The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 April 2020, 12:17 AM   #1
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
6694- Authentcity check

Hi all, I saw this watch randomly browsing ebay earlier. Obviously its just a head, that needs a service w a refinished dial, but seems at least to me that it has potential. The price is clearly really low, but id imagine the bidding will go up closer to the end of the listing. I must admit im considering putting in a bid if it stays on the low end. So how does this look authenticity wise?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rol...R/202968267954
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 12:28 AM   #2
rokonman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16013 17000 79230
Seller has said it all. Bet it breaks 1500.00. Bored folks just got their stimulus checks. I have been selling my surplus shooting stuff. Everything is selling really fast. The opposite of what you’d expect.
rokonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 12:56 AM   #3
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokonman View Post
Seller has said it all. Bet it breaks 1500.00. Bored folks just got their stimulus checks. I have been selling my surplus shooting stuff. Everything is selling really fast. The opposite of what you’d expect.
does everything look genuine?
Old 19 April 2020, 01:04 AM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Everything looks genuine and the seller has pointed out all of its faults. It looks like a solid wearer. Keep in mind that it is just the head. I personally wouldnt pay anymore than about $900 the way it sits without a bracelet but its eBay so you know it will go over that. You dont have to worry about 6694s because there are so many parts out there and I have never seen a fake 6694 case.
Old 19 April 2020, 01:04 AM   #5
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
I have the identical watch, everything looks A-OK. You WILL need to service that watch and replace the gaskets, but after that just source a 19mm strap and as long as you don't have huge wrists (mine are 7.25" and 34mm looks fine, particularly in long sleeves) this watch can serve you as a daily for another fifty years.

When you service the watch, consider replacing the mainspring. Not expensive and I wish I'd done mine, it has only a day's PR. A new MS would give you more than a day's wear. Anyway good luck
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 01:14 AM   #6
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
I have the identical watch, everything looks A-OK. You WILL need to service that watch and replace the gaskets, but after that just source a 19mm strap and as long as you don't have huge wrists (mine are 7.25" and 34mm looks fine, particularly in long sleeves) this watch can serve you as a daily for another fifty years.

When you service the watch, consider replacing the mainspring. Not expensive and I wish I'd done mine, it has only a day's PR. A new MS would give you more than a day's wear. Anyway good luck
My thoughts with an example like this would be to give it the full RSC treatment since I don't really like how the refinished dial looks anyway. I have a 34mm 5500 which fits nicely on my 6.5 inch wrist, so this also being 34mm I wouldn't imagine would feel differently on the wrist other than how it would sit as the caseback is a bit flatter w the handwind caliber.
Old 19 April 2020, 01:18 AM   #7
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Everything looks genuine and the seller has pointed out all of its faults. It looks like a solid wearer. Keep in mind that it is just the head. I personally wouldnt pay anymore than about $900 the way it sits without a bracelet but its eBay so you know it will go over that. You dont have to worry about 6694s because there are so many parts out there and I have never seen a fake 6694 case.
Thanks for the insight. Depending on how high the bidding goes(as you said I wouldn't want to pay more than $900 w just the head and refinished dial) I may take the risk and buy it. I would definitely want it to have a bracelet, so im sure at some point id send it to RSC for the full treatment.
Old 19 April 2020, 01:56 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewaferthin View Post
Thanks for the insight. Depending on how high the bidding goes(as you said I wouldn't want to pay more than $900 w just the head and refinished dial) I may take the risk and buy it. I would definitely want it to have a bracelet, so im sure at some point id send it to RSC for the full treatment.
I agree that the dial is pretty bad. If you send it to RSC, won't you pay another $1k for service and replacement parts. And then you'll have a watch with service parts. It's almost never cost-effective to do that unless you find the watch at an estate sale. You could try to find a decent period-correct dial on eBay, which seems plausible, but honestly, I would wait for a legit example. Who wants to pay top dollar for a project. These are common and not really in great demand.

Use the eBay advanced search feature to look through SOLD listings and you will see what you can expect to find with a little patience.
Old 19 April 2020, 02:06 AM   #9
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I agree that the dial is pretty bad. If you send it to RSC, won't you pay another $1k for service and replacement parts. And then you'll have a watch with service parts. It's almost never cost-effective to do that unless you find the watch at an estate sale. You could try to find a decent period-correct dial on eBay, which seems plausible, but honestly, I would wait for a legit example. Who wants to pay top dollar for a project. These are common and not really in great demand.

Use the eBay advanced search feature to look through SOLD listings and you will see what you can expect to find with a little patience.
Thanks for your insight. Unless this stays on the low end price wise(which I doubt it will when the auction nears the end), ill probably pass. I paid $1630.00 for my 5500 in 2016, and that watch wasn't in great shape when I got it however it still had its original dial non refinished dial, hands, etc. Later got it fully serviced cosmetically and mechanically by Central Watch a year later. What do 6694s that are all original go for? Ive seen many that are 3k and the higher end of 2k which seems way to high for what they are, and this is without box or any kind of vintage papers. Thoughts? Thanks again
Old 19 April 2020, 02:25 AM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ive seen many that are 3k and the higher end of 2k which seems way to high for what they are, and this is without box or any kind of vintage papers. Thoughts? Thanks again
I assume you're talking about asking prices. As I mentioned, some research using the eBay advanced search feature, checking the SOLD box, will be very revealing. Also, use watchrecon to look at listings from other collectors.

I think you will find that you can get an average one for about $1500 USD with patience, closer to $2k with bracelet. A really fine example maybe a few hundred more, with some flaws a few hundred less. Roughly speaking. Obviously, if you're in a rush, you will always pay more. As I always say ... fast, cheap, good ... you can have two of the three, but not all three.
Old 19 April 2020, 02:30 AM   #11
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Do you really intend to wear a 34mm watch in today’s 40mm+ times??
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 03:03 AM   #12
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

There is a regional component to 6694 prices, I've definitely seen them sell for more in the UK than in the USA. I bought one, had it serviced, have it on a jubilee bracelet, it's a great watch. I know we don't use the term "entry level" because it stigmatizes, but that really describes the 6694: manual wind, calendar, good wrist presence, announces "Rolex" with classic styling, etc.

"Size envy" is a slippery slope. I wear bubblebacks, I'm wearing one today. Those are 32mm. I also wear a lot of 48mm chronographs. Size is a preference thing.
Old 19 April 2020, 03:15 AM   #13
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

definitely like the 34mm size. Still not sure on this one. Shall see what happens w the auction. I know im probably in the minority here, but I don't mind the idea of service parts(dial, hands, bracelet) at least not on a 6694 like this.
Old 19 April 2020, 03:39 AM   #14
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Does the case on this watch look ok to you guys? Is it normal by the crown to have a spot that kinda "juts" out like it does?
Old 19 April 2020, 05:10 AM   #15
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I assume you're talking about asking prices. As I mentioned, some research using the eBay advanced search feature, checking the SOLD box, will be very revealing. Also, use watchrecon to look at listings from other collectors.

I think you will find that you can get an average one for about $1500 USD with patience, closer to $2k with bracelet. A really fine example maybe a few hundred more, with some flaws a few hundred less. Roughly speaking. Obviously, if you're in a rush, you will always pay more. As I always say ... fast, cheap, good ... you can have two of the three, but not all three.
Solid advice. Thank you. At this point, I think im going to stay on the hunt. I am definitely in no rush for such a piece, and for sure want to find the best one I can find for my money. Curious, do these rarely come with a full set(box papers, etc)? Have only seen one or two with a complete set.

Ideally id like one with an original black dial and a full set would be an excellent bonus.
Old 19 April 2020, 05:48 AM   #16
LChanyungco
"TRF" Member

Hard pass on this. For the price that this 6694 will likely sell for you could get a much nicer watch. Won't be a Rolex but still...
LChanyungco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 05:57 AM   #17
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LChanyungco View Post
Hard pass on this. For the price that this 6694 will likely sell for you could get a much nicer watch. Won't be a Rolex but still...
Definitely going to pass on this one. Will keep on the lookout for an original good condition example. Definitely not in a rush, but I do look forward to scratching my itch for a hand winding Rolex.
Old 19 April 2020, 08:23 AM   #18
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Definitely going to pass on this one. Will keep on the lookout for an original good condition example. Definitely not in a rush, but I do look forward to scratching my itch for a hand winding Rolex.
Good call. You can do much better than this one. Probably won't take too long, either; there are lots of these. My spouse and I have his and hers 6694s. They are a pleasure to wear.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 05:00 PM   #19
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-NJDEVILS View Post
Do you really intend to wear a 34mm watch in today’s 40mm+ times??
[Facepalm] 34 mm roolz.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote