The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 April 2020, 10:31 PM   #1
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Day date 36 leather strap - gold plated buckle?

Hi, I’m looking to purchase a leather strap for my day date 36, my friend has one which has Rolex printed on the inside of the leather and says it’s a official strap. But the buckle is gold plated, is this standard or does it vary by age? I would preferably have a solid one.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 12:03 AM   #2
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Hi and great question. Several years back I was at the NYC RSC having my bracelet adjusted on my 5 digit Day-Date. While there I was speaking to the service rep and inquired about a leather strap and buckle as well as dial for my watch. They were pleased to offer me a few options:

Strap: Alligator for $360, Lizard for $180 (both stamped Rolex)
Buckle: Gold plated pin buckle (non-deployant) for $66 and 18K gold for $825
Dial: $600 (non-diamond) plus $90 for matching hands and $150 labor charge to install (these dial/hands prices were assuming a trade-in of my current ones)

In looking at both buckles side by side I really could not tell the difference. Perhaps over time they wear differently but based on the considerable price difference she told me that most people choose gold plated when buying. While I too would want the 18K I certainly can appreciate why people choose plated over solid based on the price.

I hope this helps with your question.

-andrew
Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 12:43 AM   #3
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NYC View Post
Hi and great question. Several years back I was at the NYC RSC having my bracelet adjusted on my 5 digit Day-Date. While there I was speaking to the service rep and inquired about a leather strap and buckle as well as dial for my watch. They were pleased to offer me a few options:

Strap: Alligator for $360, Lizard for $180 (both stamped Rolex)
Buckle: Gold plated pin buckle (non-deployant) for $66 and 18K gold for $825
Dial: $600 (non-diamond) plus $90 for matching hands and $150 labor charge to install (these dial/hands prices were assuming a trade-in of my current ones)

In looking at both buckles side by side I really could not tell the difference. Perhaps over time they wear differently but based on the considerable price difference she told me that most people choose gold plated when buying. While I too would want the 18K I certainly can appreciate why people choose plated over solid based on the price.

I hope this helps with your question.

-andrew
Thanks for the reply that does help. I didn’t think if I’d be able to purchase one from an AD I’ll give him a try before I buy anything used.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote