The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 May 2020, 11:17 AM   #1
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

JLC Master Control Collection 2020

Curious what people’s thoughts are on the new collection. I think they are really nice. I was initially drawn to the new Chronograph Calendar. Also looking at the simple date version. I definitely think they nailed it on these. While I love the straps it’s a bit of a direct copy of the Patek Weekly Calendar, not sure why they chose to make that so blatant.
timewarped80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 11:21 AM   #2
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
All of the brands copy from each other in one way or another.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
N2theCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 02:27 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarped80 View Post
Curious what people’s thoughts are on the new collection. I think they are really nice. I was initially drawn to the new Chronograph Calendar. Also looking at the simple date version. I definitely think they nailed it on these. While I love the straps it’s a bit of a direct copy of the Patek Weekly Calendar, not sure why they chose to make that so blatant.
Love them! Best new/re-vamped watches of the year (so far), and with new in-house movements, no less. In general, JLCs are way undervalued, IMHO. The movements, designs and finishing are worthy of much more expensive timepieces. They're stunning. I actually like the new straps, and they come with a new quick-change feature, so swapping it, say, with a black gator, would be easy.

I especially love the re-designed Master Control Calendar. In addition to the smart cosmetic changes, there's that new date-jump feature. (I posted this video on another thread, but worth repeating.) Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYfy4i8MNTk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JLC-Calendar.jpg (278.1 KB, 638 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 05:50 AM   #4
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Love them! Best new/re-vamped watches of the year (so far), and with new in-house movements, no less. In general, JLCs are way undervalued, IMHO. The movements, designs and finishing are worthy of much more expensive timepieces. They're stunning. I actually like the new straps, and they come with a new quick-change feature, so swapping it, say, with a black gator, would be easy.

I especially love the re-designed Master Control Calendar. In addition to the smart cosmetic changes, there's that new date-jump feature. (I posted this video on another thread, but worth repeating.) Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYfy4i8MNTk
I love this reference more and more every time I see it.

Jumping date hand is the obvious change, and welcome at that. I feel that any piece with a moonphase needs to go to lengths to highlight it. This is why the MUT moon is adored. I think Lange does a great job with their moonphase complications as well, even better actually, but needed at that price point.

The little touches compared to the previous model are a step in the right direction as well. The size of the 3/9/12 indices, the addition of the luminescent dots at the 5-minute indices, and the individual painted minute indices look better. This also makes it easier to set the time when getting the minute hand spot on when the second hand crosses 60 seconds. They got rid of the small seconds numbering, narrowed the small seconds track, updated the moon disc, and put a blued steel small seconds hand. These all work in harmony to accentuate the complication, while remaining readable. Even the day/month apertures look more crisp, at least online. To top it all off they gave the date hand a more delicate tip with the JLC logo rather than the traditional crescent.

In comparison to the Patek 5396 I think the JLC is better in every way. For starters, the design on that dial sucks as the 24-hour indicator is partially obscured by the handset up top and the date aperture on the bottom. The moon disc is too small and bland. The day/month apertures are crammed. I even like the case a bit better on the JLC.

They've knocked it out of the park with all of the releases. In addition to welcome aesthetic changes, they movements have been updated to today's standards. Definitely on my radar!
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 07:09 AM   #5
Mad Hatter
"TRF" Member

JLC is a fabulous product, I do wish there was a bit more contrast on the dials (silver dial, silver hands, silver indices, etc) but cannot deny the classy elegance of the collection.
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 07:34 AM   #6
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
JLC is a fabulous product, I do wish there was a bit more contrast on the dials (silver dial, silver hands, silver indices, etc) but cannot deny the classy elegance of the collection.
This ... +1
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 01:36 PM   #7
campfire
"TRF" Member

Love the new releases. Nice to see them keep on improving their offerings.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 01:53 PM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I love this reference more and more every time I see it.

Jumping date hand is the obvious change, and welcome at that. I feel that any piece with a moonphase needs to go to lengths to highlight it. This is why the MUT moon is adored. I think Lange does a great job with their moonphase complications as well, even better actually, but needed at that price point.

The little touches compared to the previous model are a step in the right direction as well. The size of the 3/9/12 indices, the addition of the luminescent dots at the 5-minute indices, and the individual painted minute indices look better. This also makes it easier to set the time when getting the minute hand spot on when the second hand crosses 60 seconds. They got rid of the small seconds numbering, narrowed the small seconds track, updated the moon disc, and put a blued steel small seconds hand. These all work in harmony to accentuate the complication, while remaining readable. Even the day/month apertures look more crisp, at least online. To top it all off they gave the date hand a more delicate tip with the JLC logo rather than the traditional crescent.

In comparison to the Patek 5396 I think the JLC is better in every way. For starters, the design on that dial sucks as the 24-hour indicator is partially obscured by the handset up top and the date aperture on the bottom. The moon disc is too small and bland. The day/month apertures are crammed. I even like the case a bit better on the JLC.

They've knocked it out of the park with all of the releases. In addition to welcome aesthetic changes, they movements have been updated to today's standards. Definitely on my radar!

Great, detailed breakdown, highlighting the updates. They also went with an applied logo, instead of painted, beneath the 12. Very nice touch, in addition to everything else.
Old 2 May 2020, 01:57 PM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
Well, you have a striking blue, large moonphase window for contrast and a red-tipped date hand. Also, keep in mind that half of each of the hour and minute hands are brushed, and the other half is polished, which adds contrast to the way the light hits them.

I think these are over-exposed Photoshop renditions anyway. I bet in the flesh they look even better. We’ll see.
Old 2 May 2020, 04:09 PM   #10
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Love them. I’d go for the Calendar personally.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 10:11 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the new releases and will check them out at my AD when they arrive.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 11:02 PM   #12
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
JLC Master Control Collection 2020

JLC did well with this release, impressive. That watch on a black or dark blue rich leather strap would be amazing.
Old 3 May 2020, 02:30 AM   #13
2bigalow
"TRF" Member

JLC hit a home run with this revival. The wife wanted to buy me a watch as a retirement gift, so I was considering a Reserso for the classic, timeless, look. But the new master control chronograph calendar has taken the #1 spot. Just a stunner.
2bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 03:33 AM   #14
Jinson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Older GMTs & Subs
I agree with all the comments including a major power reserve boost to a fine in-house movement.
Jinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 06:32 AM   #15
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarped80 View Post
While I love the straps it’s a bit of a direct copy of the Patek Weekly Calendar, not sure why they chose to make that so blatant.
How are any of these:

A "blatant" copy of this?

You'll note that the design of these JLC's, save the chronograph, have been around for much, much longer than the Patek.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 07:12 AM   #16
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

JLC has done very well with these new releases. Both the annual calendar and the chrono look superb. The annual calendar is a nice sporty option to the dressy perpetual. Wonder if they will stick to stainless with these models or add pm later.
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 01:39 PM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
How are any of these:

A "blatant" copy of this?

You'll note that the design of these JLC's, save the chronograph, have been around for much, much longer than the Patek.
Neither brand is the first to feature tan straps. That look has been around a long time. I'd say the Patek looks more like it has a Breitling-style strap anyway, with its thicker stitching with more contrast.

Overall, they look quite different, alebit with a similar color strap. Straps are easily changed anyway, and the JLCs have a new quick-change system. I'd throw a black gator on the JLC Master Calendar as its main strap, but the tan would be nice to mix it up.
Old 3 May 2020, 10:41 PM   #18
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Neither brand is the first to feature tan straps. That look has been around a long time. I'd say the Patek looks more like it has a Breitling-style strap anyway, with its thicker stitching with more contrast.

Overall, they look quite different, alebit with a similar color strap. Straps are easily changed anyway, and the JLCs have a new quick-change system. I'd throw a black gator on the JLC Master Calendar as its main strap, but the tan would be nice to mix it up.
I absolutely agree. These are also press photos. I was asking the OP how the JLC's are a "blatant" knock off. I'm curious if their answer is simply, "they both come on tan straps" or if they have some sort of valid reply... Because I'm not seeing the JLC's as being derivative of the Patek in any way.
Old 3 May 2020, 11:19 PM   #19
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Hard to read silver hands on a silvery white face. I had a MUT Moon that I found hard to read. I like to read the time. Otherwise, attractive watches. I am a JLC fan.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 11:21 PM   #20
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc View Post
Wonder if they will stick to stainless with these models or add pm later.
Rose gold Chrono and Geographic model pics already out there

https://engnews24h.com/jaeger-lecoul...ian-newspaper/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rkp1fDTLns

The more I see the MC Date Chrono version the less it makes sense. Plus the resting position for big chrono second hand at 12 o'clock means that the long broad counter balance portion is obscuring the moonphase. JLC went to the effort of designing the movement on the MC Date to jump the subdial yet obscures it on the Chrono. Odd.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 12:26 AM   #21
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Rose gold Chrono and Geographic model pics already out there

https://engnews24h.com/jaeger-lecoul...ian-newspaper/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rkp1fDTLns

The more I see the MC Date Chrono version the less it makes sense. Plus the resting position for big chrono second hand at 12 o'clock means that the long broad counter balance portion is obscuring the moonphase. JLC went to the effort of designing the movement on the MC Date to jump the subdial yet obscures it on the Chrono. Odd.
That's a very astute observation.
Old 4 May 2020, 02:35 AM   #22
thrillhouse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
I agree that blocking some of the moonphase with the chrono hand is an interesting design choice, but it’s not without precedence. Patek 2499 for example.
thrillhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 03:35 AM   #23
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc View Post
JLC has done very well with these new releases. Both the annual calendar and the chrono look superb. The annual calendar is a nice sporty option to the dressy perpetual. Wonder if they will stick to stainless with these models or add pm later.
I think it’s a triple calendar, not an annual calendar.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 03:40 AM   #24
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Shame the hands were not blue
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 04:20 AM   #25
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
Maybe next update. Blued hands on silver/white has a sharp contrast.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 04:53 AM   #26
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Really like the blued syringe hands on my MC Sector dial Chrono. Excellent contrast for time-telling at a glance
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:12 AM   #27
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I like the triple calendar better than the old one with the yellow (or rose?) gold moon. However, after flipping 2 master controls I'll be passing - the tone on tone markers on dial quickly got boring & also not easy to read in some conditions.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:35 AM   #28
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Great thread
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 07:37 AM   #29
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Hard to read silver hands on a silvery white face. I had a MUT Moon that I found hard to read. I like to read the time. Otherwise, attractive watches. I am a JLC fan.
Won't know whether that's an issue until seeing the new Master Control line in the flesh, but I doubt it's a problem.

The combo of silver/steel hands on a silvery dial makes up a huge chunk of all watches made by many brands for many decades. Light catches and reflects differently on the surfaces, making them fairly easy to read in most cases. Also, the JLC hands are half polished and half brushed to increase contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
Well, some of hands are blue now, on the sub-dials, but perhaps you mean the hour and minute hands.
Old 4 May 2020, 07:37 AM   #30
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djona View Post
I think it’s a triple calendar, not an annual calendar.
I stand corrected. Also have now seen the you tube video of the rose gold chrono -- very nice.
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote