The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10 July 2020, 04:35 PM   #91
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Thanks for sharing the experience. I read the entire story and the bottom line is stay loyal to 1 ad and he/she will take care of ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2020, 04:53 PM   #92
Reign
"TRF" Member

It’s a good story and I believe all of that, even turning down the Daytona.

Best of luck and hope you get the GMT soon

Old 10 July 2020, 05:22 PM   #93
Freelance
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Thanks for sharing. I have been fortunate to be in "Mr Watch's" position in the past. I was even offered a SS Daytona "gratis" if I purchased a $$$,$$$ Patek! (this was over a decade ago). Out of my budget, never happened, could care less about Patek...

There is one major problem with all this AD Relationship talk.

Salespeople move on, stores change management/policy. I have had to "break-in" 4 different salespeople at my Rolex AD since 2008. They have gone through computer system changes twice, loosing my early purchase history. It has gotten tiresome. My 4th sales guy just moved on as well. So that means I am on #5.

I look back at activity with Sales Rep #4, and building that relationship, I bought 3 watches from him to land my Pepsi within 6 months. Now that he has moved on, I think I am done playing the game.

First world problems. :-)
Old 10 July 2020, 05:40 PM   #94
Austin in Japan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Steel Professional
3. Mr. Watch bought a $70,000 USD ring from the sales guy for a wedding anniversary

That'll do it.
Old 10 July 2020, 11:43 PM   #95
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 12671
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
This has been a common question on the forum. “What did you have to do to be offered a Pepsi or Daytona?” “How much did you spend?”

I recently met someone who has been offered a Daytona twice, so I have a vague idea of the ANSWERS to the above questions.

This is a true story, zero exaggeration.

Scroll to the bottom if you just want the answers. If you want the story, please read along, as it took me a while to type it.

I’m typing this just to answer your questions and out of respect for this great man that I have been fortunate enough to meet.

I met a man that is about 52 years of age, about 8 months ago. I’ll call him Mr. Watch.

We started talking about watches and that led to us having dinner a few weeks later and just kind of getting closer to each other.

He asked me what watch i was interested in next and I said “maybe a GMT but they are really hard to get”

He then told me he wanted to go to the AD to ask for a yellow gold SkyDweller and asked if I would join.

Of course I said yes.

We walked into the AD, and AD that I have been to several times.

When I have walked in (in the past) I am greeted by a “hi, welcome in.” And I walk around and it takes a few minutes for someone to actually come talk to me and ask me if I need help.

When I walked in with my friend, one of the sales ladies said “Mr. Watch! How are you?! Your sales guy is waiting for you, please wait here while I run and get him.”

She speedwalked to the back of the store and got the sales guy.

He said “Mr. Watch! Such a pleasure to see you again. How is the wife? How are the kids? How was your trip to California?”

After they talked about family and church, they talked about watches, just like watch guys talk about watches.

About movements, new releases, old watches, what has changed in their collections and all....

It was amazing. As I’ve never met a sales person that is into watches.

My friend introduced me to the sales guy, and we talked watches for a bit. He then asked me if I am interested in anything.

I shyly and timidly said “I would be great if you can find me a GMT”

He replied “of course I can find you one. I will put you on the list under Mr. Watch as he is one of our PREFERRED customers, and I hope to get your watch sooner than later.”

He told me about how he found TWO Daytona for Mr. Watch but he wasn’t interested, both times, and he respected that.

He then asked for my cell phone number and gave me his.

My friend ordered a YG SkyD with champagne dial, and we left.

When we left I received a message from the sales guy saying how great it was to meet me and saying that he will get me the watch.

That had never happened to me before.

Will he get me the watch?

I really hope so, but even if he doesn’t, I am very thankful for the experience and for the friendship that I have developed with Mr. Watch. I have learned a ton from him and consider him a friend and mentor.

Now to answer the question about how to build the AD relationship.

In talking to Mr. Watch. I learned a few things about his “relationship” to the AD sales guy.

1. Mr. Watch bought his engagement rings from the sales guy 15 years ago, when his finances weren’t what they are today

2. Mr. Watch has bought several watches and other jewelry from the same sales guy for about 15 years

3. Mr. Watch bought a $70,000 USD ring from the sales guy for a wedding anniversary

4. Mr. Watch was offered a Daytona twice and said no twice. (Any flipper would’ve bought to sell, but he said no because he doesn’t like steel Rolex)

5. Mr. Watch is a watch guy and has been one for years. He knows and owns Breitling, Omega, Tag, Panerai and others. He’s not a guy that is just hooked on “hot” Rolex watches.

I think those 5 answers kind of say a lot.

To me, it was a great experience and now I know what a relationship takes.

Thanks for reading.
Great Story. I believe you will get your watch. Continue the communication with the sales guy and develop the relationship. The conversation does not always have to be about the watch, as you experienced in that first meeting. Good Luck and Good hunting!
Old 11 July 2020, 12:13 AM   #96
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:

I think those 5 answers kind of say a lot.

To me, it was a great experience and now I know what a relationship takes.

Thanks for reading.
This is like Seinfeld's "Master of his Domain." When I got to #3 I knew I'm out.
Old 11 July 2020, 12:20 AM   #97
quadraaa
"TRF" Member

There is no such a single thing as an "AD relationship". It's a spectrum, where on the one end you walk into an AD for the first time and on the other end you have what was described by the OP. Even if you bought a DJ you already have some sort of a relationship, which should be enough to get you less-in-demand sports watches like Explorer or Sub after a wait. It depends on the market and the AD, of course, but from my experience a small history of purchases is much better than no history at all.
Old 11 July 2020, 12:45 AM   #98
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Getting an introduction to a good AD through a valued customer is probably the best way to start an AD relationship.
always very beneficial to have friends in high places.
Old 12 July 2020, 03:07 AM   #99
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Getting an introduction to a good AD through a valued customer is probably the best way to start an AD relationship. A friend has introduced to 2 ADs via phone calls or texts that have treated him well and they immediately treated me well and offered me excellent discounts - still do. We have both many watches from each, and for the hard to get watches wait for a long time, but always get a great discount to this day.

That’s awesome

Old 12 July 2020, 03:09 AM   #100
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaMoe View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience with us Jesus. I’ve read it twice now. A lot of lessons to be learned. I’ve only started a relationship with a salesperson with my local AD as I’m fairly new to the hobby. My coworker introduced me to her a month ago as I was looking for a YM 40mm blue dial. He has purchased a few watches from her. She said she can get it and I pulled the trigger instantly. We actually stopped by the AD during lunch today just because we were bored and gave her a heads up that we were coming by. She greeted us both by our names and we just talked about watches for 30min. Second time I’ve met her but it felt like we knew each other for years. I feel that’s how you start a relationship and down the line I might be offered a hot watch (after a few purchases of course). You have to start somewhere. Getting on the forums and crying about not getting the hottest watch out there only side tracks your relationship building with that AD.

Thanks for reading Moe. Sounds like you guys are off to a goood start! I hope all goes well
Old 12 July 2020, 03:09 AM   #101
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymike83 View Post
Thanks for sharing the experience. I read the entire story and the bottom line is stay loyal to 1 ad and he/she will take care of ya.

Old 12 July 2020, 03:10 AM   #102
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
It’s a good story and I believe all of that, even turning down the Daytona.

Best of luck and hope you get the GMT soon

Thanks!

Old 12 July 2020, 03:13 AM   #103
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance View Post
Thanks for sharing. I have been fortunate to be in "Mr Watch's" position in the past. I was even offered a SS Daytona "gratis" if I purchased a $$$,$$$ Patek! (this was over a decade ago). Out of my budget, never happened, could care less about Patek...

Salespeople move on, stores change management/policy. I have had to "break-in" 4 different salespeople at my Rolex AD since 2008. They have gone through computer system changes twice, loosing my early purchase history. It has gotten tiresome. My 4th sales guy just moved on as well. So that means I am on #5.

I look back at activity with Sales Rep #4, and building that relationship, I bought 3 watches from him to land my Pepsi within 6 months. Now that he has moved on, I think I am done playing the game.

Gratis!?

That’s insane

Yes I can certainly see how relationships can also go downhill.

I myself wouldn’t buy stuff i don’t want in order to get the one watch I want, but if you just happen to be a big spender anyway, buying nice things for the wife, I don’t see the problem.

The relationship I described isn’t mine of course, I just wanted to share what it took for Mr. Watch to become a preferred customer.

Old 12 July 2020, 03:13 AM   #104
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevers63 View Post
Great Story. I believe you will get your watch. Continue the communication with the sales guy and develop the relationship. The conversation does not always have to be about the watch, as you experienced in that first meeting. Good Luck and Good hunting!

Thank you

Old 12 July 2020, 06:17 PM   #105
Freelance
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Gratis!?

That’s insane
Keep in mind this was 12 years ago, there was no Rolex craze/shortage. I could walk into the AD and purchase almost any Rolex out of the case with 12%-20% discount depending on the "metal" involved. So a SS Daytona in 2008, which they did hold back for special customers, were nothing for them to kick-in on a six-figure Patek deal.

Wish I had a crystal ball. :-)
Old 12 July 2020, 06:44 PM   #106
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
If your name is Mr Jesus Watch, you are not going to have many problems...
Old 12 July 2020, 06:52 PM   #107
din64
Banned

Thanks for sharing OP. It took Mr Watch 15 years of built relationship and some $$ too. I hope to have a good relationship with an AD but hope not to wait that long...
I'm sure you'll get your order too.
Old 13 July 2020, 01:01 AM   #108
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin in Japan View Post

That'll do it.
Have to agree and if I was in the market for any watch, if any AD wanted me to spend crazy money before selling me one of these so called hot watches, afraid the second word, politely said, would be off.Again if I as in the market for one of these so called hot watches,the cheaper option would be buy from the grey market but not a fan of that either.Its only the past around 10 years all the AD relationship stuff started, sometimes the WIS can be his/hers worst enemy making a rod for his/hers own back..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 13 July 2020, 07:59 AM   #109
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Keep in mind this was 12 years ago, there was no Rolex craze/shortage. I could walk into the AD and purchase almost any Rolex out of the case with 12%-20% discount depending on the "metal" involved. So a SS Daytona in 2008, which they did hold back for special customers, were nothing for them to kick-in on a six-figure Patek deal.

Wish I had a crystal ball. :-)

The good times!

Old 13 July 2020, 08:00 AM   #110
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
If your name is Mr Jesus Watch, you are not going to have many problems...

Well it’s not, so....

Hahaha

Old 13 July 2020, 08:00 AM   #111
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by din64 View Post
Thanks for sharing OP. It took Mr Watch 15 years of built relationship and some $$ too. I hope to have a good relationship with an AD but hope not to wait that long...
I'm sure you'll get your order too.

I’m sure every AD is different.

Small town vs big city and all.

Good luck and thank you!

Old 13 July 2020, 08:04 AM   #112
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Better question...what WOULDN’T you do to create a successful relationship? That might be a dangerous one lol!
Old 13 July 2020, 10:02 AM   #113
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

That'll do it.
Old 14 July 2020, 03:20 AM   #114
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I met a man that is about 52 years of age, about 8 months ago. I’ll call him Mr. Watch.

We started talking about watches and that led to us having dinner a few weeks later and just kind of getting closer to each other

My friend introduced me to the sales guy, and we talked watches for a bit. He then asked me if I am interested in anything.
He then asked for my cell phone number and gave me his.
Schoolboy meets 52 year old man...

Not sure if this is a heart-warming story, or whether I should call the police...

Old 14 July 2020, 05:51 AM   #115
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:

That'll do it.
Old 14 July 2020, 06:57 AM   #116
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
Schoolboy meets 52 year old man...

Not sure if this is a heart-warming story, or whether I should call the police...

Hahahaha

Maybe it’s a cry for help lol

Old 19 July 2020, 08:05 PM   #117
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post
In my city (small in EU) you don't need to build relationships, there's currently a blue sky-dweller for sale in the window (listprice)

That’s great! There must be no tourism where you live.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Closed Thread