 or WatchRecon recent listing.
Old 29 March 2020, 02:10 AM   #65
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
MSRP may not be the floor. There may be a basement. Only time will tell.
Haha you may be right! I really hope not, but the entire concept of MSRP as a floor is in itself a relatively new concept for modern watches.
Old 29 March 2020, 05:22 AM   #66
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Back in the great recession of the late 2000s, SS Nautilus was selling at 20-30% off MSRP. That was a different time period.

We don't know what the next few months or years will be like for the global economy. However I wouldn't buy a SS Nautilus for close to twice MSRP at today's market.
Old 29 March 2020, 05:57 AM   #67
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Back in the great recession of the late 2000s, SS Nautilus was selling at 20-30% off MSRP. That was a different time period.

We don't know what the next few months or years will be like for the global economy. However I wouldn't buy a SS Nautilus for close to twice MSRP at today's market.
Which SS Nautilus was offered 20-30% off MSRP in the late 2000s?
Old 29 March 2020, 06:09 AM   #68
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I don’t know why you continue to be so insulting. All because of a disagreement? we disagree. So what. Be nice.
Don't be so sensitive, it's not personal. Post and spread completely wrong information, you're going to get called out on it.
Old 29 March 2020, 06:11 AM   #69
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Why would grey dealers suddenly announce massive price reductions? They wouldn't unless forced to, when they really need the cash. However, I'm willing to bet that there's decent price differences between advertised and sold prices. We just wont ever see it.
This
Old 29 March 2020, 06:12 AM   #70
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Don't be so sensitive, it's not personal. Post and spread completely wrong information, you're going to get called out on it.
Let me help you with this

Completely wrong information = A persons viewpoint that disagrees with commonproject

Nice to see you’re a humble person as well.

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 March 2020, 06:48 AM   #71
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post

I recall you could get nice full set 5980s in the high 30s.
Old 29 March 2020, 07:07 AM   #72
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Watch: APRO & PPRegulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosscheto View Post
What is the situation where you live economically? With us is getting deeper and deeper into the sticky shit situation. I see around me (me included) all the jokes that this is an early summer vacation, drying up. I personally cannot afford to buy even at MSRP - I have a mortgage and a kid in a private school, I am not risking any of this. I have cash in the bank for two years, and I am buying only food and pencils.

It is a weird situation, have been waiting 2 years for an aquanaut, and I bet my balls - once they open I will get the call, but I do not have the balls to buy it. 17 500 CHF - this is half a year in school - too risky.
I give much respect to this post. Brother you are prob at the top 1% of responsible, fiscally sound but resourceful individuals in the world with 2 years of savings etc. If you arent buying at MSRP what do we say about the more recent less capitalized entrants into this hobby? No FUCKING way they are paying above retail if guys like you arent paying retail. Furthermore, there is less of a floor to liquidate to a dealer without losing too much money. Agree, we are all gonna be buying food and pencils to keep roofs over our heads and kids in school. Our families tolerate this hobby when there is general optimism I dont think we are seeing that for weeks if not months at the earliest.
Old 29 March 2020, 07:30 AM   #73
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
Let me help you with this

Completely wrong information = A persons viewpoint that disagrees with commonproject

Nice to see you’re a humble person as well.
Let me spell this out clearly for you - when you post around saying the popular models have not fallen in price by a single cent and how the grey's are selling at the same prices, you're completely wrong. That is not a viewpoint. That is spreading false information.

Go back and read your own posts in this thread, or do you need me to quote them again for everyone else to see?
Old 29 March 2020, 07:38 AM   #74
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Perhaps you haven’t noticed that pieces are selling on our very own sales boards here still. I haven’t seen them come down on pricing for the hot pieces one cent. I’m not saying they won’t come down a little in the future but Rolex is Rolex and Patek is Patek. We will see though.
Quote:
Let me spell this out clearly for you - when you post around saying the popular models have not fallen in price by a single cent and how the grey's are selling at the same prices, you're completely wrong. That is not a viewpoint. That is spreading false information.

Go back and read your own posts in this thread, or do you need me to quote them again for everyone else to see?
Don’t bother. Here it is. My bad. You’re absolutely right. I’ve seen a couple people drop the price of a black Daytona from $23,000 to $22,000. That’s certainly more than one cent. Sorry man. Huge drop there.

But still there are lots of other sales where they haven’t dropped the prices at all.

Listen, as Rolex continues to increase output and if the economy stays bad I’m sure prices will definitely come down. I certainly hope we don’t get to the point where we were 3 to 5 years ago because that would mean the economy would have to be bad. I’m not wishing for a bad economy so that we can all get hot Rolex models at MSRP. What I should say is so that you can get hot Rolex models at MSRP because I already do even with a great economy. :-)

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 March 2020, 07:51 AM   #75
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
Don’t bother. Here it is. My bad. You’re absolutely right. I’ve seen a couple people drop the price of a black Daytona from $23,000 to $22,000. That’s certainly more than one cent. Sorry man. Huge drop there.

But still there are lots of other sales where they haven’t dropped the prices at all.
Haven't dropped the prices? There you go spreading more false information. Just stop posting. None of these have even sold despite the price drops.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=697593
5711: $74.9-->$59.9K

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=725953
5712: $75K+ from original thread-->$59.7K

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=730567
5712: $67.8K

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=695372
5712:$80k-->$64.9K

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=719645
5711: $70K+-->$65.4K
Old 29 March 2020, 08:10 AM   #76
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronomentro View Post
I give much respect to this post. Brother you are prob at the top 1% of responsible, fiscally sound but resourceful individuals in the world with 2 years of savings etc. If you arent buying at MSRP what do we say about the more recent less capitalized entrants into this hobby? No FUCKING way they are paying above retail if guys like you arent paying retail. Furthermore, there is less of a floor to liquidate to a dealer without losing too much money. Agree, we are all gonna be buying food and pencils to keep roofs over our heads and kids in school. Our families tolerate this hobby when there is general optimism I dont think we are seeing that for weeks if not months at the earliest.
Brother there are two possible descriptions for my fiscal responsibility

a) born poor and afraid to get poor again

b) the wife is keeping my balls in a deadlock

On a serious note - I think the new strategies for Rolex and PP will be to move to more exclusivity in the higher end pieces and more liquidity on the entry lvl. This is quite achievable with the modern marketing tools - influencers, social media etc.

I am curious what will happen with Richard Mille - all these football players cutting their salaries now - would they outbid themselves for the RM 11s (my bet is yes, because they are not the smartest lads in the world).
Old 29 March 2020, 08:25 AM   #77
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Haven't dropped the prices? There you go spreading more false information. Just stop posting. None of these have even sold despite the price drops.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=697593
5711: $74.9-->$59.9K

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=725953
5712: $75K+ from original thread-->$59.7K

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=730567
5712: $67.8K

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=695372
5712:$80k-->$64.9K

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=719645
5711: $70K+-->$65.4K
Quote:

Listen, as Rolex continues to increase output and if the economy stays bad I’m sure prices will definitely come down. I certainly hope we don’t get to the point where we were 3 to 5 years ago because that would mean the economy would have to be bad. I’m not wishing for a bad economy so that we can all get hot Rolex models at MSRP. What I should say is so that you can get hot Rolex models at MSRP because I already do even with a great economy. :-)

Um........ those are Pateks. Specifically Nautilus of which were pretty much agreed-upon were overpriced to begin with. You know like before the virus..

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 March 2020, 08:45 AM   #78
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I still kick myself for turning down a 5712/1A for $29k back in 2015 (Brand new from AD).
Old 29 March 2020, 09:05 AM   #79
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
Um........ those are Pateks. Specifically Nautilus of which were pretty much agreed-upon were overpriced to begin with. You know like before the virus..
Um.......you're posting in a Patek forums and this is literally a thread about 5711. You post IN this thread about how popular models have not dropped a cent. And now you're going off about rolexes. Are you high on drugs from the coronavirus or something?
Old 29 March 2020, 09:12 AM   #80
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Um.......you're posting in a Patek forums and this is literally a thread about 5711. You post IN this thread about how popular models have not dropped a cent. And now you're going off about rolexes. Are you high on drugs from the coronavirus or something?
Yes but we switched to talking about all watches in general. My only argument about the 5711 is that it will never be sold at MSRP by greys or even close to MSRP. It was stupid of me to continue to engage you once I had an understanding of your general overall attitude......I won’t make that mistake again.

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 March 2020, 09:28 AM   #81
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
Yes but we switched to talking about all watches in general. My only argument about the 5711 is that it will never be sold at MSRP by greys or even close to MSRP. It was stupid of me to continue to engage you once I had an understanding of your general overall attitude......I won’t make that mistake again.
No we didn't. This thread was consistently about 5711 prices until you started randomly posting about how prices are not falling at all and you can get rolexes at MSRP for who knows why.
Old 29 March 2020, 09:43 AM   #82
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I dont look at my watches as investment per se but like many of you I certainly dont like taking a bath if it can be avoided.

A lot of folks spent liberally at ADs on jewelry, bundled watches that they prob dont love, etc all to move up the wait list to then purchase at MSRP. This along with the wait time and opportunity cost figure into your purchase price.

We would all seem to all agree that pre COVID that Nautis were "overpriced"but yet what is a reasonable valuation? Its so hard to determine, right? which is why so many people post on these forums for advice when a dealers posts a for sale. (This is how this thread started of course).

Im inclined to suggest 10-15% over MSRP for a (near) mint B&P for any Nauti on bracelet. Would you all agree or am I way off?
Old 29 March 2020, 09:44 AM   #83
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Doing some spring cleaning today, came across a Patek UK brochure and price list from 2010. 5711 listed at £14880. Now £23440!
Old 29 March 2020, 09:48 AM   #84
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

5740 is at retail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 March 2020, 09:53 AM   #85
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronomentro View Post
I dont look at my watches as investment per se but like many of you I certainly dont like taking a bath if it can be avoided.

A lot of folks spent liberally at ADs on jewelry, bundled watches that they prob dont love, etc all to move up the wait list to then purchase at MSRP. This along with the wait time and opportunity cost figure into your purchase price.

We would all seem to all agree that pre COVID that Nautis were "overpriced"but yet what is a reasonable valuation? Its so hard to determine, right? which is why so many people post on these forums for advice when a dealers posts a for sale. (This is how this thread started of course).

Im inclined to suggest 10-15% over MSRP for a (near) mint B&P for any Nauti on bracelet. Would you all agree or am I way off?

Really hard to say. The 5711 is just so wildly popular and for better or worse has become the face of PP to many. I think it’s hard to see them selling for low to mid $40s. But, I certainly see other Nautilus and most Aquanauts headed there in the not too distant future.

Your guess is as good as mine
Old 29 March 2020, 10:01 AM   #86
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
5740 is at retail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry I wasnt aware-you are saying the 5740 which is at the top of prior threads "Lack of Availability Rankings" is now selling at retail price?!?

If this is true, considering where we are, then what would this say about the 5711/1R and the steel models even those that are discontinued?
Old 29 March 2020, 10:07 AM   #87
zahain
"TRF" Member

i've seen a few dealers at 135-140k us for a 5740 but not retail.. I think a platinum variant with a light ice blue dial would be cool
Old 29 March 2020, 11:27 AM   #88
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
The market price of the 5711/1A and the 5800/1A pre-owned was 20-30% less than MSRP. In 2009, I was deciding between the 5711/1A and the 5800/1A. They were both available for under $15K USD. Their MSRP was around $20K at the time.

TRF has changed a changed in the past 10 years. Most of the current forum members have only joined in the past few years. Those of us who have been around 10+ years have seen the ups and downs of the watch market.
Old 29 March 2020, 11:46 AM   #89
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The market price of the 5711/1A and the 5800/1A pre-owned was 20-30% less than MSRP. In 2009, I was deciding between the 5711/1A and the 5800/1A. They were both available for under $15K USD. Their MSRP was around $20K at the time.

TRF has changed a changed in the past 10 years. Most of the current forum members have only joined in the past few years. Those of us who have been around 10+ years have seen the ups and downs of the watch market.
Due to the relatively quick recovery of asset prices from 2009 lows, it appears to me that many people believe that quick recovery is inevitable. It would need to be bad for many years before people would start dumping 5711 - to cause people to believe that “this time it’s really different” . It would also be interesting know how many owners are passionate about watches or just want to own the “it” watches - highly passionate owners will sell other things first since a 5711 is irreplaceable in many ways.
Old 29 March 2020, 12:07 PM   #90
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans86 View Post
Was offered a SS blue 5711 mint full set from 2018 for 50k today. Do you think it is a good deal? Seems price continues downward path.
Man... I mean, it's fifty. Thousand. Dollars. You know?

Lot of HH at that level. How much do YOU want it?
Closed Thread