The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 May 2020, 02:24 PM   #1
mongobongo
"TRF" Member

Can anyone assist with Tudor hands ???

Hi,

another question.

I found some OEM watch hands that may very well do for my watch.

However when I asked the seller (good reputation on chronos store) if they would fit my watch, he said he did not know and that i should find a Tudor catalog to check as their is a good chance that they do.

Obviously that is not something available to me.

So hoping someone would be able to assist if hands in question will fit.

Now to the details.

The watch hands the seller is advertising are for a

Rolex Tudor 9080/0 38 mm ETA 2784

And my watch is a

Rolex Tudor 9061/0 34 mm ETA 2784

Now its unlikely as there is a 4 mm difference in the case size, but maybe the actual dial size are not so much different and hence the hands may be the same.

Failing that, I was wondering if the hands from a Rolex 1500/1501 would also fit on the ETA 2784.

Having looked at many hands in the last week or so, ive noticed that there are differences in the hands that are being sold for the "same" model.

The differences i am noticing are in the length and thickness of the lume.

Most of the Rolex 1500/1501 hands I have found do not match those of my watch (length/width of lume), but a couple are close, just dont know if they would fit.

Cheers
mongobongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 04:25 PM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongobongo View Post
Hi,

another question.

I found some OEM watch hands that may very well do for my watch.

However when I asked the seller (good reputation on chronos store) if they would fit my watch, he said he did not know and that i should find a Tudor catalog to check as their is a good chance that they do.

Obviously that is not something available to me.

So hoping someone would be able to assist if hands in question will fit.

Now to the details.

The watch hands the seller is advertising are for a

Rolex Tudor 9080/0 38 mm ETA 2784

And my watch is a

Rolex Tudor 9061/0 34 mm ETA 2784

Now its unlikely as there is a 4 mm difference in the case size, but maybe the actual dial size are not so much different and hence the hands may be the same.

Failing that, I was wondering if the hands from a Rolex 1500/1501 would also fit on the ETA 2784.

Having looked at many hands in the last week or so, ive noticed that there are differences in the hands that are being sold for the "same" model.

The differences i am noticing are in the length and thickness of the lume.

Most of the Rolex 1500/1501 hands I have found do not match those of my watch (length/width of lume), but a couple are close, just dont know if they would fit.

Cheers
Rule of thumb is, same movement means hands are compatible. Looks like both 2784 which means the hands will fit. Now whether they are the same type i'm haven't done any research into but i'm sure you can tell this visually.

The Rolex hands will not fit.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 10:45 PM   #3
mongobongo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
Rule of thumb is, same movement means hands are compatible. Looks like both 2784 which means the hands will fit. Now whether they are the same type i'm haven't done any research into but i'm sure you can tell this visually.

The Rolex hands will not fit.
Hi Matey!

Thanks for your comments, yes they are exactly the same type, the asking price is 150.00€ (around 250.00 Australia dollars) and the hands are NOS and luminova, from what ive seen the asking price seems fair but I dont really have the experience to be judging on this, only going by what ive read while researching the webs.

Regarding the "rule of thumb", are you saying that this would be the case for the same ETA even if the watch was lets say 40 mm compared against 34 mm ?

And thanks for clearing up my question regards the Rolex hands, as thats mainly the only thing ive been able to find, looks like a got real fortunate to find the 'correct' ones.

Really appreciate the advice

Old 7 May 2020, 12:44 AM   #4
mongobongo
"TRF" Member

OK, I received better pictures from the seller.

Unfortunately the hands are not the same

:(

My hands are 'triangulated', where as the hands that are being sold are 'channeled'

I really need to be able to post a picture, hope my explanation above makes sense

** EDIT **
Didnt have to wait this time for the post to appear, there will be another message I posted several hours ago, that will appear at some time once its approved that quotes your response.

Still need more posts before I can add pictures
Old 7 May 2020, 09:14 AM   #5
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Matey!

Thanks for your comments, yes they are exactly the same type, the asking price is 150.00€ (around 250.00 Australia dollars) and the hands are NOS and luminova, from what ive seen the asking price seems fair but I dont really have the experience to be judging on this, only going by what ive read while researching the webs.

Regarding the "rule of thumb", are you saying that this would be the case for the same ETA even if the watch was lets say 40 mm compared against 34 mm ?

And thanks for clearing up my question regards the Rolex hands, as thats mainly the only thing ive been able to find, looks like a got real fortunate to find the 'correct' ones.

Really appreciate the advice

Taking a step back here. The rule of thumb comment is more about the compatibility rather than the visual appearance of it. Different size cases will often result in different size hands otherwise the watch will look odd. But the fit (ie. hands fitting on the movement itself) should be the same if its the same movement.

Tudor movements, conveniently enough, are pretty consistent over time. Most of their movements have the same hand sizes, despite different era and movement types. For example, the 390 (vintage submariners) vs. 2784 (70's, 80's) vs. 2824 (current date) mostly share the same hand sizes.

Also, you need 10 posts to post pictures. Many different ways of achieving that.
Old 7 May 2020, 04:19 PM   #6
mongobongo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Taking a step back here. The rule of thumb comment is more about the compatibility rather than the visual appearance of it. Different size cases will often result in different size hands otherwise the watch will look odd. But the fit (ie. hands fitting on the movement itself) should be the same if its the same movement.

Tudor movements, conveniently enough, are pretty consistent over time. Most of their movements have the same hand sizes, despite different era and movement types. For example, the 390 (vintage submariners) vs. 2784 (70's, 80's) vs. 2824 (current date) mostly share the same hand sizes.

Also, you need 10 posts to post pictures. Many different ways of achieving that.
Hi!

Thanks for clarifying, now I know what to look out for.

Ive seen a tritium set on eBay that look to be in immaculate condition, but obviously they are not going to show in the dark. They are for a 94510 so an ETA 2824, from what you have described above, these should be great for my watch.

I may just grab the tritium ones and than an after market Luminova set. I can than store the tritium and use the Luminova on the watch.

As already mentioned, also have seen hands for a 94500 and although both sets are 'triangulated' the width and size of the lume on the hands is not the same.
Old 7 May 2020, 09:27 PM   #7
mongobongo
"TRF" Member

Lets do a picture test

The hands on my watch, 'triangulated')

The hands of the 9080, 'channeled'

Yay, it works

:)
Old 9 May 2020, 03:41 AM   #8
mongobongo
"TRF" Member

Can anyone confirm for me if the hands for an ETA 2834 (Tudor 94510) will fit on an ETA 2784 ?

Thanks
Old 9 May 2020, 10:28 AM   #9
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can anyone confirm for me if the hands for an ETA 2834 (Tudor 94510) will fit on an ETA 2784 ?

Thanks
the 28XX should be compatible, if not perfect, a little tweak to the pinion will do.
Old 10 May 2020, 03:21 AM   #10
mongobongo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the 28XX should be compatible, if not perfect, a little tweak to the pinion will do.
Hmmm, going to have to do some more researching.

I was hoping it was just a matter of removing the current hands with a pair of tweezers and then placing the replacement ones back.

From what you have said above it seems it is more involved than what i first anticipated.

The pinion you are refering to is the cannon pinion?

Off to research some more ......

Thanks

** EDIT **
OK, understand the pinions you refered to, unsure how these would be tweaked as they are of a fixed diameter.

As a young boy many moons ago I remember dismantling several watches and now having watched a few videos it amazes me that I would use the same methodology to line up the hands without anyone to have ever showed me.
Old 10 May 2020, 08:29 AM   #11
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmmm, going to have to do some more researching.

I was hoping it was just a matter of removing the current hands with a pair of tweezers and then placing the replacement ones back.

From what you have said above it seems it is more involved than what i first anticipated.

The pinion you are refering to is the cannon pinion?

Off to research some more ......

Thanks

** EDIT **
OK, understand the pinions you refered to, unsure how these would be tweaked as they are of a fixed diameter.

As a young boy many moons ago I remember dismantling several watches and now having watched a few videos it amazes me that I would use the same methodology to line up the hands without anyone to have ever showed me.
it should fit but what you often encounter with vintage watches is the original hand pinion may be "looser" given its been serviced (removed, reinstalled, removed, reinstalled, etc). Some times the pinions need to be "tightened". Yes they can be tweaked.

My question is why are you replacing the existing hands? they look fine to me. The lume can be retouched if you need.
Old 10 May 2020, 04:40 PM   #12
mongobongo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it should fit but what you often encounter with vintage watches is the original hand pinion may be "looser" given its been serviced (removed, reinstalled, removed, reinstalled, etc). Some times the pinions need to be "tightened". Yes they can be tweaked.

My question is why are you replacing the existing hands? they look fine to me. The lume can be retouched if you need.
OK, I follow you now,

That would be some subtle tweak! A matter of slightly "abrasing" the pinion shaft so that there is increased friction at the point of contact between the pinion and hands.

Hopefully this should not be an issue, I imagine I was the first person to get the watched serviced and that was in 1999.

So the hands would have been removed only that one time.

I wish to bring the watch to as close to its original condition as possible and with parts that are made for the watch. You could say its part OCD and part in the belief that the watch will keep its value longer by being in better condition as it ages.

I am at fault for the lume falling out the hour hand and I want to right the wrong I did. Didnt know how fragile the lume was, stupidly thought that with a qtip I could gently "wipe" the surface to clean it, of course this was before I started reading about vintage watches and that certain attributes are desirable in a vintage watch hand.

If I had know, i would have simply removed the hands and replaced them with some aftermarket ones for better visibility and stored the original for safe keeping. Now I am having to buy some original NOS (found for 250$ AUS) and an aftermarket pair (live and learn.....)

Finding all the parts I need is proving time consuming and will be overly expensive though I hope to fulfill this.

I have a thread about that at another forum, are we allowed to link to other watch forums or would it be better to start a restoration thread here ??